Roof

wdk450

Any chance of a TPO Vinyl roof in place of rubber.

I would really doubt it. Whe i toured the production line they just had a huge roll of EPDM rubber roofing sheet in position to pull over the the units on the assembly line. I think it would be a big hassle for the assemblers to install something else.

brianharrison

I thought the Big Country or BigHorn line had a TPO roof for a while back in 2012/13? I searched the website and I see BigHorn states EPDM today. I am not aware of any year Landmark having TPO roof.

Am I mistaken?

If both are EPDM today does anyone know why the switch back (if there ever was a TPO roof in these lines)?

The newer units may have a colored EPDM roof to match color scheme (ivory, tan for full body paint, etc)? TPO may only be available in pure white?

Brian

brianharrison

Any chance of a TPO Vinyl roof in place of rubber.

I am interested in knowing your desire for TPO - EPDM does have its advantages over TPO (thermal expansion for one) - both are similar for performance and warranties (in my knowledge).

Here is a good link --> http://rv-pro.com/articles/suppliers-parts-accessories/where-rubber-meets-roof

Brian

EDIT - Here is something new to me - TPO roofs may require a different Sealant for openings compared to EPDM. Link --> http://www.dicorproducts.com/ultrasealant/images/EPDM-TPO_Discovery_Guide.pdf

if your RV has TPO roofing and it was built after 2010, you may need to use the Dicor Ultra Sealant System instead to avoid disfiguration and bloating of the roofing that may result from using Lap Sealant.

Last edited:

jbeletti

There was a time where we went to TPO on certain models. In some cases, we used it for certain exterior coach colors/paint for better color coordination. More recently, I understand that EPDM is now available to us in colors other than white.

This all said, I am not certain which we use and why. I have had both though. No problem with either.

brianharrison

How do you tell the difference?

The link above from Dicor - repeated here --> How to Determine the Type of Membrane Covering your RV can help confirm the type of roof membrance - TPO or EPDM.

Specifically the backing of the membrane has to be inspected (after trim around roof vents have been removed, a bit harder way than Jim's suggestion),

If the membrane has a black backing it is EPDM, so you should use Dicor Lap Sealant for sealing the roofing. If it is a solid color all the way through the membrane, or if it has a fleece backing, it is TPO. If your TPO has a fleece backing then Lap Sealant will probably be the right choice. But if your TPO does not have a fleece backing then Dicor Ultra Sealant System should be used. .

Brian

Last edited:

jbeletti

I spoke to the plant this morning to confirm. Presently, on all 5th wheels, we're using only EPDM. Then, on some 5th wheels with colored sidewalls, we use EPDM in colors other than pure white.

travlingman

I spoke to the plant this morning to confirm. Presently, on all 5th wheels, we're using only EPDM. Then, on some 5th wheels with colored sidewalls, we use EPDM in colors other than pure white.

Jim,

How long has it been EPDM only. When I ordered mine last fall, I was told by dealer that when you order full body paint you also got a TPO roof. I even remember seeing a brochure stating this. This was a big deciding factor in my ordering of this rig. I have a big problem with being told, seeing a brochure, me paying for what I thought would be a TPO roof, and then receiving something else.

kerry

My reason for asking is that I have had both. Back in 2005, when I joined this forum I had a Bighorn. It had a few problems, got them straightened out, wasn't a unit. I since have moved on to another product, a Cameo, a Carriage product no longer in business. Tom Montague (Hi Tom), who I have known for a long time used to work there. He is familiar with the vinyl roof. I have just retired from the RV industry after being involved for 36 years. While working with at the dealership, we replaced many rubber roofs, not one TPO Vinyl roof. With my own experience, I have found it a lot more durable and easier to take care of. easier to clean, no need to use conditioner, doesn't tear easily. Anyway, I am in the market to move on to a new unit. While browsing, I looked at the Landmark. Has some nice floorplans, and some good features. It has now been added to the list, now three, of products one of which I will buy. Landmark has the best price point of what I am looking at. For me, at this point of RVing, price isn't the issue, construction is; frame, materials used, roof, etc.