Satellite Dish - Self or Dealer install

orion7144

I am upgrading to the Bighorn and it is prewired for the Traveler. Dealer quoted over $600 for the install. I do not have a problem installing my self I just do not like getting on the roof. If I drill into the roof do I have to hit studs or is the roof strong enough? I have plenty of dicor and eternabond tape. Camping world has a $59 installs anything right now but I do not trust them.

donr827

Re: self install or Dealer

I had my dealer install mine. That price should be negotiable since you are buying a Bighorn from them. I think that $200 should be fair.

RoadJunkie

I installed my own; The hardest part is getting everything onto the roof. I hauled the parts up a ladder onto a slide and then moved all onto the roof. I would recommend the purchase of the base plate that supports the LNB arm when lowered. Clean surface thoroughly, Dicor, Dicor, Dicor and then screw down the base plate to the roof. Mount the antenna base to the base plate, connect cables, Dicor the hole cover plate for cable feed through...then go buy some tools with the $600 you saved. Of course these are simplified steps, but it really is a mid-level job rating. Find your cable from the inside. Drill a pilot hole through the ceiling and run a hole saw backwards on the rubber roof membrane from the roof side. This step will keep the hole saw from grabbing and ripping the rubber roofing material.

orion7144

So the pre-wire cables are not accessible from the roof?

I installed my own; The hardest part is getting everything onto the roof. I hauled the parts up a ladder onto a slide and then moved all onto the roof. I would recommend the purchase of the base plate that supports the LNB arm when lowered. Clean surface thoroughly, Dicor, Dicor, Dicor and then screw down the base plate to the roof. Mount the antenna base to the base plate, connect cables, Dicor the hole cover plate for cable feed through...then go buy some tools with the $600 you saved. Of course these are simplified steps, but it really is a mid-level job rating. Find your cable from the inside. Drill a pilot hole through the ceiling and run a hole saw backwards on the rubber roof membrane from the roof side. This step will keep the hole saw from grabbing and ripping the rubber roofing material.

Dumboldles

I had the dealer do mine, at the time they had a very competent tech that knew what he was doing. I have done some minor repairs and upgrades to my unit but do not consider myself competent on the complicated stuff.

RoadJunkie

So the pre-wire cables are not accessible from the roof?

The cables on my Big Horn were located behind a wall outlet cover plate on the bedroom ceiling. After pulling the cables down, I drilled a pilot hole from the opening behind the cover plate.

orion7144

I just completed my pre delivery inspection. The control cable and RG6 was located in the closet. It was raining so I did not go on the roof. Guy said there is a box on the roof that the cables are in.

esscobra

I installed mine the same as road junkie- get the base plate, some dicor and eternabond and your in business- what model bighorn? as stated the cables will be behind blank cover plate on ceiling in front Bedroom/bathroom depending on floorplan - same as wall outlet w/o out holes- pull the cables down and drill upthru as roadjunkie said- then when they are thru onto roof you can determine how much cable you have and that will determine where you mount unit - instructions are clear on distances away from other items-again roadjunkie has great instructions - place dicor down then put plate down and screw down to roof , then mount unit to plate , more dicor - and run cables and fasten them down- I used eternabond to cover the cables and secure them down - ill add pics if I can find them- I was hesitant but gad I did- hardest part will be getting unit up there.

Attachments

• 8693.jpg
    8693.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8693.jpg
    IMG_8693.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 66

RoadJunkie

Guy said there is a box on the roof that the cables are in.

I don’t know “Guy”, but I have not heard of anyone who’s experience indicated that the cables were in a box on the roof. I wonder if Guy has ever installed an antenna?

orion7144

I don’t know “Guy”, but I have not heard of anyone who’s experience indicated that the cables were in a box on the roof. I wonder if Guy has ever installed an antenna?

Sorry it was late. It was the person who did the pre-delivery walk through

orion7144

Would you guys recommend the Dicor in the tube or the Dicor butyl seal tape for the base plate?

carl.swoyer

On my 2012 Landmark Rushmore my wire's are behind the bedroom speakers

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Would you guys recommend the Dicor in the tube or the Dicor butyl seal tape for the base plate?

I penciled the outline of the base plate before installing screws, then removed the base plate and laid down a heavy bead of the self-leveling (tube) Dicor on the inside edges of the outline. Carefully replace the base plate over the Dicor bead and screw down the base plate. I also put a dab of Dicor at each screw hole location to help prevent leaks at the screw location. When finished applying all screws, I covered each screw with Dicor and ran a solid bead on top of, and around, the base plate edges.