RV Door doesn't close properly due to wind

sirjin

Went camping at the beach state park and it got windy one day and on a few occasions, the kids opened the door and it swung open very hard due to some strong winds and after awhile, the door doesn't close smoothly as it did beforehand, I'm guessing because of the wind. Door does close, but now you would need to pull the latch first.
Does anyone know if the hinges got bent to cause the door to not be plumb anymore? Is there a fix for this?

Thanks in advance.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the hinges can bend, and as you suggested it sounds like the door is sprung.
You will have to look around at the hinges and door jamb to see if you can tell is something looks out of place.
Then with a chunk of 2x4 and a hammer you may be able to get things back into place.
It can be a bugger to get the door back into place just right. My experience is that I can usually get it almost right.
Good luck.

Peace
Dave

Garypowell

I had the same problem with my truck. Took a hammer and put the head right next to each hinge and closed the door on it. Then pushed a little more to bend the hinges.

takes a while because you need to be careful and do it a little at a time. My door is now back ~95%.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X2 on what Dave said. The door is now most likely closer to the door striker. With a 2X4 and hammer, tap the hinges inward towards the wall. If it is possible try to move just the outer part of the hinge where it pivits. Do this slowly....1 tap at a time at each hinge. Try the door each time until in closes properly. Remember, you are beating on aluminum....not steel.

sirjin

This seems to help, beating on the hinges. But, it won't be back to 100%. Thanks for the help guys.