Replacing those slider windows :(

RanCarr

Has anyone replaced those awful slider windows with jalousie/louver windows? I really miss these older type crank windows in the BRS. We have one slider that jams constantly and drags the screen back and forth with it. :( Also, ventilation is poor when less than 50% of the window opens. We've already added an expensive fan w/Maxaire (sp?) cover to the roof vent and those Maxare vertical plastic vents to both large windows to allow ventilation when it rains but it's not the same. I had called Heartland before our TT was built and offered to pay more for jalousie windows but they would not do it. We found a place online that sells them, but those windows would run almost $1,500 for two of them! I almost fell off my chair. I thought I heard wrong. It was a place that makes replacement windows for RVs. What mods are you doing to get better ventilation especially when it rains?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Not familiar with your floorplan, but since you have one window under the main awning, it's covered. If there's a large one on the opposite side, like in a slide, you could put a retractable window awning over it, so it would be covered. The shade from the window awning alone is worth the cost. You can also replace your standard vent fans with Fantastic Fans, or a less expensive option is the Heng Vortex fan. Either will move more air (and are quieter) than the standard ones.

The photo shows how my two large windows are covered by the awning. The rear one is a slider, the forward one a jalousie style. Unless it's a wind driven rain, there's no problem leaving the slider open.

View attachment 13420

RanCarr

Not familiar with your floorplan, but since you have one window under the main awning, it's covered.

Yes, in a light rain we can leave the awning out to protect that window, but anything more and we have to bring the awning in or the water makes it sag. We can't tip it like a manual awning to keep the water weight off of it. But this model only came with the electric awnings. We would have liked a manual awning since now we need to take a ladder with us if we want to hang lights from the awning. So we gave up our awning lights. :( The sliders only open about 40% whereas the jalousie windows opened 100% for much better ventilation. Not everyone camps in a place with shore power. That needs to be taken into consideration by the mfgs.

If there's a large one on the opposite side, like in a slide, you could put a retractable window awning over it, so it would be covered.
Those awnings can run over $400 for one window. :( Where does the spending end? Why aren't the TT mfgs still installing the jalousie windows? Even when we offered to pay more for them, they refused and put the unwanted sliders in. It's costing their customers a lot of money just to ventilate these newer units. None of this was necessary with the jalousie windows TTs used to come with. Window awnings also make these newer trailers even darker inside than they are, what with less windows and the tinted glass.

The shade from the window awning alone is worth the cost. You can also replace your standard vent fans with Fantastic Fans, or a less expensive option is the Heng Vortex fan. Either will move more air (and are quieter) than the standard ones.
We already added a Fantastic Fan and a Maxaire cover to keep rain out of the one roof vent this TT came with. At 28', two vents would have been better. Also those narrow vertical things that let air in but not rain at $44 each. Since out 28BRS is so dark already due to the tinted windows and so few windows, we really don't want to spend $300+ for a window awning that will make it even darker. We also almost always manage to get shady sites where we usually camp. :) Our snow-bird site in FL is mostly shaded. Ya know, I hope someone from Heartland is reading this because it may give them some ideas on brightening up this model and fixing the ventilation problem without the new owner having to spend another $1000 to make it livable/comfortable. When we spend the night without hookups, this unit is stifling. Not enough open-able window space for the sq footage. Other than the window/ventilation problem, we really love this RV. It has the floorplan that suits us perfectly. :) Everything works great but the one large slider. We may have to take it to a local place and have them fix it. Another reason we didn't want sliders. Even the one on the salesman's lot had sliders that didn't work right - they cocked in the frames.

The photo shows how my two large windows are covered by the awning. The rear one is a slider, the forward one a jalousie style. Unless it's a wind driven rain, there's no problem leaving the slider open.
I See. But doesn't that make it even darker inside? Is that one rolled up manually? If I may ask... what did that run you installed?

View attachment 13420

JohnDar

Yes, the window awning is rolled up manually. Dealer installed it came to just over $500. If I'd done it myself, it would have been $111 less for the labor. The rest was the awning, arms, and shipping costs. It was in the shop for some warranty work and maintenance, so it was easier to let them do it. The size of the window length is the factor in how much it costs. Mine is a fairly long one to cover both windows. Your's may be somewhat less.

