repair or replace shower enclosure

Tweedy

During shake down cruise of new unit we discovered a small pea size hole in the fibreglass shower enclosure close to the floor. It was hard to see because the hole was not punched right out. A postage size piece of Gorilla tape has temporarily solved the problem. Heartland has agreed to replace the entire shower-tub enclosure. I am a bit nervous considering the amount of work involved to remove all the plumbing, calking etc etc. and then restore as new. Our dealer says, as an alternative, they have a local professional who can repair the fibreglass for them. The damage is hardly visible now and I am not convinced this could be done without making a repair look more obvious. Looking for advice.

Garypowell

Really don't know much about fiberglass repair. But if the patch is "stiffer" than the original material you might, over time, end up with a stress crack where the patch borders are. Might not be a concern if the shower is firmly in place but I have seen some report how their shower floors seem to move.

It might also depend on how good the warranty was on the patch repair. It probably wouldn't hurt to speak to the repair company and find their level of expertise.

I do share your concern about taking everything apart....just wanted to give you something to think about as you proceed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lynn1130

Can't tell you about a trailer bath/shower but I have had fiberglass repair done to home bathtubs in the past and if the people doing it are good you will never be able to tell it was broken.

mlpeloquin

Replace it. All work is under warranty and will be made right. All trim, flooring, cabinets, etc. are in production and can be replaced if damaged.

sengli

When I have taken the numerous factory tours, that shower stall is installed before any of the walls are in place, during the units build. I cant think how they would be able to remove and replace that large fiberglass enclosure with the coach being completed. I would be very concerned that it would all go back together w/o issues too.

farside291

If the shower is near the bedroom they would probably pull the bedroom slide out and the adjoining wall. My vote would be to repair it. I also have had fiberglass repaired and you can't even tell they made a repair unless you can see the back side of the repair.

Lynn1130

I have learned over time that small repairs like this (fiberglass repair) are much safer that allowing them to tear something apart and possibly do more damage. As said I had tub fiberglass repairs done (by the builder when the house was new) and you can't tell it was ever damaged.

I would try the fiberglass repair with the stipulation that if it looks bad they do the other more invasive. Get it in writing!

sjandbj

I have learned over time that small repairs like this (fiberglass repair) are much safer that allowing them to tear something apart and possibly do more damage. As said I had tub fiberglass repairs done (by the builder when the house was new) and you can't tell it was ever damaged.

I would try the fiberglass repair with the stipulation that if it looks bad they do the other more invasive. Get it in writing!

I would agree with this. Pulling the shower out and replacing it would be a big mess. If the dealer has not done this before I would worry that the end result might be worse the the starting job. I had the shower wall repaired on mine since the factory decided that the holder for the shower head should be installed 4 feet from the bottom. The repair is not visible. A good fiberglass guy should be able to do it just fine.
Steve

Bobby A

If Heartland allows you to come to the service center/ factory, those guys are amazing and will make it right, I certainly would NOT allow a dealer to do it though. A fiberglass repair shop for repair, maybe. But like the other poster said, get it in writing if the repair doesn't hold you will take Heartland up on there offer. Just my 2cents worth !!

Tweedy

Thanks to all for the feedback / advice. While checking further into the issue of replacement vs repair, I have learned the tub (where the small hole is) is a separate installation below the shower enclosure and only that has to be replaced. This can be done without disturbing the upper shower area and plumbing etc. Therefore the complexity of this exercise is greatly reduced. My dealer assures me they have replaced others and know what they're doing (gulp). Anyway, in light of this new information I will probably elect to go ahead with replacement. Thanks again everyone - happy RV'ing.

Tweedy

Our final decision was to have the tub and shower enclosure replaced. Although the replacement tub was slightly deeper than the old one, the repair tech was able to trim it down to fit. turned out good as new.