Satellite receiver behind cabinet door in newport LM365?? suggestions on who to get remote to operate!!

owheaton

so I'm sure there dis something that I'm missing here or I'm overthinking this but in my new Newport LM365, all shelving, cabinets that surround my main TV have doors. Once the door is closed, the remote will not operate the receiver that sits behind it so I'm left with vain to open and close the door anytime i need to change channels which sort of defeats the purpose of the remote to begin with. DW simply wont allow the door to sit open so wondering if anyone out there has done anything to address this situation? its a great world when this is my main concern of the day!!!

Thanks for your suggestions

Owen

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
We had the same problem in our LM 365 Key West. We took the two upper outside cabinet doors to a cabinet shop and had the wooden center panels removed and replaced with smoked glass. Problem solved.

Photo #1.jpg

owheaton

Mark and Kristy:
That looks amazing and is exactly what i was looking for as a suggestion!!! i guess the doors will be coming down next weekend when i get back to the RV!

Thanks so much!!

Owen

TxCowboy

What a timely thread! Wife and I were discussing this same issue over the weekend and the smoked glass is a great idea!

osims

bsims
If you have Dish Network you can call and have them send you radio controlled remotes instead of the standard inferred, we did this on our Bighorn and it works great.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Ours has a louvered door on the middle cabinet. It seems to work OK too.
5b148af44116332ff3c419e845fa3552.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

farside291

We had the same problem with ours. We replaced the existing TV with a new 2015 50 inch Samsung UN6500 and the POS Sony receiver with a Samsung 5.1 receiver. Connected the existing speakers and subwoofer to the receiver. I connected the TV to the receiver with an optical cable so I can use the receiver for TV volume and the receiver to the TV with an HDMI cable for DVD and now the TV detects that it is connected to the receiver and will control the receiver through the TV with the doors closed using the TV remote. Cost a little bit but we like our TV.

jbeletti

Owen - Not sure if you have DirecTV or Dish Network. As Bill Sims mentioned for Dish, DirecTV also has remotes that can be used in IR mode as well as RF mode. RF mode is your friend when the receiver is in a cabinet (or another room).

porthole

Retired
Owen - Not sure if you have DirecTV or Dish Network. As Bill Sims mentioned for Dish, DirecTV also has remotes that can be used in IR mode as well as RF mode. RF mode is your friend when the receiver is in a cabinet (or another room).

Solid Signal website frequently has the RF remotes on sale. Last time I ordered a pair of the RF's for under $20, shipping included.

goldenbear

so I'm sure there dis something that I'm missing here or I'm overthinking this but in my new Newport LM365, all shelving, cabinets that surround my main TV have doors. Once the door is closed, the remote will not operate the receiver that sits behind it so I'm left with vain to open and close the door anytime i need to change channels which sort of defeats the purpose of the remote to begin with. DW simply wont allow the door to sit open so wondering if anyone out there has done anything to address this situation? its a great world when this is my main concern of the day!!!

Thanks for your suggestions

Owen
In our Newport LM365 I swapped the middle louvered door with the left door that the receiver is in. This solved the remote probem.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Kenneths

In our Newport LM365 I swapped the middle louvered door with the left door that the receiver is in. This solved the remote probem.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it will fit but you might be able to take one of the louvered doors from the bedroom of your Newport, I think they are the same size.

gandmrv

I had same issue in my key west. I just made a 2 in tall shelf that fits in center cabinet over the DVD player, then mounted my satellite receiver on top of it. Receiver gets signal from remote through the slats in center door. Ziggy's fix looks awesome though!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

owheaton

Jim:
I was not aware that i could get this for Directv so really appreciate the response. Do you know if i need to purchase an antennae as well or just the remote? i took a quick look online and there are multiple configurations and units!! i just want to be sure that i'm buying the right one and everything i need to solve the issue!

Thanks again

Owen

lynndiwagoner

The Directv Genie receiver, HR44, comes with the RC71 remote control. You can order more from Ebay very cheap. The HR44 and the RC71 have built in RF and need no external antenna. It's a simple matter to change from IR to RF. If you don't have the HR44 receiver yet I would encourage you to call Directv and ask for an upgrade.