Seeking tow vehicle recommendation

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Personal preference to brands is just that but what is important when buying a tow vehicle is getting one that is built for what you want to use it for! Make sure it is suited for the loads you intend to pull. For example, you'll get better mileage with a 3:73 differential when not towing but if the tow package is required for the weights you are hauling, the 4:11 gear is going to make towing a whole lot better experience for you and your truck.

dave10a

In today 's light, brand is simply a personal choice that usually ends up as emotional appeal. Stick to the facts and reality of your needs while trying to tame the emotions :) I find it better to not be blinded by branding.

tmcran

In today 's light, brand is simply a personal choice that usually ends up as emotional appeal. Stick to the facts and reality of your needs while trying to tame the emotions :) I find it better to not be blinded by branding.

Now that is a thought. Although not realistic. Take this site for example. I believe most folks here are affected by branding. HEARTLAND units.

Branding doesn't bother me at all. Get what you like and enjoy it.

sandman

I think you guys should all be ashamed.you guys are like a bunch of children. all he asked for was some recommendation, not a bunch of truck bashings.

tmcran

I think you guys should all be ashamed.you guys are like a bunch of children. all he asked for was some recommendation, not a bunch of truck bashings.

LOL. You know the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

larev

Well it's vitally important to get the right over-the-road toys since the secret men's rules prevent us from stopping to ask directions. I'm sure this has a lot to do with the invention of GPS!

Birchwood

Probably all you require is a 3/4 ton and if you are hauling across the country often get the diesel option.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Thanks! But a "larger RV"?! I'm already questioning our decision to buy one this big.

Its amazing how fast you get used to towing these things and pretty soon that 2 footitus creeps up on you like it does with people who buy boats. We just went with the big coach to start with because we learned that lesson the hard way with our boats. Once you get used to the new luxuries you will have in the North Country, that Big Country, Big Horn, or even Landmark, starts to look pretty good. lol

Kristy

rumaco

US Army Retired (CW4)
I can't think of a "subject" that will get you more opinions than TVs. I can't think of a subject that will get you into more trouble than you can imagine than TVs and this meaning the wrong one. I pulled my 3580RL with a modified F250 for quite some time UNTIL I met "cabbage Hill" known also as "Dead Man's Hill" or "Imigration" in Oregon near Pendleton (it is the one that warns you 5 miles away and gives you more warnings every mile you get closer). It was at this point that I finally said enough is enough. I purchased an F350 DRW 2WD and never looked back. It dosen't matter the make but make sure it fits the bill..........no cheating, just make sure! I purchased the 2WD because of 1. ride 2. mileage 3. it has a higher pull (500#) rating than the 4WD. I am getting about 17mpg highway unloaded and about 14.8 pulling my Bighorn 3580RL. I look back now and understand just how dangerous being 2500# overweight can be and what could have happened

Porkchop

Thanks! But a "larger RV"?! I'm already questioning our decision to buy one this big.

Well, I started out looking at tow behind toy haulers first. I thought, will I really need a bigger RV? And guess what. I ended up with a 5th wheel! It's big enough right now, but I'm SO glad that I got the 35 foot 5th wheel vs the smaller tow behind.

Whatever your decision, good luck and do a LOT of research.

Irene

dave10a

Many times buying a RV is like buying a motor cycle. Start out small and end up larger :) Meanwhile a lot of money was spent while building up to something you really wanted in the first place... but didn't know it..

GOTTOYS

I can't think of a "subject" that will get you more opinions than TVs. I can't think of a subject that will get you into more trouble than you can imagine than TVs and this meaning the wrong one. I pulled my 3580RL with a modified F250 for quite some time UNTIL I met "cabbage Hill" known also as "Dead Man's Hill" or "Imigration" in Oregon near Pendleton (it is the one that warns you 5 miles away and gives you more warnings every mile you get closer). It was at this point that I finally said enough is enough. I purchased an F350 DRW 2WD and never looked back. It dosen't matter the make but make sure it fits the bill..........no cheating, just make sure! I purchased the 2WD because of 1. ride 2. mileage 3. it has a higher pull (500#) rating than the 4WD. I am getting about 17mpg highway unloaded and about 14.8 pulling my Bighorn 3580RL. I look back now and understand just how dangerous being 2500# overweight can be and what could have happened
14.8 MPG !!! Pulling a 3580 with a Dually...You have to be the only person in the whole country getting that kind of mileage..I'm impressed..Don

zigzag3337

I pulled my 12K pound bunkhouse from Florida to Yellowstone and back at 15.6 MPG with my '03 Dodge 2500 5.9 HO Cummins and 4.10 gears. Since then, I've upgraded to a '10 Dodge 3500 Dually with the 6.7L Cummins with the 3.73 gears and even though it will pull my Cyclone, I'm already looking for another truck. The Max Tow Package that Dodge has now has great reviews on towing. My decision to go with Dodge is the Cummins track record. Don't get me wrong, I looked at all three before buying. Comparing options, the Dodge was by far the least expensive one.

caissiel

Get the right trailer first, 5th wheels have 5 feet advantage and a dream to tow.
I will only tow with a diesel, any make will do. I always buy on payback value, and never been wrong yet.

Sent from my GT-S5660M using Tapatalk 2