Replace bedroom vent with exhaust fan vent

Teedee

Edit: should have mentioned, I have a 2013 Sundance 3300QS. The bathroom exhaust fan vent might be no more than 6' from the bedroom vent.

There is a regular vent in the bedroom. I would love to have an fan vent to help exhaust the hot air out of the bedroom.

Is that even possible? Would there be wiring there (ceiling, vent hole) somewhere perhaps got upgrades?? If yes, I would definitely hire a professional, but would like to know the wiring is "there" first.

Last edited:

Bogie

You don't say what RV you have. But even if you have 50 amp service and second AC Prep, I don't think there would be a 12 volt wire there. If I remember correctly (way to many sleeps) when I added a powered vent to my bedroom I had to fish a 12 volt wire. Fortunately, I had a powered vent in the bathroom which was only about 4 feet away so fishing a piece of wire in the ceiling cavity from the bathroom vent to the bedroom vent was pretty easy.

So you might look around for the close by 12 volt source that you can safely tap into,
I wouldn't recommend a lighting circuit, as the lights will have to be on in order for the fan to work. If you are not able to make that determination, a pro could probably tell you.

Teedee

You don't say what RV you have. But even if you have 50 amp service and second AC Prep, I don't think there would be a 12 volt wire there. If I remember correctly (way to many sleeps) when I added a powered vent to my bedroom I had to fish a 12 volt wire. Fortunately, I had a powered vent in the bathroom which was only about 4 feet away so fishing a piece of wire in the ceiling cavity from the bathroom vent to the bedroom vent was pretty easy.

So you might look around for the close by 12 volt source that you can safely tap into,
I wouldn't recommend a lighting circuit, as the lights will have to be on in order for the fan to work. If you are not able to make that determination, a pro could probably tell you.
2013 Sundance 3300QS. Do you know of any videos showing this type of reno? I know it's a pro job, but hoping to see just how complex. Maybe not worth what it would cost. I camp weekends and vacations (seasonal) and want to get the heat built up out of the bedroom. Though it would be affordable option to, too expensive bedroom AC install

sengli

I have had to install the powered aftermarket fans in several of my heartland fivers over the years. There should be 12 volts there, all of mine had it, as well as the 120vac for an additional AC. I used the vortex fan insert in mine, which is installed in the OE opening. Easy to do, and you dont have to remove the entire vent assembly.

fluffywhitedogs

I wired a Maxxair to the unpowered front vent in my North Trail 21RBSS. I fished wire from a nearby light. It's a bit of a pain that the light switch needs to be left on but the alternative for me was no fan and since I usually only use 1-2 lights, it's not a big deal to turn them on and off at the fixture. I hate AC so it was very worth it for me!

Last edited:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Remove the interior shroud and take a look for the wires. Four screws, #2 square bit.
If you don't have 12 volt wires but do have wires for a thermostat or 120 power you might consider repurposing those for the 12 volts supply.

Peace
Dave