Repairing the black tank valve

JanAndBill

Actually that wasn't it. It was just a small rectangle shaped piece of plastic that jammed down into the valve. They had no idea where it came from. Don't think it was in the valve from the beginning because everything worked great for a few weeks.

57chevyconvt

Jim,

I'd put a twist-on external gate valve on the end of the sewer line rather than use the cap. That way you won't have a mess when it's time to drain the line. Also, after you let it soften, you might try keeping the problem valve open while backflushing and draining repeatedly.

Thanks Dan, your idea saved me a mess of a cleanup to myself and the surrounding area. Using this method of cleaning the TP from the black water valve worked as planned. I did add about 1/2 of a spray can of silicone spray to the three gallons warm water with Dawn soap, hopefully the silicone spray helped lubricate the slide gate and rubber sealing rings. At this juncture the valve is working without push/pull resistance.

Dave49

I use calgon bath beads in the tank. This puts a lube in the water and keeps the valves lubed somewhat. Another thing I do is always use LOTS of water when you flush. Every once in awhile my valve gets tuff to pull and I just add more calgon and fill with water and it starts pulling easy once again. Dave

57chevyconvt

Thanks Dave, will get some calgon bath beads to add to the black water tank for valve lubrication. Is there any certain amount of beads that you add to each tank?