RV 12v DC receptacle

silvasp

Question...
Do RV's use different 12v receptacles than the ones used in cars (cigarette adapter?)

The problem I've had is almost none of my chargers fit in the 12v receptacle in the RV (I'm on my 4th and they're all the same). Seems like the RV receptacle is too small.

Oregon_Camper

Yes, they are the same, but there is no defacto standard, so they vary (which sucks)

I replaced one in my prior trailer due to the fact I thought I was going to pull it off the wall when trying to remove the charger. They are only a few $$$ and super easy to swap out.

wdk450

I'm not aware of current Heartland RVs having 12 volt cigarette lighter outlets any more. Are sure that is what you are trying to plug in to? Can you send a picture?

I wired in my own (behind/in parallel) at some wall reading lamps. The outlets don't cost much, and the wiring is pretty simple - just be sure you have an unswitched 12 volt source and a good ground return. DON'T Wire it up backwards, or your plug-in item will probably SMOKE! +12 volts DC should be wired to the center connector of the outlet, ground to the shell connector.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I wired in 2 GM cell phone ports in the BH, Works just fine. PM with your PH#, I might still have one or two of them that you can have. Got to clean out the garage anyway.

silvasp

Thanks. I appreciate it, but I found a 3-port adapter. I sanded the male end down enough to fit and it gives me three ports instead of one.

mlpeloquin

Just added a 12V socket in the bedroom for my Apria machine. The 50A main power went out three times in the past year at different parks. Not good for people with Apria machines at night. At the same time I added a light in the bathroom cabinet with motion detector. With all the stuff in the cabinet, I needed a light to find what I wanted. I added a 15A breaker in the front bay and routed 12ga wire to the service bay. I added a 12V distribution box for it. I will rout lines from here for lighting for kitchen cabinets and the cabinets on ether side of the fire place. A local 3A fuse has been added for the light and motion detector. 12ga wire can handle 15A, but the smaller wire for the LED light and motion detector cannot and would become a fusible link. Perhaps starting a fire if shorted. I have added hinges and door latches to the bay panel. Now it is a service bay door.

12V Power Socket Bathroom Light - Ok my I-Phone took everything upside down. Bay Door
12 Power Socket.JPG Added Light Bathroom.JPG Service Bay Door.JPG

Attachments

• 12V Power Socket 2.JPG
    12V Power Socket 2.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 39

Bones

My neck hurts now. Looking good. At some point I will have a light with either a switch or motion sensor under my sink cabinet