RVing...A rich mans sport?

jpajax

I have all ways believed that you either have to have a lot of money or be mechanically inclined to own a RV. :rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
I have all ways believed that you either have to have a lot of money or be mechanically inclined to own a RV. :rolleyes:

With boating it is both.

I hear you on that! Boating is much more expensive and you still have to tow it!
Kristy

I hear that. My little Evinrude V6 150 HP gets about 3 mpg. I would hate to think what the bigger ones cost to run. We spend much more time camping than we do using the boat (and we even live on the lake).

The little boat has a 50 hP Honda. 28 gallon tank and it only needs fuel once a year, if that.
Big boat burns about 30 gallons per hour - and that we don't tow.

HPMait154

While everyone is looking at the financial costs of owning/operating and RV (which, I feel, is comparable or less than "vacationing" at a motel), I look at it from a more personal point of view; the mental and emotional well being of myself and my family!

We have a 2004 GMC Yukon 4x4 pulling a 2011 Heartland Trail Runner 30FQBS, and take it out, on average, once a month. We normally go no farther than two and a half hours away to Myrtle Beach State Park, where site fee for a full hookup is between $27 and $31 per day.

There are no work phones allowed (I'm usually on-call, but use my "off-call" time to RV).
No computers.
Minimal TV (weather, and cartoons for my toddler).
Most, if not all meals, are cooked OUTSIDE on an open fire (rain permitting - cold is NOT an excuse!)

Not only does doing this keep me off the therapist's couch (where I was once a week before starting this lifestyle), but my blood-pressure medication has been reduced.

And there is NO price you can put on all of THAT!

hoefler

While everyone is looking at the financial costs of owning/operating and RV (which, I feel, is comparable or less than "vacationing" at a motel), I look at it from a more personal point of view; the mental and emotional well being of myself and my family!

We have a 2004 GMC Yukon 4x4 pulling a 2011 Heartland Trail Runner 30FQBS, and take it out, on average, once a month. We normally go no farther than two and a half hours away to Myrtle Beach State Park, where site fee for a full hookup is between $27 and $31 per day.

There are no work phones allowed (I'm usually on-call, but use my "off-call" time to RV).
No computers.
Minimal TV (weather, and cartoons for my toddler).
Most, if not all meals, are cooked OUTSIDE on an open fire (rain permitting - cold is NOT an excuse!)

Not only does doing this keep me off the therapist's couch (where I was once a week before starting this lifestyle), but my blood-pressure medication has been reduced.

And there is NO price you can put on all of THAT!

So true! I have been working between 6 and 7 days a week for the past 5+ years. Wife schedules a weekend, and I plan my workaround it, and we go. Recently, we found a state park where there is no cell phone reception!! Perfect!! I have to drive a mile and a half to get any signal to call dish to set my locals up. 3 days of pure bliss, hiking, napping, watching the race, just pure heaven! Well worth the cost of fuel for a quite weekend.

jimtoo

ALL cell phones and computers have an OFF BUTTON! They work really good if you don't want to be contacted or disturbed.

Jim M

mmomega

AnyTimer
I agree with HPMait on the emotional well being. My wife and I have always been big travelers even before we met. There is just something to be said about finding that perfect little spot and the absolute peace and quiet of being away from most others.
While I wouldn't say it is a rich mans sport, I will say that it very well can be. We too usually make at least 1 good 1,500 mile trip each summer and if diesel doesn't go over $4 and I get the same mileage it shouldn't cost but about $80 +/- different than last year.
1500 miles by 11mpg = 136gal x $4 = $545 compared to about $460 last year at $3.40/gal
We also usually shop at Costco with 2 other couples and split the cost for almost all of our supplies by buying in bulk. So that helps. I also shop at Kroger which gives .10 off/gal of diesel and I save most of our points for a big trip like a have at least $1/gal savings at the moment so that will save $37 off of my first fill-up before we head out and 0.03 off at any Shell stations because they take Kroger cards.
Being a GoodSam member and having a National State park pass also helps save a little here and there. It adds up to a decent savings over the year.

Also, we would have never met the amount of good honest caring people that would give the shirt off their back to help you by staying in hotels and flying. Almost like meeting long lost relatives... some you love, some you'd rather not be related too :)

and @ HPMait, how is the park in Myrtle Beach? I am born and raised SC and throughout my teens and after I've been to Myrtle more times than I can remember but this was well before I got into RV'ing. May end up there this summer since we tow from Dallas to SC every year to see my parents.
....I just need to get my dad to put in a 50amp behind his house and the trip would be much cheaper.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
We have found it helps to be able to make a little extra money while 'on the road'. For the last year we have been working for Southeast Publications selling the advertising you see in the RV Park sitemaps. Since their sales personnel are not assigned areas we can go where and when we want, work when we get there and still have enough time to see the sights we want to. Something to consider as you have your travel, RV, and many other tax deductions available. So that also cuts down on you travel costs. Any one interested PM me for more info.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
There is just something to be said about finding that perfect little spot and the absolute peace and quiet of being away from most others.

Just curious, How do you find the perfect "little" spot for your landmark? cause we ain't having much luck with our Bighorn.:)

porthole

Retired
Now don't get me wrong, having a few million acre play ground in your backyard isn't all bad... I'm just saying finding that perfect little spot that will fit a 40' 5th wheel can be a chore.

Then along your travels you just might want to skip South Jersey :cool:

Dave49

Now don't get me wrong, having a few million acre play ground in your backyard isn't all bad... I'm just saying finding that perfect little spot that will fit a 40' 5th wheel can be a chore.

Gotta go with Cody WY myself. What a wonderful place that is. And the campground in Cody which is Ponderosa Campground is perfect and the workers are fantastic there. Went all the way around the country this past summer, and Cody was my favorite!!

mmomega

AnyTimer
Just curious, How do you find the perfect "little" spot for your landmark? cause we ain't having much luck with our Bighorn.:)
We came across it by accident and a stroke of luck. While visiting my parents we called every park around and we found one spot that "should" be big enough.
We got there and it was the only spot available, in a quiet corner on a lake and the spot was on a small peninsula.
It just had two small coves on either side , enough tree cover to give shade around you but plenty of open sky to get a satellite signal. No neighbors close by and far enough from the road to not hear any vehicles driving by. You can walk out a good 150ft or more into the lake before it drops further than 5-6ft so it's perfect for the kids. A nice little breeze off the lake each night; it is just a really cool spot.

We call every Feb. and book it for July to make sure we get the same spot. All my family in the area love it cause they seem to spend more time there than at their own homes.

No, I can't say exactly where it is because I want to make sure I always get it, lol.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Thanks so much for sharing. It sounds perfect!! This winter Amy, Tucker and I have hiked some of the camp grounds on the national forest looking for our perfect little weekend spot. We found a couple that might work. There are public corals either at or very nearby so if I can talk Amy into pulling the horse trailer we may just find our perfect "little" spot too.