Sewer Gas

2013 Landmark Key Largo. Have a major sewer gas problem. Used to be only a real problem when we flushed the toilet. This weekend when we opened up the doors to the basement it was unbearable. Had the AC units running all weekend. No smell under the vanity or kitchen sink. I read all of the other issues about this and I am puzzled because of the overwhelming smell in the basement. A visual look at the piping in the belly provided no solution. Fuel for thought: we are stationary on our property and have a pump out service come to empty the tanks. Not sure if the suction of that has anything to do with this.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Try looking at the tops of the tanks, where the plumbing enters for any looseness or cracking. Excessive suction may have broken the joints. Check your battery, too. An overheating battery (low water, high charging) can release gas that smells like sewage.

A dead rodent, hidden in the bowels of the rig, can also produce a nasty aroma.

Thanks JohnDar. I need to get a better look at the pipes going into the tanks. There is no leakage I can see. It must be a sewer gas leak that is pretty big to accumulate the stench in the underbody.

Capt7383

If you can check the top of your belly pan (coroplast) . We had the same and it turned out to be a leaky black tank on a four month old unit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

need to get back into basement to look closer. Seems to be a quality control issue with this unit. Nothing but issues for 3 years! Thanks Capt

Wanted to check a few things on my rig after reading all of the forum posts related to sewer gas. Everything was fine. So I began to make sure there was enough water in the tank. I put about 5 bowl fills of water in. Almost immediately we smelled the raunch of sewer. I got into the basement only to find that the sewer pipe going into the tank was never glued and was leaking into the belly of the coach. I called roto rooter (as we are on a piece of property in the country with no facilities) to come and pump out the tank. After pumping out and flushing the tank as well as shop vacuuming the liquid in the underbelly the smell subsided. Now, it is time to hitch up and bring this beast to a dealer to sanitize the underbelly and fix Heartlands lack of quality control. Never assume the job was done correctly. We have found this to be one of the worst 5th wheels we ever owned in terms of quality. Thanks for all of your input. Remember, never assume that the job was done right.