RV Tire Quality

danemayer

What is the difference between Goodyear G614 and G114? Bot are G-rated - correct?

Goodyear G614: Load range G. 235/85/R16. Max weight per tire 3750 at 110psi. 16" wheels. Outer diameter 30.7". Tread 12/32".

Goodyear G114: Load range H. 215/75/R17.5. Max weight per tire 4805 at 125psi. 17.5" wheels. Outer diameter 30.5". Tread 16/32".

EandJ

Thanks. Did not realize they were H-rated. Seeing they are basically a lower-profile tire - how does the trailer ride vs. the G-rated ones? Any noticeable difference? Seems they would be a lot stiffer ride with a lower sidewall and higher psi.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Thanks. Did not realize they were H-rated. Seeing they are basically a lower-profile tire - how does the trailer ride vs. the G-rated ones? Any noticeable difference? Seems they would be a lot stiffer ride with a lower sidewall and higher psi.

Ours seems to ride even better with the H rated tires.

ParkIt

Must have been the dealer that put on G114's...it didn't look like factory rims when it was delivered. Guess I got lucky on that one so far...still wish I could throw run flats but the weight is too much for the axles.

One thing about any tire on cement: the salt from cement will leach the rubber from the tires and shorten the life. Don't believe me? Check driveways and pads where something was parked for awhile even with covers on, you can see the tread in the cement that won't wash out. Put a block of wood or dura-plastic mats under the tires no matter where you are, it will extend the life of the tires.

As for sidewall strength you don't need a higher rating for cornering unless you plan on doing doughnuts a lot (video if you do!). Sidewall stiffness is for hard cornering and often, even a loaded unit won't put enough stress on a well taken care of towable tire for on/off ramps and windy roads unless you are taking those at 50+mph. At that point you are going to lose more than just a couple of tires...

desertden

Goodyear G614: Load range G. 235/85/R16. Max weight per tire 3750 at 110psi. 16" wheels. Outer diameter 30.7". Tread 12/32".

Goodyear G114: Load range H. 215/75/R17.5. Max weight per tire 4805 at 125psi. 17.5" wheels. Outer diameter 30.5". Tread 16/32".

My 2008 3055RL has 16"x6" rims rated for 3750 lbs at 110 psi. I have been combing through the specs for G614 and XPS Ribs and cannot find one that will work on my 5th wheel. the G614s that would mount on 6" rims have too large a diameter (32") as the spacing between the tires is only 2" and the current tires are approiximagely 30' in diameter as accurately as I can measure them. The only XPS Rib I can find that would fit only has a Load Rating of 115 when I need a minimum of 124. Doess anyone know if it is possible, or safe to have the axles moved apart a couple of inches so that a larger diameter tire could be mounted? There is a G614 that would fit, but it requires 6.5" rims, therefore I would have to buy new rims and tires. I looked at Sailun specs, but found the same problem.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Must have been the dealer that put on G114's...it didn't look like factory rims when it was delivered. Guess I got lucky on that one so far...still wish I could throw run flats but the weight is too much for the axles.

One thing about any tire on cement: the salt from cement will leach the rubber from the tires and shorten the life. Don't believe me? Check driveways and pads where something was parked for awhile even with covers on, you can see the tread in the cement that won't wash out. Put a block of wood or dura-plastic mats under the tires no matter where you are, it will extend the life of the tires.

As for sidewall strength you don't need a higher rating for cornering unless you plan on doing doughnuts a lot (video if you do!). Sidewall stiffness is for hard cornering and often, even a loaded unit won't put enough stress on a well taken care of towable tire for on/off ramps and windy roads unless you are taking those at 50+mph. At that point you are going to lose more than just a couple of tires...

I think some of the previous discussions on sidewall strength were related to the stresses when trying to shove a 40ft. rig into a tight CG space. Then the tires are the pivot point for all of the load.

desertden

"I think some of the previous discussions on sidewall strength were related to the stresses when trying to shove a 40ft. rig into a tight CG space. Then the tires are the pivot point for all of the load."

