Sailun tire blowout.

dbbls59

On my way to the Mississippi rally an my 5 year old Sailun blew out. Tire pressure monitor didn't alert so it didn't lose air. I had just taken the cruise control off to pull into a rest area when it blew. The tread stayed enact but the sidewalls were destroyed. Waited 2 and 1/2 hours for road service which never showed up and I was 5 miles from a town on an interstate. I put my blow max spare on and made it to the rally. Went into Tupelo and found a tire shop with G rated tires. They were Master Track but the tread looked just like the Sailun. Also replaced the blow max because it looked like it was about to have pups. Probably wouldn't have made it another 20 miles. I was going to use one of the old Sailun as a spare but the bead was stuck to the rim on every one. Go figure. Any way, all new tires, even the spare, on the old Big Country.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Wow, sorry to hear! How many miles were on the tires? Did you suffer any damage to the coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tireman9

"Blowout" is such a generic term. Any chance you have pictures?

Have you filed a complaint with NHTSA yet?

dbbls59

Wow, sorry to hear! How many miles were on the tires? Did you suffer any damage to the coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damaged the finder skirt. I was surprised it didn't do more damage. Probably because I was slowing down to enter the rest area. The tread belt stayed intact which also helped. Tires had about 30,000 miles on them. Still had lots of tread.

NYSUPstater

At 5 years old, from what I've read these past several years is you were at the end of their lifespan despite lots of tread left. Consensus is to replace RV tires every 5 years regardless of tread life. Glad you got to your rally w/o further incident. BTW, what happened to your road service? Hope you reemed them out a new butthole

LBR

They are 5 years old, 30,000 miles. Sounds like good service to me. I would not waste anyones time.
10-4 on that....even the best made tires will get baked after 5 years if exposed to the sun all the time (Az, SoCal, etc)...am NOT saying this is the case with the OP, but a blanket statement that petroleum products will be compromised.

tireman9

On my way to the Mississippi rally an my 5 year old Sailun blew out. Tire pressure monitor didn't alert so it didn't lose air. I had just taken the cruise control off to pull into a rest area when it blew. The tread stayed enact but the sidewalls were destroyed. Waited 2 and 1/2 hours for road service which never showed up and I was 5 miles from a town on an interstate. I put my blow max spare on and made it to the rally. Went into Tupelo and found a tire shop with G rated tires. They were Master Track but the tread looked just like the Sailun. Also replaced the blow max because it looked like it was about to have pups. Probably wouldn't have made it another 20 miles. I was going to use one of the old Sailun as a spare but the bead was stuck to the rim on every one. Go figure. Any way, all new tires, even the spare, on the old Big Country.

Have you confirmed your TPMS is working properly? What is the Low-pressure warning level?
If you unscrew the sensor you should get a warning within a few seconds. If not you need to contact the TPMS company/dealer and ask them about the problem.