REPAIRED: Structural damage from flexing on 4100 King

haulinem

Recently noticed some issues with the paneling in and around the driver's side closet. Upon further inspection we found that there is substantial flexing going on when we transition from the front landing gear onto the hitch and tow vehicle. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I have initiated the warranty process with Heartland. I tried to include a video and some photos but just not tech savvy enough I guess.

Terry & Grace

oscar

Re: Structural damage from flexing on 4100 King

Yes, there is some movement in the forward closet. At this point it doesn't seem to bee too bad, or increasing. I'll be interested to see what you learn though. Please keep us posted.

Mizmary

I haven't noticed but we have only had the unit a couple of months. Definitely keep us posted. Where exactly is the flex issue happening? I want to check next time we hook up.

haulinem

\
I haven't noticed but we have only had the unit a couple of months. Definitely keep us posted. Where exactly is the flex issue happening? I want to check next time we hook up.

Not exactly sure of the cause or exact location until they get it apart. The damage as a result includes separation and buckling of the paneling on the inside of the closets and also on the outside of one closet under the pad for the sitting booth. The buckling is more severe when the pressure is off the landing legs and on the hitch. It also causes the closet doors to get out of alignment making them hard or impossible to latch shut. The flexing can also be seen on the outside where the piece of trim runs down under the front corner of the bedroom slide out. If you watch the lower end of the trim while raising the landing legs and you have severe flexing going on you can see it there.

Mizmary

Thanks. We don't have the seat but I know where that would be in ours. Ill be watching for it the next time we hook up.

Mizmary

Wow. That is bad. Did you buy yours new? What year is it? That seam doesn't seem to exist on ours camper. I hope heartland and lippert come through for you!!

haulinem

034.jpg033.jpg
This is the damage from the flexing. This is actually two different pictures. On the left is inside the closet.

haulinem

Wow. That is bad. Did you buy yours new? What year is it? That seam doesn't seem to exist on ours camper. I hope heartland and lippert come through for you!!

2013 purchased new last August. I talked to Heartland today and they indicated I'll probably need to take it to the factory for them and Lippert to address it.

Vtxkid

Sorry to hear of the fram flex on a newer model... I know that Heartland with Lipperts help will make it right. I had a flex under the bedroom slide also and it was out of warranty, and they fixed it. Just be prepared to loose it for a week (plus the travel back and forth) up in Elkhart as Heartland will not authorized this work to any other location...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Wrenched

I was just going to call Heartland about our 4100 with similar issues. Although it is nowhere near as bad as yours. The inside panels in the front closets have popped out all the staples and stick out about 3 inches when the trailer is hitched to the TV. I can't push them in with the weight on the truck. I've also noticed flexing on the left outside trim - it's pushed up about 1/2 inch and broken all the caulking so water now leaks into the front. Our 4100 is a 2013 built last year.

piet10

After reading these posts I decided to check my unit for flex before there was any internal or external damage. I taped a string halfway up the front cap, and taped the other end taut to the kingpin. After hooking up to the truck, the string was only slightly less taut, which I think is normal.

Is this a valid way to check for frame flex?

Al

scottyb

Gosh haulinem, Good luck and I hope it all works out for you. I hope mine is not doing the same. I have not noticed anything yet. Going to Elkhart would not be an option for me.

ParkIt

Video is scary in the "whoa" way.
My guess is these are some of the Lippert frames that have failed and were weak before HL even put them on your units (includes others with the same issue). I think its why HL is fixing them in or out of warranty, there was mention from another member Lippert was at the HL factory fixing theirs which would make sense.

Hope they get yours done quickly even if you have to travel to the plant to get it fixed.

Wrenched

Heartland replied quickly after I sent before and after photos and they are going to be arranging a date for me to bring the unit back to the factory for repair.

mattpopp

Trouble Maker

I hope you don't have a long drive to the factory. I would be worried about the metal fatigue at where its flexing and then having the trailer spilt during the transit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

Vtxkid

If the unit is under warranty, Its my understanding that Heartland will arrange to have the RV brought to them and returned...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

haulinem

I hope you don't have a long drive to the factory. I would be worried about the metal fatigue at where its flexing and then having the trailer spilt during the transit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

I have been assured the issue won't prevent the rig from being towed. HL has responded quickly and offered to have someone pickup and return the rig but I am going to deliver it myself. I just feel better towing it myself since I have an air ride hitch. Unfortunately, they are booked solid until December if I want a scheduled one week turn around.

Terry

haulinem

After reading these posts I decided to check my unit for flex before there was any internal or external damage. I taped a string halfway up the front cap, and taped the other end taut to the kingpin. After hooking up to the truck, the string was only slightly less taut, which I think is normal.

Is this a valid way to check for frame flex?

Al

Not sure Al. After noticing the damage inside the closets (which was repaired once by the dealer) and a gap above the closet door I contacted HL who advised me to watch the area where the joint and trim is below the front of the bedroom slide when lowering the rig onto the TV. Also when I had the paneling fixed by the dealer before the damage was not as severe which makes me think this is a condition that gets progressively worse over time.

Terry