Sewer Odors

jimtoo

Hi krknowl,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you look under the sink you should see or find an air admittance valve (Studer Valve) like the one in this post #9. It is there to allow air into the tank and keep water in the P trap. Sometimes they leak and to check you could wrap it with something or cover it with a baggy and rubber band. Then see if it stops the smell.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Ok, I have a half bathroom in my Gateway 3700 that has a smell coming from it. We have never used the toilet or sink and we Know the kitchen sink drains into that back tank. I have placed deodorizer down the drain, it stays closed until I am ready to empty, but still get bad odor. HELP!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There are a couple of things I would look at in that half bath.
Since you said it doesn't get used be sure there is water in the toilet bowl and P-trap of the sink.
Then look below the sink and there should be an air admittance valve plumbed into the drain pipe. Cover that valve with a baggie and secure it with a rubber band to seal it. Then see if the odor goes away. If it does then you will need to replace that air admittance valve.
They are commonly called a Studor Valve and can be purchased at most building centers for under $10.
It should look something like this.
images

Peace
Dave