Reminder: Time to winterize the refrigerator water feed line

danemayer

Temperatures are dropping in lots of locations. The refrigerator water feed line needs special attention even if you're living in the coach full time. On most of our rigs, the water line is routed under the slideout and the light weight poly line is exposed to outside air. As soon as temps fall below freezing, the poly line will be damaged.

To prevent damage, you must evacuate the water from the feed line and close the cutoff valve.

This applies to conventional RV refrigerators, and to Residential refrigerators.

The Residential Refrigerator Guide has instructions on how to winterize the Residential Refrigerator water line, and includes additional information if you're putting your rig into storage for the winter.

If you have a Norcold or Dometic fridge, their user manuals have instructions, and our Winterization Guide has additional information.

The Winterization Guide also has instructions on winterizing your washing machine.

And if you have a dishwasher, there are instructions in the Landmark 365 User Guide.

And of course, you can get to all the user guides by clicking on TOOLS at top of page and selecting HUG - Heartland User Guides.

oldelmer1

I just finished reading how to winterize the refrigerator and I noticed that it is suggested to not use antifreeze in the ice maker or water dispenser.

When I bought the camper and went thru the PDI the tech told me to use it and that the water filter will take the pink color out, so he said to smell the liquid coming out to be sure its antifreeze.

Do any of you just use the antifreeze anyway?

Thanks.

jbeletti

While the filter may remove the pink, you'd then want to change that filter and they are expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldelmer1

Hi Jim, yes, I know they are expensive. I already bought 2 replacements. But its the end of the season and I planned on changing it in the spring anyway.

Nuclearcowboy

I just finished reading how to winterize the refrigerator and I noticed that it is suggested to not use antifreeze in the ice maker or water dispenser.

When I bought the camper and went thru the PDI the tech told me to use it and that the water filter will take the pink color out, so he said to smell the liquid coming out to be sure its antifreeze.

Do any of you just use the antifreeze anyway?

Thanks.
I would not recommend putting anti-freeze through the ice maker line - even though advertised as non-toxic, I wouldn't take any chances in not being able to get it all out when wanting to use the ice maker or water dispenser if you have one.

TomSt

Past New Jersey Chapter Leader
Right now I am trying to bleed out the water by connecting an air tank at about 30psi to the drain line under the slide. I hope to have the ice maker cycle through and automatically blow air into the lines and thereby clean out solenoid and other lines.

Dennyha

Also . . . don't forget to blow out the outside shower!

And don't forget to hook up the outside shower/faucet to the black tank flush valve to clear all of the water from that. This is an easy one to forget.