I have seen some guys cutting sharply to park in those tight spaces and watched the tires actually twist. That can't be good for them.

ParkIt

"I think some of the previous discussions on sidewall strength were related to the stresses when trying to shove a 40ft. rig into a tight CG space. Then the tires are the pivot point for all of the load."

I have seen some guys cutting sharply to park in those tight spaces and watched the tires actually twist. That can't be good for them.
Haven't seen that (yet) though I'd probably freak a bit if I did. Even if you are putting pressure on the sidewall to park its not something you would do so often it could cause premature damage - seems that kind of pressure would break the bead instantaneously at the very least.

porthole

Retired
You'd be surprised how far you can torque those wheels over without breaking the bead.

But with the ease of Level Up it is easy enough to relieve the stress either in the middle of the maneuver or after.

I "unload" my tires every time I finish parking the trailer in my driveway.

desertden

I started this thread after suffering my second tire disaster damaging my 3055RL. After consulting with you fellow Heartland Owners, I have just had a set of Michelin XPS Rim 235/85R16 mounted on all four wheels and the spare. My fondest hope is that I can now roll down the road with some confidence that my tires are going to hold up. I want to thank everyone who offered tips and advice.

Kbvols

I started this thread after suffering my second tire disaster damaging my 3055RL. After consulting with you fellow Heartland Owners, I have just had a set of Michelin XPS Rim 235/85R16 mounted on all four wheels and the spare. My fondest hope is that I can now roll down the road with some confidence that my tires are going to hold up. I want to thank everyone who offered tips and advice.

desertden

sounds great..how much spacing do you have between tires with the XPS's?? I believe one of your prior threads indicated you only had about 2in between tires with your old tires. I was just wondering as I have only a couple inches between mine and I am really leaning toward the XPS'S.

thanks

scottyb

Good deal. I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine. We are up to 7K mi now.

Kbvols, if you have the same 33" axle spacing as most, you will have about 1" between tires. I wasn't thrilled with it at 1st but now it doesn't bother me, as much.

Gary521

If you are concerned with tire spacing ( I know I was ) go wth 245X75X16. Same dimensions as original tires. Check it out.

scottyb

If you are concerned with tire spacing ( I know I was ) go wth 245X75X16. Same dimensions as original tires. Check it out.

I would have done so had I known about them or if Discount had offered them up. However, there is one caveat to it. The 245/75 16 specs show a minimum rim width of 6.5" and most of us have 6.0" rims. I probably still would have done it.

piet10

desertden

sounds great..how much spacing do you have between tires with the XPS's?? I believe one of your prior threads indicated you only had about 2in between tires with your old tires. I was just wondering as I have only a couple inches between mine and I am really leaning toward the XPS'S.

thanks

I have a 2011 Greystone, and was also concerned about tire spacing. I went with the XPS Ribs and have a shade over an inch of clearance. Just got back from a 2500mile trip, and boy did they ride well. And I appreciated the fact of not constantly looking in the mirror or watching the TPMS for an impending blowout. Those Ribs are worth every penny.

Al
HOC #2260

desertden

I watched as the tires were being installed and let out a whoop when the rear tire went on and cleared the front tire by a little over an inch. The 285/85R16 XPS Rib should work on any trailer that does not need more than a maximum load rating of 3042 lbs at 80 psi and they are made for 6" wide rims. I had mine installed at Costco. Shelled out $1500 for 5 tires mounted, new valve stems, inflated with nitrogen, balanced and installed. That included the cost to throw away the china bombs. I can have the tires serviced at any Costco anywhere and Michelin gives a 60,000 mile warranty. BTW, Costco only inflates with nitrogen. I am not sure how important that is, but since it was not an extra expense, I thought "why not".

wdk450

Desertden: I hope you have found your answer. Mobile Outfitters/Lippert was promoting their correct track alignment system at the Goshen Rally saying that wheel alignment has a lot to do with premature blowouts. In that vein of thought you might want to find a good alignment shop that can align trailer axles and see if they can add to your peace of mind. A TPMS system doesn't hurt, either.