RV insurance

Jim.Allison

Liberty Mutual $0 deductible on comprehensive, and $250 on collision, $360 bucks per year. They did not even squench up over that $2000 TowMax damage, paid the whole bill no questions asked.

Jim.Allison

Comp and collision only covers your rig against those items listed in the policy. A homeowners policy on your main home covers your contents. The three examples, might go like this. 1) you have an accident involving a motorist, your collison kicks in and will pay for the damages, your fault or not. 2) If you get hailed on or have a blowout that takes out the side of your rig, your comprehensive will cover that. 3) if you have a burglary and someone takes your TV and all your personal belongings, then your homeowners policy with your main home takes on that. So if you do not have a homeowners policy on a main home, then you should be looking for a policy for your rig that provides protection for the contents of your rig. I think this is where the disparity in premiums might be coming into play here. A good agent can walk you through this. I was surprised at how low my rate was until my agent explained that I was already paying for insurance on my personal belongings via my homeowners policy. You guys that are paying $600 to $800 might be paying for more than just comp and collision, you may have some kind of homeowners too.

This thread is timely for me because Amy and I intend to start full timing for a couple of years. We intend to rent our house out while gone. So now I have some question for my agent. Primarily, do I have to give up my homeowners policy if I temporarily rent out my permanent home. Who ever started this thread, thanks. This bring up some interesting questions that I need to address.

Oregon camper is that full coverage for full timing? I assume its for the state of Oregon?

donr827

Jim, from my days with State Farm a HO policy the premise have to be owner occupied. Your company might be different.
Don

Jim.Allison

I just fired off a letter to my agent, my insurance gets complicated in that I have several rent houses that are predicated on the main house. I dont know if I can do this without changing all my insurance, the way I understand (might be wrong on the terminology) I have to have a homeowners policy on my main home in order to have the rental policies at this discount. The alternative being to go to commercial insurance for the rentals. So this thread has opened a can of worms, I hope my agent can put a lid on it for me.

I'm hoping that the term TEMPORARY rental on the main home comes into play.

Jim, from my days with State Farm a HO policy the premise have to be owner occupied. Your company might be different.
Don

rpotter

i am just getting insurance on my 2015 Big Horn 3570RS here in Ontario, Canada, and tried my current home-auto provider (Allstate). The Allstate agent must of quoted me on a motorhome or something because they came back with just under $2000.00 per year and thats considering i already have two vehicles and my home insured with them. The agent really seemed uncomfortable and unknowledgeable about trailer insurance in general. I shopped around and found a local insurance broker that dealt with a couple of large insurance companies that specialize in RV insurance policies and ended up with a $780.00 annual policy that gave me 2 million lability, 300 deductible and 24 month full replacement value, A huge difference in price. I apologize if this posting breaks any forum rules as i am not 100% sure of all the guidelines. I am not being negative about either, just pointing out it pays to shop around and not all auto insurance companies are as prepared to insure a trailer as others, especially up here in Canada. Unfortunately GoodSam and Progressive, etc. do not provide insurance coverage in Canada so it is more difficult to find appropriate coverage in Canada. Up here i found that your auto insurance automatically covers any third party damage done by a breakaway trailer, etc. and that you really don't need extended insurance on the trailer to get plates or haul it. However you would not have any coverage on the trailer itself (fire, thef, damage). Your home policy covers some contents in the trailer but without extended trailer insurance most likely your appliances, TV's, etc. would not be covered.

HornedToad

and 24 month full replacement value... Your home policy covers some contents in the trailer but without extended trailer insurance most likely your appliances, TV's, etc. would not be covered.

Food for thought about RV insurance.

What value is my RV insured for, the insurance companies Limit of Liability for a loss???
You will hear many different terms used to insure RVs. What do they mean???

ACV Actual Cash Value = Cost new minus depreciation.
If your trailer is endorsed to a Personal Auto Policy the base coverage in the policy is ACV.
Normally ACV would only be a consideration in the event of a total loss.
On a partial loss the company would pay the amount needed to repair or replace.

STATED VALUE = The LESSER of the value stated in the policy or ACV.
Do not confuse "Stated Value" with Agreed Value as described below.
When you added your trailer to your auto policy they ask how much you paid for it.
This "Stated Value" is for rating purposes, however, at time of loss they will pay the LESSER
of the "Stated Value" or ACV. Overstating the value would not increase the loss settlement.

TEXAS PERSONAL AUTO POLICY
PART D - COVERAGE FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR AUTO
Limit of Liability
Our limit of liability for loss will be the lesser of the:
1. Actual cash value of the stolen or damaged property;
2. Amount necessary to repair or replace the property with other of like kind and quality; or
3. Amount stated in the Declarations of this policy.

AGREED VALUE = You and the insurance company agree to a value to be paid for a total loss.
This Agreed Value would be used for example on an older high value coach that has been restored.
On an older unique vehicle where an ACV would be hard to determine and restoration would place the
value in excess of any comparable vehicles. Underwriting on Agreed Value policies is usually
very strict in limiting the agreed amount to no more than what the vehicle is actually worth.

REPLACEMENT COST = The value to replace the unit with a comparable new vehicle.
Many companies offer Replacement Cost endorsements on both cars & RVs. This endorsement
modifies the ACV coverage in the base policy and it cost extra. Usually there is a limitation on time,
like between 2 and 5 years after purchase that the replacement cost applies
and some companies also have a percentage cap, like 110% of the original price.

rpotter has the right idea about the contents extension from a Homeowners policy...

HOMEOWNERS POLICY
TYPES OF PERSONAL PROPERTY NOT INSURED
We do not insure:
6. motor vehicles.
Motor vehicle - means:
a. any self-propelled vehicle or any self-propelled machine, whether operable or not, which is designed
for movement on land or on land and in water, including by way of example but not limited to any
type of automobile, hovercraft or air cushion vehicle;
b. parts, equipment, machinery, furnishings or accessories attached to or located in or upon such vehicle.

The "located in" is somewhat questionable...
If it's not "parts, equipment, machinery, furnishings or accessories"... items like your luggage, clothing, kitchenware, etc.
would be covered under your Homeowners policy.
If attached to the RV, awnings, TVs, microwave, or any type item listed above "parts, equipment, machinery, furnishings" located in the RV,
would not be covered under your Homeowners policy.

Also, most Homeowners policies have a large deductible, like 1% of the dwelling coverage,
which would probably exceed a small RV content loss.

I recommend everyone pay any extra premium and include contents coverage on their RV policy.
To get both awnings and antennas covered, that are excluded in the basic auto policy, and to have
coverage for any other contents with a lower deductible than on your HO policy.

TEXAS PERSONAL AUTO POLICY
Exclusions
We will not pay for:
When in or upon any trailer, loss to:
a. TV antennas;
b. awnings or cabanas;

For reference I've quoted Texas policy terms in Italics. While insurance coverage and policies will vary by state and by company,
most should be similar to what is outlined above.

Hopefully this post will help you to know what questions to ask your insurance agent!!!

Last edited: