RESOLVED: Disk Brake not functioning

KNPMCM

I am on route to where I will be staying in my LM 365 and noticed that my Disk Brakes were not functional. I verified that the plug was properly seated and that all the lights were functioning.
However when I manually operated my brake controller there was no reaction from the trailer. Is it possible a fuse has blown or a switch has been turned off some where. This is my first run with my new unit and I am heading to a location that is 500 miles from the nearest RV Dealer.
I'm towing with a 2014 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW Denali with a built in brake controller.

Kirk

wdk450

Re: Disk Brake not functioning

Kirk:
I have aftermarket disk brakes, but the first thing I am going to ask you is if you have a manual on the disk brakes system in your blue bag of manuals? If so, maybe there is help there.

On my Kodiak/MorRyde disk brake system there is a hydraulic actuator that takes the electric signal form the truck brake controller and translates that into hydraulic oil pressure for the brake wheel cylinders. I once lost disk braking because the trailer battery was low. The trailer battery supplies POWER to the trailer disk brakes while the truck supplies braking SIGNAL. My disk brake actuator is in the front storage compartment, and if you are stopped and have both the front storage compartment door and the truck door or window open, you can HEAR the trailer;s hydraulic actuator when you step on the truck brake pedal with the umbilical cable connected. Since the disk braking system is used for the runaway trailer emergency braking (via the lanyard switch) , no fuse or circuit breaker should be in the primary wiring to the actuator. Protecting against a runaway trailer is considered a bigger safety concern than the possibility of electrical fire in the braking wiring.

Also, check the actuator for having hydraulic braking fluid in the reserviour.

Good luck, and I hope that owners with the Heartland installed system will add to the thread.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member

If you have a battery cut off switch make sure it is on.
It should not make a difference if it is off but if it was not wired correctly it could be relevant.
Here is a link to a previous thread having some information that you might want to keep in mind. [LINK]

Peace
Dave

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired

Are these factory installed? I did mine after market also. The actuator came with a list of compatible/ incompatible brake controllers. As Bill suggested I'd be looking for the actuator manual to make sure it's not a compatibility issue first. Next I would look for an in line fuse and the trailer braking fuse in your truck. Good luck.

KNPMCM

This is a factory installed system and I am unable to find any literature in the Blue Folder.
I have verified the Hydraulic system is functional by pulling the break away lanyard and confirming that the hydraulic pump actuates.
My Truck owners Manual states that the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is not compatible with Air, Surge or Electric over Hydraulic brakes.

danemayer

My Truck owners Manual states that the Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is not compatible with Air, Surge or Electric over Hydraulic brakes.

I think your disc brakes are Electric over Hydraulic. Do you have any reason to think that the brakes previously worked?

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired

Not sure this will be of help, but had a friend just put on new disc brakes on his Bighorn and had a hard time stopping on the way to a rally. The rally folks helped him set his Ford's controller for the proper setting and no more problems.....When he was not set up for Electric over hydraulic he could not slow down to a safe speed down hill .

KNPMCM

Yes I have Electric over Hydraulic brakes.
I do believe that the brake system was functional when I took the unit for its initial shakedown trip close to home.
It wasn't until I was on a long decline that I noticed the trailer brakes weren't as noticeable as before. I then tried to use the Manual override and noticed that the trailer did not respond.
Any one know how to set up the Brake controller?

Kirk

jbeletti

Let's take a basic step here and take a look under the RV behind each wheel. Look for any brake fluid that has leaked out. Look at where the brake lines connect to the top of each caliper to ensure the line is still connected.

Since you hear the controller working and the brakes worked in the past, that's why I'd take a quick look downstream.

KNPMCM

After a trip to the only RV dealer that had a service dept open on a Saturday and a trip to a GM dealer 180 miles away I was able to get this situation resolved.
1- Pre 2015 GMC 3500's ITBC are not compatible with Electric over Hydraulic (EOH) brakes.
2- After market Brake Controlers require an additional Blue wire to be run from the controller to the plug.

I would like to insure that future purchasers are informed that EOH equipped trailers are not compatible with Pre 2015 GMC vehicles equipped with ITBC. Dealers need to be made aware of this before one our HL family members has a tragic accident. These units pull so smooth it is hard to verify that the brakes are not functional until you hit a major hill and the trailer pushes you down the hill.

I ended up installing a Prodigy P3 and the unit worked very well with 4 levels of programming and multiple screen colours.

if anyone is aware of a mod that allows the Stock ITBC to function with EOH then it would be very helpful to myself and future purchases.

Thank you to all of you that responded to this post. This is what makes owning a HL LM 365 such a joy.

Kirk

wdk450

Kirk:
We are all glad that your braking problems are resolved, you are safe, and YOU WERE THOUGHTFUL ENOUGH TO SHARE THE RESULTS WITH THE HEARTLAND OWNERS COMMUNITY.
I know that Jim B. has been reading this thread, and I am sure that Heartland will find out about the GM controller incompatibility and the lack of documentation supplied to the buyers about the Heartland disk braking system.
We all keep learning stuff we missed when we first purchased our rigs. I wonder how many of us had a braking manual function test in our Pre-delivery inspection checks lists. I know I didn't.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

I wonder how many of us had a braking manual function test in our Pre-delivery inspection checks lists. I know I didn't.

I always do a brake test before I even pull the trailer out of the yard or campsite . . . and before I left the dealer.

I like to hand-pull the brakes just to test that the trailer is hitched right.

dewwood

I have a 2013 Chevy one ton and I had the Morryde disk brakes, Kodiak I believe , installed last year and they put something on the Bighorn to make it possible to use the onboard brake controller of the truck. I wish I could give you the technical name but I cannot. I do love the disk brakes.

nscaler2

I have a 2013 Chevy one ton and I had the Morryde disk brakes, Kodiak I believe , installed last year and they put something on the Bighorn to make it possible to use the onboard brake controller of the truck. I wish I could give you the technical name but I cannot. I do love the disk brakes.

I have a 2011 GMC 3500 and a Bighorn 3055rl with mor/ryde IS and disk brakes. Mor/ryde added HBA-CAM at when they installed the system, in order for the trucks' braking system to recognize it. Here is a link to HBA_CAM http://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-control-mocule-hba-cam

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

I have a 2011 GMC 3500 and a Bighorn 3055rl with mor/ryde IS and disk brakes. Mor/ryde added HBA-CAM at when they installed the system, in order for the trucks' braking system to recognize it. Here is a link to HBA_CAM http://www.easternmarine.com/carlisle-hydrastar-brake-actuator-control-mocule-hba-cam

That looks like an easy install. I've also herd just adding a 12V light in the system will trick it into working also. But I would use this device and remove the external unit and tell the dealer to give me my money back for unnecessarily installing it.