Replacing the recessed lights with the new recesed LED lighting fixtures.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I hope this is the right area for me to post this.

I just finished replacing one of my original recessed halogen lighting fixtures with the new LED fixture that is presented in the RALLY SPECIALS (flyers/coupons) Thread.

RALLY SPECIALS (flyers/coupons)
•Dexter Rally Specials Flyer
•Mor/ryde Rally Specials Flyer
•Lippert Rally Specials Flyer
•Lippert Rally Specials Addendum
•InnoTechRV Rally Specials Flyer
Heartland RVs Recessed LED Lighting Specials Flyer
•RV Parts Nation Flyer/Coupon
•Mary Kay Flyer
•Heartland RVs - New Coach rebate
•Too Crazy Ladies - Badge and Rally Hanger order form

The instructions are helpful but not for all models. I found the following when I went to replace my fixture.
My trailer is a 2008 Bighorn 3400RE.

My original fixture has a base of 2". The new fixture has a base of 3¼”. The space in my slide between the top of the inside of the slide and the paneling on the ceiling of the slide is narrow. Maybe in inch. The original fixture has three springs that are bent down from the base and not 2 along the side of the fixture. I had to just slowly keep pulling down on the fixture until I could see one of the 3 springs then bend it down and then work on another and bend it down to work the fixture out. The wiring is correct. I didn't cut the new fixture wire. I just used a wire stripper and removed more of the insulation with no problem. I did not have a saw or anything other than my sharp Buck pocket knife to open the hole wide enough to insert the new fixture into rhe ceiling of the slide.

I would suggest that you make a 3¼” circle template, put a hole in the center and mark the opening. One of the problems is I had the light off and it was a little hard to see so I connected the new fixture and use it as my light as I cut the opening larger. A small narrow saw blade would help but the grain of the paneling caused me some problem with my Buck knife. I am going to find something at Lowes to do the other 5. There are 3 in each of my livingroom slides.

Here are some photos that may help some of you..

New LED fixture. Small counter sink screws were not included
DSC_1406.JPG

The LED fixture on the left & Original halogen fixture is on the right
DSC_1407.JPG

Original halogen fixture
DSC_1408.JPG

New fixture installed on the right.
DSC_1409.JPG

I hope this helps anyone that is planning to install the new LED fixtures. Your OEM halogen fixture may not be like mine so be sure to take time and make necessary revisements.

FWIW
BC

jbeletti

Great post Bob!

The directions in the flyer were from me based on my single data point of experience.

Some coaches in fact do have a smaller diameter recessed halogen fixture. Bob is now proof that they too can be retrofitted.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I moved the thread to the modifications area.
Instead of using your pocked knife to cut the holes bigger, try a razor knife.
I used one when I changed out a couple of lights. Worked pretty good.
Nice job, by the way.

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Nice Bob.

If I was to do a lot of these I would get the correct size hole saw.

Drill a hole in a piece of 6x6x1/2" (or similar) scrap, center the new template over the existing hole and without the hole saw pilot, make the over sized hole.

Would love to add these to the Cyclone but he exiting lights preclude doing that.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I'm glad you posted this Bob, I was considering them for the two halogen we have in the living room slide. We have the smaller recessed like you. I'm now thinking an led bulb replacement might be easier!!

Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We replaced our 1141 bulbs with 300 lumens, 3000-3500k, they are brighter than incandescent, but still a nice warm light. We love them. That is the standard for any others I will consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mizmary

Ramdually (my husband) picked a good bulb. We tried led's in our sob and I hated how dim they made everything feel. I guess he got tired of me nagging him about how i couldn't see. I love the ones he put in - they are wonderful. And I would tell you if I hated them. He also found some 16led bulbs (flat) that go in the regular ceiling fixtures-- I hate those.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Thanks txbobcat for the info. We ordered the LEDs for the recess lights in our camper, picking them up during the rally and it didn't even occur that they wouldn't fit the current slots. Will have to see if a retrofit will happen at the rally.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Ok Guys.. here is my take on this. The fixtures are not that bad to replace... The entire fixture and LED bulb is $12. 29 for the rally. $13.83 for club members. I think Just the LED is more than that.. I looked for a replacement for the Halogen but did not see anything I liked.

I like the bigger fixtures also and the way they are attached to the slide ceiling. Really hated replacing the halogen bulbs. Had trouble getting the bulb in the two holes in the fixture. Fingers are too big..

Ok I got the two fixtures again and went to take the new fixture LEDs and see what they looked like to replace them... Different ball game..

The new fixtures are hard wired not plugin. If you have to replace the LED it looks like you will have to replace the entire fixture or at least unwire the bulb and put one in that has a wier attached to the circuit board if it will snap into the fixture and use wire nuts thru the fixture base to replace the LED.

I place a quarter on the new LED and one in the small fixture to illustrate the size of the LEDs and such. If I had known that the LED is hardwired into the DC circuit I think I still would have bought them. I really dislike the small fixtures.

DSC_1410.jpg

Anyway this will probably kill it for many because of the replacement. I am disappointed that the LED's are not a plug in replacement in the new fixtures.
How long should we figure the LED should last?? That would be an important factor.. and will we be able to get a replacement easily if needed in the future..

Well there it is...

Hope this is helpful to others.

BC

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, where did you get the second set of LED fixtures? And how many LED's in there?

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our current recessed lights are hardwired in so we knew we were going to have to re-wire. After looking at the LED lights at CW, we just couldn't justify paying right a $40 each. This is still a better deal.

jbeletti

Bob - my guess is the LEDs will last longer that you will own the coach. I know they generally have a REAL long life.

Not to say that 1 or 2 might go bad on the board. But, at $13-$15, an easy fix. Especially if you compare it to most LED bulbs you can buy to fit the Bi-Pin base.

Anyone ever seen any colored LED's? I'm looking to try and find 2 red ones to replace in the bedroom. The white lights over the bed are just a tad to bright if you need to turn them on in the middle of the night.

ramdually4100king

Anyone ever seen any colored LED's? I'm looking to try and find 2 red ones to replace in the bedroom. The white lights over the bed are just a tad to bright if you need to turn them on in the middle of the night.

Super bright LEDs, link above, has them. Haven't tried them though.