Sandusky OH to Niagara Falls, Canada

vakthund

We are planning a trip from Sandusky OH to Niagara Falls in Ontario Canada (leg four of a six leg trip). Thinking about entering Canada from Detroit and take 401 and Queen Elizabeth Way to Niagara Falls. Does any of our fellow Heartlanders have any experience entering Canada, especially at Detroit, with the route, or traveling in general with a camper in Canada? What should we look out for or avoid?
I see there are plenty of trucks stops along the route and we are aiming for the FlyingJ in London, ON for fuel and to head into London for lunch (without the camper, we are traveling in two vehicles). Yelp indicated a several good restaurants but advice from fellow campers is always more accurate and obviously rate higher. :)
My wife and I are traveling with our 13 year old daughter, one of her friends, and our 25 year old nephew visiting from Norway with two of his friends. We are testing the sleeping capacity of the Cyclone!
Besides the absolutely touristy stuff, any advice of what to do and see in and near Niagara Falls would be greatly appreciated also.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
We recently came back from Niagara Falls via QEW. Nice road.
We came through Port Huron though, not Detroit.
If you do not have plans on where you will be staying, Campark would be my choice.
Easy access to all activities via the bus line.

Peace
Dave

jdamude

We are from Niagara Falls. There are a few campgrounds that are conducive of larger trailers. Cam park resort on Lundy's lane is good and close to the transit system. We just finished the Ontario Rally there. There is also a campground at the south end of the city called King Waldorf's, it is part of the Marineland property. At the North end in Queenston, there is a campground called Shalamar Lake. It has a large man made pool. In the centre of the city just off the QEW is Jellystone Park. There is lots to do in the Falls depending on your interests. The transit system is excellant and will get you wherever you need to go. Clifton Hill is action packed with museums and restaurants. There are fireworks every Friday evening at 10pm. In the Niagara Parks at the bottom of Clifton Hill.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

From Sandusky you may want to travel the 90 to Buffalo and cross at the Peace Bridge. From there you will be 15 minutes from the Falls.

Jeff

ILH

With respect to London, there are lots of restaurants on Wellington Road just off highway 401. Its a university town so there are lots of interesting roadhouses. Go Western!

Retyred

You might want to check with Canadian Customs before you leave as your visitors from Europe might need a visa to enter Canada. If you cross at Detroit you can fill up with fuel at the Duty free gas bar.

priorguy

There's lots of War of 1812 touristy stuff all along the Niagara Escarpment. DW is from Hamilton an hour or so up the QEW towards Toronto. Also, Niagara on the Lake is a nice visit and lots of winery tour in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vakthund

Thank you for the responses. We are heading from Sandusky tomorrow morning and staying at Campark. Lunch in London and we'll be sure to explore Clifton Hill and catch the fireworks.