Replacing Duro tires on 22FBS

ronefx

Had 1 blow out on our last trip, so need a replacement, looking at the Maxxi brand tire, burt open to all suggestions. The question I have is sidewall performence, the trailer already has more sway than I would like, so I was curious if I should stay with a bias tire or go to a radial? Just looking for opinions, thanks for your time.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Welcome to the forum! Another Texan! Yay!

Yes, to put it mildly, Duro tires are not the best. I've heard Maxxis is good. I can't tell you specifically what to buy, but I'm sure others will have opinions.

You can probably contact the Mfg. and possibly get reimbursed (with a new Duro tire) for the premature tire failure.

As far as the sway, What are you towing with? Do you have a weight-distribution hitch and/or an anti-sway bar? Is it at a certain speed, or when trucks pass? There may be other solutions to the sway.

ronefx

We have a 2010 Expedition w/ tow pkg & an Equalizer brand hitch. I did call Duro, but they have to be able to know the date of mfg., well that info. got left behind on the road somewhere in Alabama. In addition the rim got messed up b/c we were unaware of the blowout. We are looking to trade off the Expedition for a truck to help with the swaying. The way it is right now I would the setup is not working as good as it could. We did make some changes from where the dealer had set it initially, which seemed to improved things, but still not getting rid of the sway when a big truck passes.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
I used a1999 Expedition to tow a 26' bumper pull TT. A load distribution hitch solved the problems that I had. I also added the anti-sway bar just in case. I pulled way faster than I should have and the towing still felt stable.

I have a 2009 Northtrail 22 FDS. I just put 4 new Maxxis M8008ST's on it. I noticed a world of difference towing. They roll better and the TT seems easier to tow. I think it was in large part to the fact that the tires were balanced prior to being put on the TT. Either way, I have a reese WDH, 1,000lb bars, and dual cam sway control as well so I don't have any sway issues.