RV Park/Campground in the Houston/Galveston area

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
As Michael approaches his retirement I am beginning to form our travel plan and plan to be in/around Galveston, TX for 3 weeks in November and hope that some of you might have some suggestions for a place to stay. We'd need full hook up with 50 amp service and enough room to park of 40.6 ft Landmark. Thanks in advance.

mikeandconnie

Kelly,
Here is a good park on the beach and close to the Galveston Boardwalk. Dellanera RV Park I like it because you can back up to a ocean view.
Here is a very nice new park on Tiki Island http://www.tikitomsrv.com/.
There are many more in the area but these are the only one I have visited. I work in Galveston 6 month out of the year.
Here a link for more information. http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Texas/Galveston.html
November is a good month all the park should have good spots.

2psnapod1

Mike & Connie - Thank you for the suggestions. I'll check out each of the parks you've listed.

It's hard to believe that with all of the travels that the people on this forum do...and all of the people that are from Texas...no one else has stayed at any parks in or around Houston, Galveston, Texas City etc?? Hmmm....

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We have stayed at two in the area, one called Via Bayou which is on State Hwy. 146 between Dickinson and Texas City. It is now called Galveston Bay RV Resort and Marina. It is a very quiet park that is pretty secluded with a nice water view. Another park that we have stayed at in the area is the Oasis RV Park that is now owned by Ron Hoover RV. The plus to this location is that its right on the Gulf Frwy. north of Galveston. If you need service work done on your trailer, they can do it while you stay there.

2psnapod1

Jay - Thanks so much for the suggestions. I had already checked on the Galveston RV Park & Marina and had added it to my 'Do more research list'. However, I had not seen the Oasis Resort & RV Park and am quite interested in it. Will give them a call with questions tomorrow. BTW - I enjoy following your blog...I've gotten lots of good tips and places to visit from you!

jayc

The Oasis is really nice with a great pool. Galveston Bay RV is very quiet and close to two of our grandsons, so we'll probably stay there in May.

Thanks for the kind words about my blog. Its fun to do, although I get behind sometimes. Looking forward to meeting someday.

2psnapod1

I just started my own blog as well and I'm sure that I will get behind too! Just hoping that Michael and I are able to enjoy all the fun things that you and Stella have been able to...

jayc

Hope you have fun with your blog. Lets spread the word about your blog and give us the URL. I'm sure there are lots of folks that will follow you too.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Although we have never stayed at the Oasis RV Park it is very nice with all concrete streets and sites. Plus since it is right behind Ron Hoover RV and Ron Hoover is a Heartland dealer if you need any work done on you Heartland RV it can be done right there. They will work on it at your site. (very handy). There is a nice county park right behind the RV Park that you can fish in. Also Oasis RV Park is right on I45 (exit 10) which is easy on and off the freeway plus it is 10 miles from the Gulf Of Mexico in Galveston. Another nice place for a few days is Galveston Island State Park which is on the west end of Galveston Island. Another nice park we have stayed at is The Palms which is in Dickinson on Dickinson Road. All paved street but the Palms does have quite a few full time residents living there. There is an onsite restaurant at the Palms and it is about 15 miles from Galveston and about 5 miles from the dog racing (Gulf Greyhound) race track. Gulf Greyhound is at exit 13 southbound on I45. If you want to stay closer to Houston and the Medical Center there is Lakeview RV Park which is beautiful. It is located a South Main and Hirham Clark in Houston. We have stayed there and it is about 15 minutes from the Houston Medical Center even having a free shuttle to the medical center. Then at 288 and Beltway 8 there is Advanced RV Park. It is all concrete and beautiful also. About 20 miles north of Galveston and about 10 from the Medical Center. Hope this helps.

2psnapod1

Jim - Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I'm planning to look into each tomorrow (too lazy tonight!)...you gave exactly the information that I was looking for - info about the parks and activities nearby! You're the best!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim - Thanks so much for all of your suggestions. I'm planning to look into each tomorrow (too lazy tonight!)...you gave exactly the information that I was looking for - info about the parks and activities nearby! You're the best!

Since we do sitemaps for SE Publications we see alot of parks and stay in all of them we work. We did stay in a couple of parks in Hitchcock and LeMarque we would not recommend as they are what we call "contractor parks". The kind of parks where it is full of full time residents and the rules at the park are not enforced or non-existent. Those type of parks are not the kind we want to deal with. We want reputably parks which are safe to stay in. There are many parks in the Houston-Galveston area and since Houston is so large and traffic is so heavy it pays to stay at a park that is close to where you want to be. Jay Coffman knows alot about the Houston area parks as well and how they are.

ronefx

This is sort of a late reply but my wife's family lives in the Lamarque & Hitchcock area. When we go visit them, we like staying at Marina Bay Rv Resort in Kemah, Tx. It's in a nice area right by the Boardwalk. The park is clean & near all kind of restaurants & stores. The only bad thing is they are a little pricey, but its worth it to us. Hope this helps. Here is a link:

http://www.marinabayrvresort.com/

2psnapod1

Hi ronefx - Thanks for the suggestion...unfortunately you're correct...it's too late as we made our reservations already. While we are in the area we will drive around and check out the various parks in the area so that we have first hand knowledge in the future.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
When you are in the area, be sure to check out Dickinson Bar-B-Que & Steak House.
We were there last night and it was great.
They gave us a complimentary sampler platter. Who would have thought I would like smoked turkey. I was wrong. Had to order that with Czech sausage and sides. Oh, and some beer.
Mary's smoked ribs were awesome.

Peace
Dave

2psnapod1

Thanks, Cookie! I've added Dickinson's to my list of 'must do's' while in the Galveston area! Keep those ideas coming!!

ronefx

A really good cheap eating place in Galveston is Shrimp N Stuff. Its not too difficult to find, but there is no room for an RV that I can remember. Its a place that most locals know about & not many tourists. Its located @ 3901 Avenue O @ the corner of 39th st.

http://www.shrimpnstuff.com/

2psnapod1

A really good cheap eating place in Galveston is Shrimp N Stuff. Its not too difficult to find, but there is no room for an RV that I can remember. Its a place that most locals know about & not many tourists. Its located @ 3901 Avenue O @ the corner of 39th st.

http://www.shrimpnstuff.com/

Ok...now that really wasn't playing fair...you do realize that we won't be in the area until November, right??? I want a Po boy now! You can bet this made my list! Thank you!