Setting up B&W Campanion to fit 3055RL Bighorn

StuartT

Hello folks. New to the forum and I have purchased a 2008 Bighorn 3055RL. Now I have to drive 425 miles to go pick it up. I have a B&W gooseneck in my 2007 1 ton Chevy diesel dually and I just recieved the B&W Campanion 5th wheel hitch. I would like to installed it before I leave for Albuquerque Friday morning.

If anyone can advise me on which holes to chose for the uprights (with the polyurethane bushings on the end) or give me some guidance on giving it an educated guess, I would be most grateful. I obviously don't have the fiver here to make that determination, but I can adjust them when I get there. Thanks.

Stuart
Prescott, AZ

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Start out with the middle position. Once you load the coach for a trip you can check the rig with a level to see if you need to raise or lower the hitch. the BIG thing is to have adequate clearance between the coach and the bed rails. 6" is optimum.

scottyb

Not sure about the Bighorn, but when I arrived with my B&W, installed using the middle position, it was just right. I never had to make any adjustments.

rick_debbie_gallant

I bought a used B&W. the fellow befor me had it set forward highest. Pulled okay but when I had it weighed the rear axel had several hundred lbs more than the front.

This summer I changed to the "middle, middle" position. Still have to have it weighed but it seemed better. I guess I am saying is try the middle/middle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StuartT

After I posted my question, I thought it would be helpful to call the dealer who has the Bighorn and have him measure the center of kingpin to the outside corners for me. With that I started the install and realized that I was not thinking about the fact that I have a roll bar/louvered shade behind the back window. That takes up another six inches so I selected the middle height and back position on the uprights. It is going to be close and I may have to remove the roll bar, which (wouldn't you know it) has the lip of the tool box bolted on top of the mounts.

Have to admit that I am impressed with the B&W Companion. It really looks stout.

mobilcastle

I have the Companion and like it, However the B&W Patriot allows for a much higher hitch setting. At the top setting on the Companion the height clearance from the bottom of the king pin mount to the top of the truck side rail just made it on my 2011 Chevy 3500 D/A . Chevy decided to raise the height of their side rails which causes the problem. You can get about 17" height out of the Companion and 19" out of the Patriot. The Patriot is only rated at 16K and does use bed rails. Your 2007 Chevy should not have this problem. Good luck

StuartT

Fortunately the 2007 Classic 3500 side rails cleared nicely. When I hooked up the Bighorn, I found I had more clearance than I needed and will move the uprights forward 6" to get it just right. I did notice some forward/rearward jerking on some sections of bad highway (not the hitches fault), but other than that, it worked smoothly.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Stuart, you need to replace the standard pinbox with something like a Mor/Ryde pin box to stop the "chucking". Write this # down. Your frame on the Horn is a 1621 HD Lippert frame. You will need to know this to get the correct pinbox. You will also need a pinbox rated at 14K for a 3055RL.

StuartT

Stuart, you need to replace the standard pinbox with something like a Mor/Ryde pin box to stop the "chucking". Write this # down. Your frame on the Horn is a 1621 HD Lippert frame. You will need to know this to get the correct pinbox. You will also need a pinbox rated at 14K for a 3055RL.

Thanks Bob. Information I need to know. I am gong to get right on this if that is the solution. I did not like the "chucking" and the "bucking" :).