Replace surburban 12 gallon with 16 gallon?

BobTheBuilder

My 12 gallon unit has had problems with the electric only getting warm but the propane element got it very hot. Now it is not getting very hot on propane either and I am contemplating replacement vs repair (it is 6 years old). Has anyone tried to fit a 16 gallon in there? It is the same width and height but 5" deeper. It appears the water pump would have to be moved back but I think there is sufficient flexible in all of the water lines.
Your thoughts?

danemayer

Before replacing, you should investigate possible causes of the water not being very hot. You may have hot and cold water mixing somewhere. A prime candidate is the exterior shower faucets not being completely off. Another possibility is the winterizing hot water bypass valve being partially open.

SLO

Dan is right. Figure out why you not getting hot water. Changing water heater and still having the same problem is a sick feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

My 12 gallon unit has had problems with the electric only getting warm but the propane element got it very hot. Now it is not getting very hot on propane either and I am contemplating replacement vs repair (it is 6 years old). Has anyone tried to fit a 16 gallon in there? It is the same width and height but 5" deeper. It appears the water pump would have to be moved back but I think there is sufficient flexible in all of the water lines.
Your thoughts?
If your interested, my 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel had faulty thermostat's. Replaced them with new from the manufacturer at no cost. Problem solved. The original were defective.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

BobTheBuilder

Carl--how old was your unit when you discovered the faulty thermostat? And was it you or the dealer who made the determination and got it replaced at no charge?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The Hi-Limit thermostats run about $30 each, the circuit board is around $80. Electric element less than $20. Beyond the gas valving, there isn’t a whole lot of fancy hardware on a Suburban water heater.
Have you tried cleaning the blade-type electrical connectors? They’re known to develop enough oxidation to lose conductivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BobTheBuilder

Thanks to all. I have been so busy with other things (not retired) and since the gas works OK, it has been on the back burner so to speak. However, as the weather has turned colder I really do need the electric to be working so I'll move it up higher on priorities. I have gone through the forum notes on troubleshooting and just have to set aside the time to get to it and do it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Thanks to all. I have been so busy with other things (not retired) and since the gas works OK, it has been on the back burner so to speak. However, as the weather has turned colder I really do need the electric to be working so I'll move it up higher on priorities. I have gone through the forum notes on troubleshooting and just have to set aside the time to get to it and do it.

Since the gas side of your water heater is working, that simplifies matters. Check the heating element continuity and the 120V Hi-Limit Thermostat. The circuit board only works the 12V propane system. Easiest thing is to first press the Reset buttons on the face of the water heater, under the rubber cover and see if it clicks. Then try powering it up again. One is for the 12V side, the other is the 120V heating. According to my schematic, the one on the left is the 120V one.

carl.swoyer

Carl--how old was your unit when you discovered the faulty thermostat? And was it you or the dealer who made the determination and got it replaced at no charge?
My 2012 Landmark Rushmore was diagnosed by the water heater mfg. My thermostat's were made with defective material. The mgf asked me for my serial number and they sent me new thermostats at no charge. I'm thinking they also asked for a picture of them. I believe the defective one were a certain color. That was in 2014.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk