Roadside Assistance

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have GS and had to call them because I locked my keys in the truck. It took them 2-1/2 hours to get someone out.

I'll bet that no matter what service anyone has . .. they won't be there in 20 minutes!

We had to use our GS Roadside Assistance . . . took them 1 1/2 hours to get there . . . but they did get there!

We were happy that at least they showed up.

Happy Campers

We have GS and had to call them because I locked my keys in the truck. It took them 2-1/2 hours to get someone out.

Do like I did after I locked myself out of my truck in Alaska in a remote area .:eek: I found a walmart and had a cheap key made that will just unlock the doors.I don't know if it will turn the ignition switch but it doesn't have the chip so even if it does it still wont start the truck.I ground all the plastic off and left about the size of a postage stamp to hold on to and keep it in my wallet.Yes,I have used it at least once several years later and once I thought I would never need it again so I took it out of my wallet.That little stint cost $120. to have it unlocked and now I don't leave home with it.

whp4262

I took the key fob off and carry it separate from my keys so I can lock the doors with the engine running so I don't have to wait for the turbo to cool. Also less chance of locking both in the truck by mistake. Another feature I like with the new truck is being able to start it and lock/unlock the doors with my cell phone. Of course that doesn't do you much good in areas with no cell service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kbbagshaw

We've used GS three times. Once for a flat. Waited 2 hours for that. Twice for tows. First time the shackles on our Big Country broke so we needed the fiver towed. It was a Saturday. We spent all weekend in a hotel because they couldn't find anyone to tow us and the fiver was in a location we couldn't stay in it. Monday I found a trailer place bought what I needed and with the help of a couple of Good Samaritans, fixed it myself. The second tow request was just recently when my truck died. I needed both vehicles towed. We were in Houston, it was around 6pm on a Friday. Again we waited and waited. They sent one group out who looked at our set up and drove off. 4 hours later I called someone myself and got towed home. Am now waiting to see how much GS will reimburse me. Not impressed at all with Good Sam roadside assistance.

JohnD

I didn't renew my GS Roadside Assistance this year as we now have two other roadside assistance programs.

We got one year free with the purchase of our new Prowler . . . and our insurance company also has roadside assistance.

Tundra2084

We have coach-net and used them there times.
First time was in Arizona after hitting a truckers mud flap with the bar still attached. No where to go but over it because we had cars on both sides of us. At first it didn't seem like any damage was done but about 20 minutes later in the desert heard a noise and pulled over to find plumbing mostly gone and landing gear hitting the ground. Tied up the leg, and what was left of plumbing, limped into a parking lot and called Coach net. They found a repair shop that said that if we got it there before 6pm they could help us. GREAT.

Second time was same trip only about 2+ hours later. Driving on highway in Fontana California truck (1999 F250 V10 with 30,000 miles on it) started to lose power and sounded louder then silence. Luckily we were close to an off ramp and had a slight down grade and pulled off the side of the road. Another call to Coach Net and CAA (Canada's AAA) had 2 cell phones and both making calls for assistance at the same time. CAA sent smaller tow truck for just the truck, even though we explained that trailer could NOT be removed from the truck because of no landing leg. COACH NET sent a large flat bed tow truck and loaded both the truck and trailer and had them both taken to different facilities for repair. Then they called the same tow company that CAA called and told them to bill them and had that truck take us to a motel for the night. Coach Net was great and helped us even get a rental car the next day and reimbursed us for loss of food and trip interruption because we were stuck for 10 days while the motor was being repaired in the truck.

Third time using Coach net was on trip home from Florida. Had axles packed and serviced before we left Canada. Only trip after service was down to Florida. A young woman who was next to us kept pointing to the back of the trailer. Rolled window down and she said we had smoke rolling out from under the trailer. Immediately pulled over to find glowing red axle and hub and a lot of smoke rolling out of the axle.
Limped to the next exit about 1/4 mile away and found a grocery store parking lot. Called Coach Net and they made some calls but it was Sunday night and couldn't get anyone to assist us until the next day. We assured them we were in a safe place and we left the trailer with the permission of the store manager in the parking lot for the night. Early the next morning we received a call from a repair facility telling us that they were at the trailer and had the axel safely chained up ready to take to the CW for repair.
We left the trailer in Carolina for 6 weeks while they replaced the axle and tires. Seems when they packed the axle they forgot the grease. The axle got so hot it fused everything together including the rim to the hub.
We had to rent a Uhaul to get all of our belonging home and reimbursed for the cost via trip interruption.

We will always have Coach Net as it has already paid for itself many times over.

JohnD

We thought we were going to have to use GS Roadside Assistance last January when we had a wheel bearing blowout while driving through Phoenix, AZ . . .

Same thing . . . someone pulled up along side of us and pointed at their eyes . . . then the trailer!

I pulled off at the next exit and as I was rounding the curve on the exit ramp I saw the smoke rolling out from under the wheel well of the trailer.

While I was on hold waiting for someone at GSRA to come on the line, I also had my Rand McNally GPS device looking for RV service centers in the area, and Sun City RV came up less than a mile away.

I hung up the phone and called Sun City . . . and we limped our way there instead of waiting for someone to come get us.

It was late enough in the day that they couldn't get to us, but as luck would have it there was an RV park right next door . . .

Where we spent the night in the trailer and was waiting at Sun City RV's service door at 8 a.m. the next morning where we were first in line!

They had us fixed by sunset that same day (band aid repair - enough to finish our trip and back home to Colorado)!

SunCityRV-RVPark-IMG_20150122_075627618.jpg SunCityRV-IMG_20150122_173556536.jpg

First shot at RV park next door (notice front wheel on trailer leaning in at the top), second shot leaving Sun City RV at sunset!

beck-mark

I had been a AAA member for years but only had coverage for vehicles. About 4 years ago decided we needed to add the camper to our coverage because of a breakdown during a trip. ( spring shackle broken) anyway I gave into good sam due mainly to their heavy advertising and it looked to be about the same as AAA rvplus coverage. I let my AAA lapse and sent in the application for good sam. 4 months went by when we received a phone call from good sam wanting more information mainly on our camper. I had thought we were covered all this time. after they got the information they told me what the coverage would cost and it was considerably higher than the rvplus with AAA. I agreed because the sales person convinced me they were better than AAA. About 3 months later my daughter was in New Orleans on a trip with friends not in her car and they had battery problems. they called good sam and they refused to respond because she wasn't in her vehicle. AAA would of responded because you are covered by AAA not the vehicle you are in. Needless to say when that year was over I went back to AAA. They have responded both to me and everyone in my family very well and have been very happy with them. I saw where one person above posted they wont tow a 5th wheel which ill have to find out more about that because they helped me in the past so not sure if something has changed or not. that could be be a deal breaker for sure. our camper (a fifth wheel) and my motorcycle is why I have the rvplus.

dbbls59

I have had Coach Net and Good Sam both and used both. I was satisfied with them. I have had GS for several years but after reading post on this and other forums I will get Coach Net next time.

beck-mark

We have Good Sam and have been very satisfied with the service. We have had AAA in the past but they will not transport fifth wheels so we had to make a change.

Not sure of what happened or if AAA coverage changed but this is right out of member guide.
Eligible Vehicles
For Basic, Plus, and Premier members, the Club will provide service to the following: Four-wheeled motor driven vehicles of the passenger type regardless of
license plate designation, if those services can be safely delivered. Dual-wheel campers/motor homes and RVs will be provided all services except towing, extrication/
winching, and tire service, which will be offered only to Plus/ RV or Premier/RV members. Rented passenger vehicles are eligible for service. Unloaded
commercial vehicles are eligible for service, excluding taxi cabs, transport/shuttle services and limousines. Dual-wheel unloaded pickup trucks and panel vans (up
to ten passengers) must have Plus RV or Premier RV coverage to be eligible for towing and are provided all services except changing inner tire. Box trucks are
provided all services except towing, winching, and tire service. For Plus/RV and Premier/RV members only, the Club extends all service to: Motor homes, travel
trailers for the purpose of camping with sleeping accommodations only, pickup trucks with bed-mounted campers, motorcycles, dual-wheel unloaded pickup
trucks, panel vans, and 5th wheel travel trailers. Some larger trucks and some multi-passenger vehicles may not be covered by AAA Carolinas if determined
unsafe by the AAA Road Service Provider based on Department of Transportation guidelines.

Tundra2084

If you read the above post I explained why Coach Net will always be our choice. There are a few who mentioned they also have Coach Net as well. Great company and very willing to help you when you need them.