RV Refrigerator Fires PREVENTION and Suppression

wdk450

Gang:
I just came across a link for the APRrv electronic Ammonia Adsorption RV Refrigerator protection device on another RVing forum. I think I heard about this a few years ago, but the true fire safety and cooling unit protection features of this $130 device were missed. Essentially, this system monitors the refrigeration unit boiler for over temperature conditions, and shuts off power to the refrigerator heating unit if such a condition exists. Overheating of the refrigeration unit can be the cumulative result of not leveling the rig when parking, which can result in the rupture of the cooling unit tubing, spraying out flammable ammonia vapor. This site has a lot of RV refrigeration info. Both Dometic and Norcold R&D developed a device doing the same thing as the APRrv device, but their patent applications were denied in favor of the prior APRrv device. http://www.arprv.com

Along with having this electronic RV Refrigerator fire PREVENTION device, it is also recommended RV owners have a self deploying Halon fire extinguisher in the outside refrigerator compartment. Although Halon was outlawed as a ozone layer threat, large stockpiles of the gas were accumulated before the production ban and can still be legally used. Check here for extinguishers: http://rvcoolingunit.com/Halon-Fire-Extinguishers-C243521.aspx?sid=298

RV Refrigerator fires have historically been the #1 cause of RV fires. Do a Google images search on "RV Fires" to see some eye opening images. I personally saw a rig pull into an RV park I was staying at with the RV refrigerator on fire. Although not totally burned up, the rig was totaled due to internal smoke damage, and damage to the refrigerator compartment and siding.

rxbristol

A fridge fire is one of the reasons we put in a residential. I know a full-timer that saw more than one fridge fire and also put in a residential refrigerator, just to protect his only home.