Sewer Drain Tips needed

SCPOSWRET

Long story short, I need to temporarily run my black and gray drain line from my rig, 105 feet to my daughters back yard
to hook to her 4" pvc house clean out. I'm not sure that there is sufficient force even with a full tank to effectively push the contents
that far. If you disagree and think it will work, pls comment. If you disagree and have any tips or suggestions on a solution, that
would be appreciated. Much thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Consider using a macerator (link) and a long garden hose. The macerator will grind up anything in the gray water and provide pressure to pump the water the distance you need.

The above are just my thoughts - not based on experience.

LBR

I use the macerator pump a lot. On our property, we have a 150' run to the septic tank with about a 3' head rise uphill. I had a lot of PVC pipe and a place to store it when not in use, so 2 sections are 80' and 70' that I connect together for use.

It consists of 1" CL200 PVC pipe the whole run and I fashioned a simple adapter for the pump garden hose thread to PVC pipe (you can use garden hoses the full length if you wish).

That pump setup will empty our full 40 gallon black tank in less than 4 minutes with a full 1" flow at the end of 150' pipe...I was impressed!

One thing I recommend to anyone that needs to pump the black regularly is to use vessel drain screens......the pump will get hair twirled around the cutter and its kind of a pain to clear out. Since we have used the screens, it is a very minimal issue now. Of course, if everyone is bald, one shouldn't have any problems...lol.

danemayer

For long distance runs, the Macerator Pump people recommend using a 1-1/4" hose, rather than a garden hose. They sell pretty pricey 20' sections of hose. Check Amazon for better pricing.

SCPOSWRET

For long distance runs, the Macerator Pump people recommend using a 1-1/4" hose, rather than a garden hose. They sell pretty pricey 20' sections of hose. Check Amazon for better pricing.

Thank you one and all for your input. Very helpful. Thanks again.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Get the macerator. I have never had a problem pumping 150 feet through a garden hose.

Peace
Dave

SCPOSWRET

Get the macerator. I have never had a problem pumping 150 feet through a garden hose.

Peace
Dave

thanks to Dave and all. I'm on the macerator search and it looks like it's the way to go for this application.
believe it or not, it's not easy to find 1 1/4" hose/garden hose anywhere and I was surprised that I couldn't
find any on Amazon. I'll keep searching. If anyone has a link, that would be appreciated.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Dave

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
thanks to Dave and all. I'm on the macerator search and it looks like it's the way to go for this application.
believe it or not, it's not easy to find 1 1/4" hose/garden hose anywhere

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Dave
I just use the plain old 5/8" garden hose.
Cheap and I have a bunch of em around here.

Peace
Dave

hoefler

The winter we spent in our coach, I used a macerator and 220' of 1" PVC to pump to my inlaws for 9 months. I have also used 100' of 3/4" garden hose for my dad when he visited.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
If you want the larger diameter, buy swimming pool backwash hose instead of garden hose and use several reducing fittings to the pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

The pump suggest a 3/4" diameter hose. Second, I helped a neighbor using mine with a 1/2" 50' hose. You really need the 3/4" at a minimum. The pump did the job, but it was not ideal. He purchased a new one for himself and burnt out the motor by using under gauge wire to power the pump. I use ten gauge wire with mine. A new replacement pump, proper wiring, and a 3/4" hose it worked well. Longer then 50' I would go with a larger diameter hose.

porthole

Retired
I have used the pump for years.

My thoughts.

After an impeller failure I now always try pumping fresh water first, then some gray before doing the black tank.

I used to use the kit supplied 1" hose with proprietary connectors. After running over one of the hoses and causing leaks, I switched to a heavy duty 3/4" garden hose. The 3/4" hose works OK and I would not use anything smaller.

I changed the wires out to 8 gauge and use an industrial battery connector for power.

I have replaced the impeller twice.
The first time I did not know the impeller was bad until I tried to use the pump. That was a setback, full tanks and no pump out.

I now keep a spare impeller.

The last time I used the pump I started to get a small leak between the motor and the pump housings. The small lip seal is deformed.
When I found the seal online I found a lot of 5 kits for $7 (evilbay)

I plan on making up a short hose 15' or so, for locations with no pump out. We will be going to a State Park in September for a HL campout and there are no facilities, so I will be bringing along a 32 gallon Barker tote to keep in the truck - just in case........

Having the pump opens up some possibilities to overcome the limited storage we have.

- - - Updated - - -

From the looks of the picture, this hose does not look to be a smooth wall hose. I would not use it. Too much friction and too many places for debris to sit and ferment.