Shakedown Long Distance Cruise - Awesome!

rgwilliams69

Just completed a 2500 mile round trip journey from Illinois to Florida and back to attend Winter Nationals Race Week in Tampa, FL. Pulling the rig with my F350 CC DRW we were a almost 28,000 pounds combined on the last downward leg with full fuel, full water, golf cart, and full gear. Truck pulled like a beast and the 4100 King rode smooth and swift. Averaged 65-70 MPH and over the whole trip burned through enough diesel to put us at an average of 9.6 MPG for the entire trip. Because of the weather at home we de-winterized in Alabama on the way down, then had to re-winterize in Tennessee on the way back. All systems performed flawlessly. Ran the Onan 5500 through a couple of 30 gallon tank fulls at the track (no hookups so we were on our own with electricity, water, and sewer the entire week). The 100 gallons of water lasted us all week and we didn't have to dump until we were on the way back home. EZ-GO cart rode very well in the garage. We are VERY pleased with our 4100 King and VERY pleased with the 2012 F350 TV. Just couldn't ask for a better combination. AT 9.6 MPG I was glad I went ahead and put in the Titan 65 tank before we left, made it easy to just fill up on overnight stops. Only add will be the Ride Rite airbags as the sag when fully loaded was a little more than I like to see, but probably just a visual thing as performance was not impacted at all. Pulled into some heavy winds at times and no impact there either, except a slight drop in MPG. Also got to exercise up and over Monteagle, TN "mountain" (well, sort of, at only 2000 ft elevation) but at least I got to see how we climbed at 5% grade and how we engine braked at 5% down. No worries there at all, easily maintained 50 MPH in 5th gear.

A very comfortable week in our coach with high temps in Tampa at 85 degrees and lows the last night in the lower 20s. Stayed cool and warm as we wanted, no worries.

Great job Heartland on building a quality Toy Hauler with tons of room, functionality, and great fit/finish. We have absolutely zero complaints on our first long distance trip. As we average 12,000 miles plus a year that is just the first of many long hauls for us to the race tracks.

Also for those of you I have corresponded with on the "Blowmax" tires, on general principle I refused to replace brand new tires and took them on the road. Kept them at 80 psi and checked the lugs often. No worries and no problems with the tires at all. I will keep a close eye on them and probably after this year will go to Maxxis - but I plan to get at least 13,000 miles out of the boogers before I scrap them. I guess we will see. I'm in the insurance business and know that my policy will cover me 100% if I have an issue. I suppose we will see if I join the Blowmax club. If so I'll take pictures and jump on the complaint bandwagon, but for now I'm going to get some use out of them.

Here is a pic of our set up in Tampa, FL at the race track:

IMG_6316.jpg

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Sound like you have a great combination which looks fantastic. Haven't seen the 4100 King yet but can't wait. Enjoy and travel safely.

oscar

We're about to do something similar. Towed the new trailer back from Troy OH last week (526 miles, no problem) , and March 5 we leave with it for Mississippi, then on to Orlando FL, then up the east coast back home. It will be a three week 3000 mile shakedown cruise! It's been sitting in the driveway by the house getting all set up. So far so good. I'll bring the tools but I feel confident that it will all work just fine. The dealership checked this thing out front to back and again.....

rgwilliams69

Good luck on your trip Oscar - I'm sure it will be a great one! Wish I was still in Florida but alas, back to work...

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
Congrats on the first trip out, and thank you for choosing the Cyclone KING as your toy hauler. Enjoy, have fun and thank you for joining the Heartland family!!!

FiremanBill

Sweet! We just got our new 3110 a couple weeks ago. Really looking forward to our 1400 mile round trip to Georgia in April. Thanks for the good trip report!

We have done a couple of weekend trips. We are planning a 3 week 5000 mile trip in May. Looking forward to spending time on the road and visiting friends and family along the way. We will be going through Canada from Detriot to Buffalo. We will be taking our dogs and harleys with us. Should be a blast. Any items we need to be aware of while travelling in Canada would be appreciated!