Refrigerator Use on the road

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
All fire prevention people I have ever talked to demand the propane be off when fueling. This include turning on the off the on off switch on the water heater and the refrigerator so the electronic spark does not spark causing fuel vapors to ignite. Marv, your a retired fireman, are you out there to answer this?

rick_debbie_gallant

Are we talking about refueling our tow vehicle or refueling the propane tank in the 5th wheel? FYI propane and gasoline vapors are heavier than air and will sink to the ground and should not present a problem. Diesel really does not give off flammable vapors, it just plain stinks. So I am not sure what the question is.:confused:

jmgratz

If you have ever been fueling and someone pulls into the pump on the other side of the island they could be using gasoline while you are using diesel there could be a problem. Also while refilling propane bottles they bottles must be removed from the vehicle unless the it is a tank attached to the vehicle i.e. motor home. In that case everyone must vacate the vehicle and all ignition sources turned off. (Texas state law) and common sense.

Northern Virginia
On our Dometic refrigerator, when using LP gas on the Auto mode, the gas will lock out for 15 minutes when the tow vehicle's engine is shut off (for the reasons pointed out earlier when refueling) However, if the Gas Only mode is selected, it will not lock out.

So while it is an added safety feature, you wouldn't want to linger around the pumps longer than 15 minutes!:eek:

rick_debbie_gallant

On our Dometic refrigerator, when using LP gas on the Auto mode, the gas will lock out for 15 minutes when the tow vehicle's engine is shut off (for the reasons pointed out earlier when refueling) However, if the Gas Only mode is selected, it will not lock out.

So while it is an added safety feature, you wouldn't want to linger around the pumps longer than 15 minutes!:eek:

I was under the impression that the "auto mode" meant that it would switch from either "AC" or "Propane". AC when hooked to shore power and propane when not.:confused:

SmokeyBare

We've tossed this question around before...

It's one of those questions that has no right answer for some folks... in their eyes the "FEAR" of the Fridge being off for a few hours of travel time is just too much for them. For the life of me I don't understand what's all the fuss is over the Fridge being turned off. I have traveled as much as 10 hours with the Fridge being OFF... No Power at any of the rest stops... no power when we are in the restaurants for a meal on the road. It has always stayed COLD... Ice box is still frozen... Ice cubes are still solid as well. But I'm sure no matter how many times this is covered there will be those who feel it's "No Big Deal".

The Big Deal to me has always been Safety. Any time I can eliminate a source of Ignition for what ever flammable vapor that floats in it's path... I'm Happy !! I also unplug the coffee pot each time I use it... the toaster as well. Do I unplug everything?? HECK NO... I do run an electric heater in our BigHorn... I leave the TV's plugged in as well as the surround sound system.

The small flame on the Fridge or Hot Water Tank... (Nope, we've not touched on keeping that flame burning have we) may look like a LOW RISK to some...it may strike them as unlikely it will cause a FIRE... But I've seen the results of an RV Fire... and no, for the record the ones I have seen were not caused by a gas flame of the Fridge. There is no saving one of these Rigs... once they catch fire. Fire grows by seconds...

To anyone still reading this RAMBLING reply... for my own travel style... I leave the Valves off when we are traveling. The Power button is in the OFF position on the Fridge... the Hot Water Tank is OFF... my Solar System's Inverter is OFF. And Most times... I've even lowered the over the air TV antenna as well... (since its now repaired) :) We've even been warned NOT to use the Cell Phone when fueling at a Gas Station... We've also been warned to Remove the portable gas tank from the bed of the Truck when filling them... Static Electric can and does ignite gasoline vapors.

Oh, by the way... I know my Chevy and the Dometic Fridge are not communicating either... the Fridge does not know when the Duramax is running...

jbeletti

I was under the impression that the "auto mode" meant that it would switch from either "AC" or "Propane". AC when hooked to shore power and propane when not.:confused:

Your impression is accurate to the extent that you have propane, the tanks are on, the battery cut-off switch (if so equipped) is on, you have AC power and the refer is plugged into it. Then AUTO mode works as designed.

I think the OP may be refering to something they read. I recall a thread on this a while back. I think someone found out that there is a feature available on the refer for a Motorhome application or some such. To my knowledge, no such feature has been implemented in our application.

Jim

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ditto to SmokeyBare. If I were going to error I would rather error on the safe side. Turn it off. Can't hurt..

BC

rick_debbie_gallant

I am not trying to "flame" anyone, but:

FYI: The specific gravity of propane is 1.52, or in other words 1.52 times heavier than air. (Read that propane vapors sink rather rapidly to the ground).

Gasoline vapors on the other hand has a specific gravity of 2.8 or in other words 2.8 times heavier than air. Read that gasoline vapors sink really fast to the ground which would present little to no chance for a pilot light caused fire, etc.,.

Imho it is far more likely for the catalytic converter on vehicles to cause a gasoline vapor fire or explosion in the event of a spill or other wise, than that of a fridge pilot lite or active flame, the same goes for the hot water heater. In fact I have seen several fires started by a vehicle with a hot catalytic converter that had parked over dry leaves in the gutter or dry leaves or grass on the ground.:eek:

I am sure that drivers of gasoline operated vehicles dont wait long enough for their catalytic converters to cool off prior to refueling, do you?:confused: again IMHO it is very unlikely for a fridge pilot light or flame to cause a gasoline vapor or gasoline spill fire or flashback as some people are fearful of. Just my 5 cents worth (adjusted for inflation or (specific gravity)).

jmgratz

I am not trying to "flame" anyone, but:

FYI: The specific gravity of propane is 1.52, or in other words 1.52 times heavier than air. (Read that propane vapors sink rather rapidly to the ground).

Gasoline vapors on the other hand has a specific gravity of 2.8 or in other words 2.8 times heavier than air. Read that gasoline vapors sink really fast to the ground which would present little to no chance for a pilot light caused fire, etc.,.

Imho it is far more likely for the catalytic converter on vehicles to cause a gasoline vapor fire or explosion in the event of a spill or other wise, than that of a fridge pilot lite or active flame, the same goes for the hot water heater. In fact I have seen several fires started by a vehicle with a hot catalytic converter that had parked over dry leaves in the gutter or dry leaves or grass on the ground.:eek:

I am sure that drivers of gasoline operated vehicles dont wait long enough for their catalytic converters to cool off prior to refueling, do you?:confused: again IMHO it is very unlikely for a fridge pilot light or flame to cause a gasoline vapor or gasoline spill fire or flashback as some people are fearful of. Just my 5 cents worth (adjusted for inflation or (specific gravity)).

Are you willing to bet your family or your lives on those "facts" . I am not. I will opt on the side of safety. I also think that "Mac the fire guy" would beg to differ with your opnion. :)

jbeletti

Are you willing to bet your family or your lives on those "facts" . I am not. I will opt on the side of safety. I also think that "Mac the fire guy" would beg to differ with your opnion. :)

Not to make light of this serious matter, only wanting to let the cat out of the bag on something related.

Come to the 2010 North American Heartland Owners Rally to debate "Mac the Fire Guy" in person. He will be one of our featured seminar presenters at this rally in Nashville in July.

Jim

rick_debbie_gallant

Jim:

There is not really much to debate.

If anyone wants to error on the side of safety then by all means do it. One can't be to safe these days.

However believing that the act of shutting off an rv's propane valve while traveling or refueling will make things safer or not, well that is up to each person to decide.

I feel completely safe traveling with my valves open and fridge on, even when refueling.

I do not however feel safe with an electric heater operating in my r.v. I have seen way to many deadly fires caused by electric heaters.

Be safe!

again my nickels worth