Removing Hub Cap

KiwiRVer

This may sound a silly question but what is the trick to removing the plastic grease nipple access cover on the hub cap of the Big Country wheels?

There is a little slot that should be where you put a flat blade screwdriver to lever it off but when I did so the plastic cap started to crack and the chrome hub cap against which the screwdriver was levering dented and I do not want to do any more damage. I also don't want to pull the whole wheel off just to top off the grease in the hub.

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I had the same issue on my 2012 BH and posted the same question. After some replies I went at it again this time with a different frame of mind. Start at the insert and pry a little and then move around the disc as you begin lifting it. Also try it in different temperatures the plastic may expand enough or contract enough to assist in the removal. There will be a little mark due too the tightness of the cap maybe some fine sand paper when done to take down the burr. ALso try different width flat blade sccrewdrivers.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Murry is correct. I decided to just remove the plastic cover all together as I like to touch the hub whenever we stop to make sure none of them have excessive heat. They are strictly cosmetic (they are pretty), but I prefer the easy access and I think it looks fine without them. You do have to remove the wheel to remove the entire cup.

caissiel

All my friends SOB 5er have no caps on theirs to. So far I have been able to revove the caps and reinstall them ok.