The greater value of that awning for us is cutting off late afternoon sun at our site. We could not sit at the dining table with the shades up without it. Reducing the sun load on the windows also helps keep it cooler inside. We are not groping around in the dark, either, but ours is a larger coach with more windows, including the big rear window. It would be doable, but perhaps seem silly, but you could put a window awning over the one under the main awning, as well. It looks like there may be enough space. The awnings come in a variety of colors, including white. I think Carefree had some that may even be more of a mesh to allow more light.

I am surprised that your 28' trailer only has a single roof vent. We had a 27' TT, a SOB, that had two roof vents, one in the bath and one in the bedroom. We also had more windows than I can see on yours (some were jalousie, also). Even so, on hot, humid Michigan nights (we get them), it could be very uncomfortable without the A/C on. And some small desk fans, too.

Ours is also an electric awning and does not have adjustable arms. But it has yet to collect so much rain that it's a problem. It seems to have a natural angle towards the front of the rig, with the rig level, and drains off that end. You do have to be sure to extend it as far as it will go without re-rolling itself. Some folks tie theirs down and hang lights with no problem. Problem comes if a storm brews up and you need to bring it in quickly. We've taken to using battery-powered lanterns with timers on large plant hooks on the roller at either end. I can get them off fast and bring it in if needed.

I don't know why they don't offer a choice of windows, even though it would add a premium to the sale price. But we've owned the BH since late 2008 and haven't stop spending on it yet. Some say a boat is a hole in the water you toss money in. These rigs are more like platforms on wheels you pile money on. Unfortunately, it blows off as you go down the highway.

RanCarr

Yes, the window awning is rolled up manually. Dealer installed it came to just over $500. If I'd done it myself, it would have been $111 less for the labor. The rest was the awning, arms, and shipping costs. It was in the shop for some warranty work and maintenance, so it was easier to let them do it. The size of the window length is the factor in how much it costs. Mine is a fairly long one to cover both windows. Your's may be somewhat less.

The tint of our North Trail windows is so dark we don't really see a need for these expensive awnings. Maybe it depends on where one camps and the climate there. Thanks for letting me know the price. :)

The greater value of that awning for us is cutting off late afternoon sun at our site. We could not sit at the dining table with the shades up without it. Reducing the sun load on the windows also helps keep it cooler inside. We are not groping around in the dark, either, but ours is a larger coach with more windows, including the big rear window. It would be doable, but perhaps seem silly, but you could put a window awning over the one under the main awning, as well. It looks like there may be enough space. The awnings come in a variety of colors, including white. I think Carefree had some that may even be more of a mesh to allow more light.

What a shame that people have to spend so much because the mfg wont install the windows a customer wants and was willing to pay for. We really don't want awnings over the windows. We wanted the Jalousie windows our last two TTs had.

I am surprised that your 28' trailer only has a single roof vent. We had a 27' TT, a SOB, that had two roof vents, one in the bath and one in the bedroom. We also had more windows than I can see on yours (some were jalousie, also). Even so, on hot, humid Michigan nights (we get them), it could be very uncomfortable without the A/C on. And some small desk fans, too.

So were we! It has one vent and it's in the bathroom at one end of the RV. Our 19' Zinger had two vents and larger untinted windows. It was bright and cheerful. Our little 13' Sunline had only one vent but had so many windows it didn't matter. With those two (Zinger and Sunline) TTs all we needed on warm nights were the fans. We only used the A/C on really sultry nights. There was always a breeze going through those TTs, even in the rain. I can assure you we will never buy another TT with slider windows or tinted windows. I'd rather settle for a less desirable floor plan than put up with these windows again.

Ours is also an electric awning and does not have adjustable arms. But it has yet to collect so much rain that it's a problem. It seems to have a natural angle towards the front of the rig, with the rig level, and drains off that end. You do have to be sure to extend it as far as it will go without re-rolling itself. Some folks tie theirs down and hang lights with no problem. Problem comes if a storm brews up and you need to bring it in quickly. We've taken to using battery-powered lanterns with timers on large plant hooks on the roller at either end. I can get them off fast and bring it in if needed.

