Replacing the tires on a 37 qb

VanFam

We have a 2013 Silverado 37 qb and want to replace the tires. Our axles are 7000 lbs and we have 235/80 r16 load e tires. Our understanding is that the tires should be rated at least at 3500 lbs per tire, but we can't find any in our size that can handle that weight. Does anyone know what the max PSI on the rims are? We were thinking we could upgrade
to a Michelin XPS rib 235/85/ r16 E (120 PSI) if our wheels were rated 120 PSI. Any help would be much appreciated.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
According to the Michelin web site the XPS ribs 235/85/R16E tires are rated for 3,042 lbs at 80psi.
I have never seen an E rated tire inflation rated over 80psi.
You may be able to find the wheel rating by looking on the backside of the wheel, normally on a spoke.
It may show you either the inflation rate or the load rating.
Maxis and Sailun have been pretty popular in a G rated tire. They have a 120psi rating.
Do a forum search for tires and you will get plenty of information.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Maxxis 8008 is an E rated 80psi tire, rated at 3420 lbs. We've been pleased with them. On our second set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wrgrs50s

I had maxxis 8008 on my previous rig with 5yrs of service and no issues. When my towmax failed on my new unit within the first 200 miles, I immediately went to my tire guy and ordered 4 new Maxxis 8008. I now have about 2 yrs on the new Maxxis without incident.
I dont trust any other ST tire.

TireHobby

We have a 2013 Silverado 37 qb and want to replace the tires. Our axles are 7000 lbs and we have 235/80 r16 load e tires. Our understanding is that the tires should be rated at least at 3500 lbs per tire, but we can't find any in our size that can handle that weight. Does anyone know what the max PSI on the rims are? We were thinking we could upgrade
to a Michelin XPS rib 235/85/ r16 E (120 PSI) if our wheels were rated 120 PSI. Any help would be much appreciated.
I think you will find that your 7000# axles have been derated by the vehicle manufacturer to something like 6750# GAWR. Look on your trailer’s certification label to verify that. That’s one of only two ways the vehicle manufacturer can install any of the ST235/80R16E tires. The other way is for then to inform NHTSA via certified mail as to which load range tires they are using. They must also put the load range on the certification label/tire placard and in the vehicle’s owner’s manual.
When tires built to a specific size have more than one load capacity, all load capacities default to the lowest one unless a specific load capacity is identified as the Original Equipment tire. The ST235/80R16E has three load capacities, 3420#, 3500# and 3520#, depending on manufacturer, all at 80 psi. When defaulted to 3420# they can all be used on 6750# GAWR axles without further identification.
Rims for those tires are normally rated at 3550# unless they were upgraded. The upgrades are normally between 3750# - 3960#.
There are zero 16” LRE LT tires with enough load capacity for fitment to 6750# GAWR axles.
TireHobby