refrigerator not working on electric

tc0429

Just purchased a new Pioneer RG28. When I start up my refrigerator on gas, it works fine. When I turn the gas off, with the rv hooked to 30 amp service, the refrigerator check light starts to flash, and just the light inside is working. I hit the off switch to reset it and try it again. With the gas still off, I turn on the switch, and can here the ignitor attempt to light, but it can not, due to no gas of course. Instead of going to electric, the check light flashes again. I have the same refrigerator in my Rockwood and it ran on electric by itself. Also, the hot water heater is doing the same, real hot on gas, but hardly any on electric. When I did my walk through at the dealership, they had it plugged in and the gas on. Am I doing something wrong, or does it sound like warranty work? Thanks

danemayer

Hi tc0429,

For the refrigerator, you might check the circuit breakers to make sure none have tripped. Don't rely on a visual check. Flip them down and back up.

If that doesn't help, check to make sure the outlet for the refrigerator is live. If you don't have a volt meter, try plugging something else into that outlet to verify it's on.

Also, sometimes the outlets are on the GFCI protected circuit. Check in the bathroom. The outlet there is probably a GFCI with a TEST and RESET button. Try resetting it.

With the water heater, check the outdoor shower - make sure the faucets are turned off. Also, check the winterizing valves. If the crossover valve is open, you can get a mix of hot and cold water coming out the hot faucet. Normally this would affect gas operation too, so odds are low, but it's worth checking.

tc0429

I figured the refrigerator must be getting power if the inside light was working, it is just not cooling on electric. All the other receptacles appear to be working fine, went around and check them while inspecting. Where is that winterizing valve located? I checked the outside shower for operation and shut it off. Thanks

danemayer

The light in the refrigerator runs off 12V DC so it'll work on both gas and electric operation. So that doesn't tell you anything abouts whether the refrigerator is getting 120V AC. You need to check the outlet. Look on the outside wall for the louvered vent covers. The outlet is probably inside the lower vent.

I'm afraid I don't know the location of your winterizing valves. If another Pioneer owner sees this thread, perhaps they'll chime in. Otherwise, you may have to call your dealer and ask. Or call Heartland Customer Service at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030. Have your VIN # ready. They should be able to tell you the location.