Separation of front compartment area from frame

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Lou, if you notice in the pix I used construction adhesive on the lower part where the aluminum frame goes to the steel frame at the bottom. Been there since 2010 and still holding. I did install more and larger sheet metal screws.

mlpeloquin

Lou, That is what I noticed until 12K miles later. Had screws on the inside stripped. Actually I think that they pulled out because others had snapped heads. This may be underlying frame fastener problem. The only way to know for sure is to remove the trim from around the sides running up the overhang. To do that pull the white plastic out of the center to expose the screws that hold it on. Remove the screws holding the fiberglass sheeting which exposes the fasteners holding the frames together. It should not take more than two to three hours. Put blankets down to protect the finish of the fiberglass skin. You don't have to completely remove it. Oh yes you may have to unscrew and remove the king pin shroud. At least you will be able to put it back together correct and tight.

RVFun4Us

Lou and Bette,

That is exactly what happened to my rig. Screws from inside box to outer shell. Some were not even installed. Others broken off and still others not bridging the gap between the box and outer shell. That is what my dealer will fix in April and Heartland has stepped up and said to get it fixed.

Bob

RVFun4Us

Update. Dealer fixed the separation today. Pulled everything together nice and tight with larger bolts instead of the wimpy screws. Will try to post before and after pics tomorrow.

Lou_and_Bette

Update. Dealer fixed the separation today. Pulled everything together nice and tight with larger bolts instead of the wimpy screws. Will try to post before and after pics tomorrow.

Did they just use the larger bolts from inside to outer shell?

RVFun4Us

Yes Lou, bolts from inside to outer shell. Will send some pics now.2016-02-24, RV Before Fix 3.jpg Before fix.

From outside corner looking in toward separation before fix:

2016-02-24, RV Before fix 6.jpg

After fix, where gap used to be, new bolts showing:

2016-04-21, RV Fix 2.jpg

Showing one of the bolts up close after fix:

2016-04-21, RV Fix.jpg

Now looking from outside corner in, sorry pic is on it's side:

2016-04-21, RV Fix 4.jpg

lynndiwagoner

Did you happen to take note of the size and length of the bigger screws? If so please post as I need to do this to my rig also. Thanks.

Lynn

RVFun4Us

Did you happen to take note of the size and length of the bigger screws? If so please post as I need to do this to my rig also. Thanks.

Lynn

No, I did not. Went to lunch and they were done when we got back. Not necessarily longer but bulkier. I know they drilled new holes for the larger bolt. Really pulled together nicely.