We didn't know if the sag would be a problem because we always had a manual awning. We always tilted it in case of rain. We didn't know if it would stretch or rip the fabric so brought it in. How do they hang lights with no problem when the end of the awning is above reach at all stages of unrolling? My husband is 5'10" and needs a ladder to reach the awning so gave up our awning lights. Our awning has no way to lower it to where someone can reach it to attach lights.

I don't know why they don't offer a choice of windows, even though it would add a premium to the sale price. But we've owned the BH since late 2008 and haven't stop spending on it yet. Some say a boat is a hole in the water you toss money in. These rigs are more like platforms on wheels you pile money on. Unfortunately, it blows off as you go down the highway.

That's a great way of putting it. :D

Paul & Nan

Sorry you guys are so unhappy, but----did you not think and look before you bought. Personally I would not ever want the jallosie windows, been there, done that, they do not let in enough air to cool and way to much when you want to heat or use AC. In other words, they do not seal. As for the electric awning, well--------sometimes we are not happy either, until it starts to blow hard, or storm, in the middle of the night, then----push the button, problem solved. Have gone out in the middle of the night to take down lights, etc, not fun in the nightclothes. So, playing devils advocate here, but think of the altenitives, and wonder why you did not think ahead, or make notes for the next time. Nan

JohnDar

Sorry you guys are so unhappy, but----did you not think and look before you bought. Personally I would not ever want the jallosie windows, been there, done that, they do not let in enough air to cool and way to much when you want to heat or use AC. In other words, they do not seal. As for the electric awning, well--------sometimes we are not happy either, until it starts to blow hard, or storm, in the middle of the night, then----push the button, problem solved. Have gone out in the middle of the night to take down lights, etc, not fun in the nightclothes. So, playing devils advocate here, but think of the altenitives, and wonder why you did not think ahead, or make notes for the next time. Nan

Even with a lower manual awning, when the big storm comes in, you need to get the lights off and roll up the awning. I don't care how well you've tied it down and how many de-flappers you've clamped on. Unless you angle it steeply, there is a chance that it will collect water faster than it can drain. Fortunately, I had a $100 deductible on the $1200 repair (former TT).

Besides, with all the solar powered lights we've got on plant hook stands around our rig, the guys in the ISS are starting to complain about not being able to sleep at night.

RanCarr

Sorry you guys are so unhappy, but----did you not think and look before you bought.

Of course we looked before we bought. Do you think we bought sight-unseen. But until you take the rig camping, you can't *really* tell when you never had to deal with such windows before.

Personally I would not ever want the jallosie windows, been there, done that, they do not let in enough air to cool and way to much when you want to heat or use AC.

That may depend where you camp. Your rig must have had real cheap or defective jalousie windows, unlike those in the Sunline and Zinger. The ones on these brands could be opened from a crack to fully open. The better ones are almost airtight when closed and don't leak in the rain. They let in plenty of air as no part of the window is blocked when they're open like sliders. A slider only opens about 40%, not 100% like a jalousie window. And jalousies don't get cocked in their tracks like our one slider is already doing. And like the ones on the sales lot were doing.

In other words, they do not seal.

Only if they're cheap or defective. They overlap like a fish scale and make excellent contact unless defective. Why on earth would you want a window that was 100% airtight? How would you breathe? The air inside would soon be so stale and putrid you'd be opening the door or a vent for air. We don't camp in the bitter cold up north or the 110 heat of FL with our TT. We don't turn on the A/C as soon as the sun comes up and turn on the heat when it goes down.

As for the electric awning, well--------sometimes we are not happy either, until it starts to blow hard, or storm, in the middle of the night, then----push the button, problem solved. Have gone out in the middle of the night to take down lights, etc, not fun in the nightclothes. So, playing devils advocate here, but think of the altenitives, and wonder why you did not think ahead, or make notes for the next time. Nan

I don't know about you but it took us no more than 6 to 8 minutes to bring in the manual awning. We have a weather radio so always know what the weather will be. We'd bring the awning in at night when the weather looked chancy.

