Sailuns and 110PSI

crussian

I read in a couple of other sources that there is a wide difference of opinion on tire pressure. My Sailuns say on the tire, Max 110psi. I know I should check the psi cold. But what about the psi if it is empty or fully loaded? Max means max to me. If the coach is empty, 110 sounds fine, but if I add 2000lbs, seems to me that it would overburden the tires. Yes, no?

Thanks in advance.

C&J

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
How it was explained to me is that at 110 psi, that tire will hold the max weight it was meant to hold. One of the reasons we switched to the Sailuns is that they are rated way above what we need for our trailer. We had our rig weighed at the national rally last year and were told we only had to run our tires at 95 psi to hold the weight of our trailer. Many folks will run max psi no matter what. Either way it is a matter of personal belief I suppose.

danemayer

Max pressure allows the tire to support it's max rated weight. A 16" Sailun S637 probably supports 3,750 lbs if inflated to 110 psi (cold).

On a 2 axle coach, that would give you 15,000 lbs of capacity on the 4 tires.

A coach with 16,000 lbs GVWR is probably carrying around 3,200 on the pin, and 12,800 on the tires. So with a fully loaded coach, you would have 2,200 lbs of margin on your tires - assuming even distribution of weight.

But weight is rarely distributed evenly. So you could have one tire carrying 3,200 lbs. Another carrying 2,900 lbs., another carrying 3,500 lbs. All less than the rating of 3,750 lbs.

I'm a believer in having a good safety margin on loading. If you did have one tire carrying 3,500 lbs, leaving only 250 lbs of margin relative to the tire's max load of 3,750, I'd suggest trying to rearrange stuff to shift weight. Or move to 17.5" tires that will carry more weight.

crussian

Thanks for the replies. I think I am well within the limits of the tires. Just wanted to make sure that if I inflate a loaded coach to 110PSI that the tires can handle it.

Thanks all.

C&J

Oregon_Camper

Thanks for the replies. I think I am well within the limits of the tires. Just wanted to make sure that if I inflate a loaded coach to 110PSI that the tires can handle it.

Thanks all.

C&J

I'd highly recommend a TPMS that monitors your truck and RV's tires. We bought the TST version about 6 months ago and LOVE them. I used to try to sneak a peak at the tires while driving, even though I never really had a good line of sight. Now, I have my trusty co-pilot (otherwise known as my wife) just keep on eye on the little display. She gets a kick out of telling me the info (PSI and Temp).

Link to TST System on Amazon

515Dyt-jB9L.jpg

crussian

I'd highly recommend a TPMS that monitors your truck and RV's tires. We bought the TST version about 6 months ago and LOVE them. I used to try to sneak a peak at the tires while driving, even though I never really had a good line of sight. Now, I have my trusty co-pilot (otherwise known as my wife) just keep on eye on the little display. She gets a kick out of telling me the info (PSI and Temp).

View attachment 54962

Yep - got those last week, just haven't installed yet. It seems pretty easy.

C&J

Piperflyer

I run mine at 110psi and also have TPMS on each tire. I have run over 20,000 miles in the past two years with my Sailuns and they are holding up great. I would highly recommend the TST system as the company stands behind their product and their customer service is the best.

OSIN

Max pressure allows the tire to support it's max rated weight. A 16" Sailun S637 probably supports 3,750 lbs if inflated to 110 psi (cold).

On a 2 axle coach, that would give you 15,000 lbs of capacity on the 4 tires.

A coach with 16,000 lbs GVWR is probably carrying around 3,200 on the pin, and 12,800 on the tires. So with a fully loaded coach, you would have 2,200 lbs of margin on your tires - assuming even distribution of weight.

But weight is rarely distributed evenly. So you could have one tire carrying 3,200 lbs. Another carrying 2,900 lbs., another carrying 3,500 lbs. All less than the rating of 3,750 lbs.

I'm a believer in having a good safety margin on loading. If you did have one tire carrying 3,500 lbs, leaving only 250 lbs of margin relative to the tire's max load of 3,750, I'd suggest trying to rearrange stuff to shift weight. Or move to 17.5" tires that will carry more weight.

Good Call!

The 17.5 Goodyear tires on the new Landmarks are about the best tires I've seen on a factory rig.
TST makes a great system, been using for over a year, might want to invest in the accessory repeater if you have a longer rig.

Paul

CDN

B and B
I have found the Sailuns are great tires. The best stock tires on any trailer I have owned. I seldom go above 95 F running with our ambient of 85 F in Ontario. This is fully loaded trailer with water tank full.

Oldelevatorman

Almost 15k on my 17.5 Sailuns on my '17 Landmark! Good tires so far and we have the 'Tire Trakker' pressure monitor which is great also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NHCelt

Air them to 110 psi and don't overload any tire. Remember that cold tire pressure will change depending on temperature and altitude, so regular psi monitoring is important.

I always set at max pressure to get the rated carrying capacity of the tire. Some people will lower the psi from 110 based upon their actual trailer weights. That decision is yours alone...lowering the pressure will decrease capacity...there are charts available.

whp4262

View attachment 54962

I’ve had the TST system for a couple years and it’s saved the side of my camper a couple times already. Only issue I’ve had is they will crack rubber valve stems over time so I use the metal valve stems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JMP

I use my standard tire pressure gauge to check actual tire PSI (110 PSI cold). However, my TST gauge usually reads somewhere between ~106-108PSI between the six tires. I've been using the standard pressure gauge as the actual tire PSI, not TST. Do others do the same, or to you use the TST reading as the actual PSI?

NTXNEWBIES

I use my standard tire pressure gauge to check actual tire PSI (110 PSI cold). However, my TST gauge usually reads somewhere between ~106-108PSI between the six tires. I've been using the standard pressure gauge as the actual tire PSI, not TST. Do others do the same, or to you use the TST reading as the actual PSI?

Use the reading from your tire gauge for initial settings and use the readings of the TST as a relative reading from one tire to the other watching for changes in pressures and temp changes from one tire to the other..

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I set my tires to 110 psi with a trucker's tire gage. The TST does read a bit different, but I watch for any abnormal readings while towing.