RV tire wear

aatauses

Hello,
I have a BH 3670 and have GY 614's. I also have center point suspension system. I have noticed that the tires on the refer side are wearing on the outside of the tire, both front and rear tires. I tried pictures but they do not show the wear (too dark). Several have suggested it is not an alignment issues because they are wearing even, just on the outside of the tire. Others have suggested that this indicates too much air pressure??? I run about 105--107 lbs. I have not heard of having too much pressure, usually hear about issues with too little air---so looking for suggestions?
thanks
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think I have ever seen a G-614 that did not show wear on the outside of the tire. Both sets that I have shown that wear.
I run 110 psi.
On edit, here is what my tires look like.
57e57a9169afe50ca5ba9c7ac9db0865.jpg

Peace
Dave

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
That is pretty normal for G614's, unless you are down to the belts or really severe wear. Can you post a picture or two of them?

Rod

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
FWIW, that's how our Sailuns are wearing as well. Maybe scrubbing as we make turns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

If your tires are over pressured for the weight that they have on them, they will wear in the center. If under pressurized, they will wear on both outside edges. Under pressurization is dangerous because it causes the tires to flex and heat up. Could be caused by scrubbing when backing into paved RV sights.

Piperflyer

My Sailuns have 12,000 miles on them and look as good as when I got them. Inflated to 110 lbs. but have not seen that much backing up on them.

mlpeloquin

My Sailuns have 12,000 miles on them and look as good as when I got them. Inflated to 110 lbs. but have not seen that much backing up on them.

Have you used a tire tread depth gauge on them to make sure that the center is not wearing down faster than the edges? It is better to be over inflated than under, but not too much over.

Gaffer

The way it rolls over the edge looks like tight turns. Probably backing into spots (on Dave's photo).

TravelTiger

617a6b9df61c08d40be8b497fb8c2cfd.jpg
34a0f0dff7c4646ec5458b24add4bb80.jpg

Ok maybe it's not really wear? The Sailuns have a slight slant toward the sidewall, halfway through the outer tread band, outward.

Tires always run at 110, use TPMS. Have about 5k on them.

carl.swoyer

Mine are 614s and run at 110 psi and I also have one tire showing the same wear. I'm thinking that it's from low psi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Mine are 614s and run at 110 psi and I also have one tire showing the same wear. I'm thinking that it's from low psi.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I maintain 110 psi so I don't think its from low pressure. I suspect it's from tire scrubbing while making turns.

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

I agree with Dave, when I used GY 614's they always scrubed the edges off. The Sailuns 17.5's don't seem to do it as much.

TravelTiger

How old are your Sailuns? We just bought a 2017 Newport and have been wondering how well they hold up.

15 months. We probably have 4-5K on them.

Many folks have them and have had them a while. Heartland put them on some rigs back in 2009 or so, switched away from them, then back to them.

I think we've only seen one post where someone with a triple axel toyhauler had one fail.

aatauses

Thanks everyone--knew I would get great responses from this group. My pictures all came out too black to post however my tires look like several of the pictures that have been posted. Perhaps it is the turning that is causing the tires to wear on the inside and outside. I do appreciate that everyone is in full support to keep them fully inflated to 108--110 lbs. I will keep an eye on them and if something develops further you will be the first to know.
Just finished volunteering for fish/wildlife in Crystal river, FL
al