Self install a 5th airborne?

dougw

Any reason one shouldn't install a pinbox for them selfs? Anything tricky about installing a 5th airborne? I'm thinking of getting one and installing it myself on my '10 cyclone.

Thanks for any info.

Bighurt

Most people don't have the tools or the torque wrench...it's not exactly hand tight. And it's definitely not light.

dprince99

I replaced my old pin box with the "Mor ryde" pin box last fall with no problems.
I would make sure that you have help to left the old one off & the new one on.
If you don't, I've read that others have used their truck hitches to remove & replace the pin boxes.
I used the front loader on my tractor, & don't forget the torque wrench
Have fun, it's not that bad of a job, just take your time & be careful.

truknutt

Committed Member
Just put a 5th Airborne on our Cyclone; IT"S HEAVY!! We used the front end loader on the tractor to hold her up. If you have a couple buddies and a case of their favorite beverage it shouldn't be a problem!!

jnbhobe

We did a Tri-Glide on ours from a picnic table at the Nashville Rally, and it only took 15 of us to do the job. But we had fun!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We did a Tri-Glide on ours from a picnic table at the Nashville Rally, and it only took 15 of us to do the job. But we had fun!!
Yeah, I was there but I mossed that escapade.:D:D But yes, a wooden, not plastic picnic table and a floor jack. I did my own with a little help from Lin. If you have the tools, go for it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The 5th Airborne is considerably heavier than the standard Lippert 1621. Just moving it around in the garage after it was delivered made having the dealer mount while doing some other work made it a better idea for me. I was thinking of jerry-rigging a platform in the truck bed to use the hitch to hold it up, but decided the limited working space would be hazardous. Not to mention trying to arrange for some muscled help at the storage yard. Dealer charged me $125 to mount it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Did my Mor/Ryde myself. Had the UPS guy help me lift into the TV bed. The only thing I found was getting to the nuts in the inside was a little tricky. You need 3 elbows and a extension magnet for the nuts and washers that fall inside the old pinbox. It's TOOOOO heavy to pickup and shake.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
The 5th Airborne is considerably heavier than the standard Lippert 1621. Just moving it around in the garage after it was delivered made having the dealer mount while doing some other work made it a better idea for me. I was thinking of jerry-rigging a platform in the truck bed to use the hitch to hold it up, but decided the limited working space would be hazardous. Not to mention trying to arrange for some muscled help at the storage yard. Dealer charged me $125 to mount it.

Same thoughts here. VERY heavy. Had dealer do it. I think $125 was about right. On our ER, it didn't attach into the same location holes as the old kingpin, so glad they got it done, and done right. They even spray-painted everything black (old holes had slight rust once the bolts/washers were removed.)

dieselengineer

Charter Member
Installed the unit on mine the other year by myself. It can be done, and is not that hard. Have some drift pins ready to hold the unit in the vertical position, then swing it up in place. Oh, lift some weights for a week or so before to get ready for the task.

lwmcguir

Found the same when I installed mine. Drift pins are very handy and having the hitch in the back of the truck makes it a lot easier for one person to install. Sure do like ours and with the cover back on it we still have the factory look.

RoadJunkie

Is there a reason one could not attach the unmounted kingpin to the hitch and then back up the truck to the mounting position? Maybe it's too difficult to align mounting holes with the precision necessary?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Road, yes, the pinbox fits very tight to the frame. I don't think with the pinbox on the hitch you would have enough movement to wedge it on to the frame. You would have to be dead on to the frame. 2 rolling head bars would keep it in place to get the bolts started. Once you get it in place so you can get a bolt or 2 in place ...you are home free. The hardest part is getting you arms into the tight space to start the lock washers and nuts.

dougw

Any idea what the torque value is on those bolts? I tried to download them from e-trailer but only a portion of them came through.

dougw

Thank you!

Thanks all as well. The wife gave me her hesitant blessing to buy. Just wait till she finds out she has to help install(g).

porthole

Retired
Have changed mine twice now by myself. Not that difficult, but certainly not exactly simple.

I had tough time trying to get the pin box up into the frame and ended up using the bottle jack that came with my truck to spread the pin box mount apart to get the Mor/Ryde up into the frame.
Once doing that two drift pins made short order of getting the job done.