RV Park Must Haves

Zedd

Hi we are new to the fifth wheel world and I thank you all for the good information on this forum and the friendly people who are willing to share their experiences. It has helped greatly having this source of information I do have a question that I haven't found an answer to or I missed it.

We are mostly boondocks campers but intend in doing some RV park and some state park camping, our first trip will probably be to the Oregon Coast in a couple of months, but we have never camped in a park before. What are the essential things we should have to be able to utilize the park services?

Thank you agaiin for building this great community.

jbeletti

Park services over boon docking would be:
- Electrical hookup
- Water hookup
- Sewer hookup (if you ask for a full-hookup site)

Your needs for these beyond the supplied power cord might be:
- A 50 amp to 30 amp adapter (easily obtained at Walmart or any dealership)
- A 25 foot water hose suitable for drinking from
- A sewer hose of suitable length and possible a rubber donut (seal) for it

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Where on our beautiful coast are you planning to go? We have a rally just north of Coos Bay July 11-13 where you would be welcome. There is no better way to learn about your RV and meet other owners than a rally.

In addition to what Jim mentioned, you might want to carry some coax cable for the parks that provide cable.

Kristy

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
On you way home from the Oregon Coast and hopefully the Oregon Rally, maybe we could talk you into coming north into Washington for the Rally we have scheduled July 25-27 in Spokane?

Something else to have in the rig when at a campsite is a sewer hose stand or holder, as some parks require the sewer hose to be off the ground.

Rod Ditrich

GrumpyOneandTwo

Don't forget a water pressure regulator. Some parks have water pressure that could be hazardous to your water line system.

We also carry a water filter. May not be necessary but it makes us think it is!!!!!

Also, bring your happy face and don't be shy. Just walk up to your neighbors and start talking....I do and I get to meet some great people!

Have fun,
Mike

MTPockets

Something else to have in the rig when at a campsite is a sewer hose stand or holder, as some parks require the sewer hose to be off the ground.

Rod Ditrich
We have, and occasionally use one, but in over 40 years of camping and traveling in 49 states have never run into this requirement. Not disputing that you've seen them, but I gotta believe it's very rare.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
A good cooler...full of beer!

And some nice chairs for sitting out under the awning!

Oh...some good music!

stevenssr

A surge protector/electrical management system has saved me before. The campground had a bad electrical connector causing a low voltage situation. The surge protector identified and isolated the situation, protecting my RV. Definitely recommended for park services.

Gaffer

Be sure your surge protector does all the following: Shuts off due to over or under voltage, will not operate if neutral or ground are open. Protects against reverse polarity. This is important anywhere you camp, not just older campgrounds. I have had mine protect me from a utility side problem in a new park. The circuit boards in everything from your refrigerator to your TV to the AC unit will thank you for spending the $300 plus bucks.

Zedd

Chairs check!
Beer check!

Kristy and Ron thank you for the invite! I don't think we will make it this year but maybe next!

Gaffer and Stevenssr thank you it never occured to us that we would need a surge protector! Guess I will start the research !

Grumpy picked up a water regulator today thanks!

Jim thank you especially! Its amazing to get such great customer service from a company even though we purchased the unit used. Your customer service team is top notch and I will look at Heartland products again should I ever decide to change!

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I suggest a 50 amp progressive external or if you can wire one an internal. They have a lifetime warranty as I understand.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On you way home from the Oregon Coast and hopefully the Oregon Rally, maybe we could talk you into coming north into Washington for the Rally we have scheduled July 25-27 in Spokane?

Rod Ditrich

I use one on our seasonal site, not because it's required by the CG, but to make draining the tanks easier. No fun having to massage the stinky slinky snake to disgorge its meal. BTDT.

porthole

Retired
If you are only going to buy one water hose I would suggest a 50' hose.
All the years of camping I would guess it is almost 50/50 where I use either the 25 or 50. And a few times I have used both. And once that was just enough.

wdk450

I would 2nd the vote for the Progressive Electrical management System (EMS) electrical system protector. A added benefit if you have the external readout mounted inside your trailer where you can see it, is that most RV park electrical service is still 30 amps. Having the monitor inside lets you know how many amps you are pulling (and get to know how many amps the bigger devices like air conditioning, microwave, electric water heater pull) so you don't trip the outside pedistal circuit breaker.
Also, on Jim's sewer hose suggestion, I would not go with the rubber "donut" seal, but rather a screw-in sewer pipe adapter. I have been in many parks that state that local ordinances require the screw-in type. I have never been in a park where this type didn't work with the park's sewer connection.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
If you are only going to buy one water hose I would suggest a 50' hose.
All the years of camping I would guess it is almost 50/50 where I use either the 25 or 50. And a few times I have used both. And once that was just enough.

I have two 100' water hoses that I take when we stay at campgrounds that don't have a water hookup.

One or both of them together usually will reach the closest water pump.