Odd Tire Wear

bigdob24

Noticed some strange wear on my tires. They have around 20 K miles and are about 4 / 5 years old.
‘I’m crazy about air pressure and check before each trip
Any guess as to what caused this wear?

Attachments

• FB430F4E-84E3-4A01-8C93-98597C50A1E2.jpeg
    FB430F4E-84E3-4A01-8C93-98597C50A1E2.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 25
  • EF9B62AF-959F-4747-A7BB-08E8436380AF.jpeg
    EF9B62AF-959F-4747-A7BB-08E8436380AF.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 24

Hollandt

Noticed some strange wear on my tires. They have around 20 K miles and are about 4 / 5 years old.
‘I’m crazy about air pressure and check before each trip
Any guess as to what caused this wear?
I would say if you have 20k plus miles you have done well. But to answer you question it could be axle alignment. It could also be tire inflation pressure. The alignment between axles could be off or the alignment of a particular axle could be off. I recently had one tire on one axle wearing significantly on one side. It turned out that the toe-in on one axle was significantly out of spec as well as the camber being slightly out of spec on that wheel. This could have been like this from the factory or due to a pothole or other similar damage. The axle was "bent" back closer to the proper settings to get more correct wear. Before bending the axle back in position I investigated just purchasing a new axle. I was told by several alignment shops that the probability of getting a new axle that was properly aligned was slim.
As for inflation, as strange as it sounds I have seen articles that indicate that trailer tires can wear on the outside due to over inflation. This of course is the opposite the norm, because under inflation usually causes outside wear. I am not sure of the cause of this but there is significant sliding/dragging of the tires when an RV with multiple axles is turning. There are charts on line by tire manufactures that indicate the correct pressure for different axle weights.
Again if I got 20k out of a set of RV tires I would think I had done well. Also 4 to 5 years age is a max for trailer tires.

Bogie

IMHO if your trailer tires are 5 years old, it's time to change them regardless of what they look like. You are flirting with tire failure and it's cheaper to buy new tires than repair your trailer.

I know you check your tire pressure often. But, have you ever weighed you trailer? The pressure printed on the side of the tire is for operation under the maximum load. If your load is under the maximum, the tire pressure should be adjusted accordingly. Most tire manufacturers publish pressure to load tables for each brand of tire. The only way to know for sure if you are operating at the correct inflation is to know the weight that's actually on the tire.

That said, it could also be an alignment problem as already stated.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I would say if you have 20k plus miles you have done well. But to answer you question it could be axle alignment. It could also be tire inflation pressure. The alignment between axles could be off or the alignment of a particular axle could be off. I recently had one tire on one axle wearing significantly on one side. It turned out that the toe-in on one axle was significantly out of spec as well as the camber being slightly out of spec on that wheel. This could have been like this from the factory or due to a pothole or other similar damage. The axle was "bent" back closer to the proper settings to get more correct wear. Before bending the axle back in position I investigated just purchasing a new axle. I was told by several alignment shops that the probability of getting a new axle that was properly aligned was slim.
As for inflation, as strange as it sounds I have seen articles that indicate that trailer tires can wear on the outside due to over inflation. This of course is the opposite the norm, because under inflation usually causes outside wear. I am not sure of the cause of this but there is significant sliding/dragging of the tires when an RV with multiple axles is turning. There are charts on line by tire manufactures that indicate the correct pressure for different axle weights.
Again if I got 20k out of a set of RV tires I would think I had done well. Also 4 to 5 years age is a max for trailer tires.
Over 25K on our current set of G rated Hartland tires from Discount Tire. Still have over half their tread depth. Wearing evenly. 3 yrs old next month. Easily expect to get my 5 years worth

bigdob24

After another look I found the wear is the same on both sides . If this is an inflation issue on these Sailun tires maybe I should inflate to 110 , I run them around 105/106 cold .
Will start tire shopping

Hollandt

Forum on potential over inflation wear:

Typical wear patterns for tires: