Replacing Furnace...........

SmokeyBare

With out question all of the safety detectors should be in tip top working condition. There is no better protection than a Smoke Detector to alert you should there be a fire.

There is no better safety tool than to have an alarm sound when CO2 levels reach a dangerous level... But if I was deeply concerned by CO2... I would invest in a detector that offers a Digital meter to Tell you what level of CO2 has been detected.

Our CO2 Detector is located in the bedroom, on the ceiling near the front wall of the coach. I believe Heartland did a good job selecting this location. If it was placed on the ceiling of the kitchen/living room area... I feel the detector might have given a false alarm. The gas stove burners & the oven produce plenty of CO2.

Although these alarms have been improved over the years... the first units were terrible, many times giving false readings. Many had a built in sensor attached to the battery. When the battery would get weak... the unit started to "Chirp" which brought the worry to the owner about being poisoned by this invisible, odorless, tasteless gas... and a phone call to the Fire Dept.

The government at that time had not yet established an acceptable level of CO2 for home detectors. At that time OSHA did have standards... but they were geared for an 8 Hour Work schedule.

Finally a company came out with a detector that plugged into a 110 Volt outlet as well as having a battery back up built into the detector. This unit had a Digital meter so you could read the number Level of CO2... not just a confusing alarm with no visible reason for it going off.

Eventually Standards were established for the Home Detectors... and slowly over time the early detectors were tossed out... mostly because the battery cost so much to replace. These days CO2 calls are way down.

It's my personal believe that the Oxygen level sensor built into all Vent-less Heaters now days... will shut down the Vent-less Heaters far sooner than a dangerous level of CO2 could be reached. But I also strongly believe a Window or Vent should always been opened slightly... to allow fresh air to be pulled into the room the heater is being used.

Marv