How did I not think ahead when we never had to deal with sliders before? Are you trying to insult me? They already had our money when we found out Heartland would not install jalousie windows at the factory as one salesperson said the would, even we we offered to pay whatever it cost. How could I have known the salesperson lied or was misinformed? Sliders are not popular windows I found out and please don't try to tell me they are. Everyone had similar complaints about them that I spoke to. Mostly about the poor ventilation, especially in the rain or bad weather. How they cock in their tracks which I see is a common problem. Tales of woe about when they came home to find their rig soaked because it rained while they were away for the day. Soaked carpets and sofas thanks to sliders. One salesman said they're putting them in simply because they're CHEAP and for no other reason. Jalousie windows were used in RVs for many many years without a problem, but they're much more expensive than sliders.

RanCarr

Even with a lower manual awning, when the big storm comes in, you need to get the lights off and roll up the awning. I don't care how well you've tied it down and how many de-flappers you've clamped on. Unless you angle it steeply, there is a chance that it will collect water faster than it can drain. Fortunately, I had a $100 deductible on the $1200 repair (former TT).

This is why one of the first items loaded in our 1st TT was a battery and electric powered weather radio. :) I believe everyone should carry one of these when traveling or camping. We were camping near Nashville when one of those big storms hit and knocked out the electricity for hours. We knew it was coming but chose to stay rather than pack up for home. We had no damages to the rig. :)

Besides, with all the solar powered lights we've got on plant hook stands around our rig, the guys in the ISS are starting to complain about not being able to sleep at night.

ankie3467

Just have to add my 2 cents worth. I too would like to see a couple of crank out windows. You can open these up and leave and lot be afraid of a rain storm while you are gone!!

bighorn3370

I'm just going to put my 2 cents in. I would measure the windows that you want, the jalousie windows, and have your dealer order them. The windows are not very hard to replace. As for the dealer telling you that you could get them, I would have demanded my money back and gone elsewhere. I will say I have used both types of windows, and I prefer the sliders.

SilverRhino

Just have to add my 2 cents worth. I too would like to see a couple of crank out windows. You can open these up and leave and lot be afraid of a rain storm while you are gone!!

My view is the exact opposite: Had the crank out windows on previous SOB fifth wheel.....nothing but problems! I like the simplicity of the sliders....keep the tracks clean and use a little silicone once in a while and they are good to go. Simple is good.....too many moving parts in our RVs as it is!

All this said........Great to live in a Country where we can have different opinion and express them freely........Wouldn't life be boring if we all liked the same things!!

Travel Safe!

Duramax1

Evidently a number of you with electric awnings are not aware that Dometic will provide, free of charge, a replacement retrofit arm for one side that will allow you to tilt the awning so that water will drain.

If you install the arm yourself, which is not difficult, it is free, otherwise a dealer may charge you for the installation.

JohnDar

Evidently a number of you with electric awnings are not aware that Dometic will provide, free of charge, a replacement retrofit arm for one side that will allow you to tilt the awning so that water will drain.

If you install the arm yourself, which is not difficult, it is free, otherwise a dealer may charge you for the installation.

When we had to have the motor replaced under warranty, I inquired about it. Dealer told me Dometic said that our model could not be retrofitted.

Paul & Nan

That may depend where you camp. Your rig must have had real cheap or defective jalousie windows, unlike those in the Sunline and Zinger. The ones on these brands could be opened from a crack to fully open. The better ones are almost airtight when closed and don't leak in the rain. They let in plenty of air as no part of the window is blocked when they're open like sliders. A slider only opens about 40%, not 100% like a jalousie window. And jalousies don't get cocked in their tracks like our one slider is already doing. And like the ones on the sales lot were doing.

Sorry, no, have had RV's since the 1960,s, mostly no cheap or defective, jalousies do no seal well in inclemint weather. Yes, you can open however, but---. And some folks seem to know it all, so, sorry, but from much experience, you are wrong. Not insulting you at all, just thiniking you really do not have much experience, and could possibly listen to those of us who do have.

As I said, have had RV's since 1963, so think I have a fair bit of experience, and knowledge. Enough said.

cashb

RanCarr, you are obviously very unhappy with your windows. As far as I can see, your options are window replacement or awnings over the windows. Or trading in on a model that has the windows you want. Or, perhaps, you just need to vent? No rv is 100 percent, exactly as you want it. But with the huge number of models to choose from, you get as close to your personal preference as possible. Good luck, let us know what you decide to do.