Shore Power

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Our trailer has the shore connections on the back of the trailer. Neither one of us understands why this is and we do not like the placement. I am thinking of adding another connection mid ship where I think it should be. My plan was to run both into a transfer switch so one does not charge the other when plugged in, and then go into a surge protector and then the coach. Has anyone done this? Is my plan solid or am I missing something?

danemayer

A transfer switch would be the right approach to ensure the unused receptacle isn't live.

Seems like quite a bit of work. What's the attraction of a mid ship location?

Garypowell

You can put in a transfer switch if you like. And maybe from a safety standpoint it might be best because if you simply tie the two inputs together the other one will be HOT whenever you are plugged in.

But if there are no children involved and you feel you could secure the other inlet so no one would poke their fingers in.....it might not be needed.

The only other suggestions I would have would be:

1. make this a manual transfer. Easier and less costly to set up since you don't need the automation if you had a generator.

2. Don't know your rig but depending on the location of the breaker box in the rig, you could simply relocate the line from where it is to where you want it. Might involve dropping the bottom to pull the existing wire back through the frame.....but just a thought.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Ours is the same way . . . as was the Trail Runner.

Yet most campgrounds have the electrical post somewhere near the middle of the trailer.

I've gotten into the habit of making sure the electrical plug reaches the pedistal before I unhook the trailer from the truck.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yet most campgrounds have the electrical post somewhere near the middle of the trailer.
I've gotten into the habit of making sure the electrical plug reaches the pedistal before I unhook the trailer from the truck.
I carry an extension cord, so that is not a concern.
You might think about getting one for your rig. They do come in handy now and then.

Peace
Dave

sengli

I think their thinking is that most campsite power posts are near the drivers side, rear of the axles, so maybe when built this is logical to place the power input near there. Our elkridge had its power input in the rear wall as well. One thing I did, that was easy, was to go to a 30 amp cord set up, when not using both AC units( which for us is 99% of the time). It was less than half the weight, and stiffness as the supplied 50 AMP cord. So this made it much easier to slog that cord around as needed.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I carry an extension cord, so that is not a concern.
You might think about getting one for your rig. They do come in handy now and then.

Peace
Dave

I do have one . . . I just don't like to use it unless I really need it.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
We were thinking back and also looking at pictures of some of our camp sites and it just seems like all hookups are in about the same area, mid-ship. I also have the thought that parking as far back as possible would not always be an option if that big heavy cord did not reach. A mid-ship connection would take some hook up challenges out of the picture.

Gaffer

Here is a link to a manual transfer switch: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Reliance...-Generator-Transfer-Switch-TCA0606D/202216483
You can put in a transfer switch if you like. And maybe from a safety standpoint it might be best because if you simply tie the two inputs together the other one will be HOT whenever you are plugged in.

But if there are no children involved and you feel you could secure the other inlet so no one would poke their fingers in.....it might not be needed.

The only other suggestions I would have would be:

1. make this a manual transfer. Easier and less costly to set up since you don't need the automation if you had a generator.

2. Don't know your rig but depending on the location of the breaker box in the rig, you could simply relocate the line from where it is to where you want it. Might involve dropping the bottom to pull the existing wire back through the frame.....but just a thought.

wdk450

Ours is the same way . . . as was the Trail Runner.

I have mentally noted how far forward on the side of the trailer the power cord will reach from the rear inlet. It is to the water heater for my rig. I check this versus the park's utilities pedestal placement before I complete parking and manual leveling. I also immediately connect power after manual leveling to let the power converter help the batteries lift the trailer off of the 5th wheel hitch.

pegmikef

I have the power reel cable system and it is installed in the rear very close to the end of the trailer, but I have never had a problem. The cable is 34 feet long and my BH is just under 35 so as long as the pedestal is somewhere between the two ends of the trailer I'm good. I have, however, stayed in some parks/resorts where they enforce the location of the front of the rig in relation to neighboring rigs ( South Section at Goshen, Ruidoso, NM and two resorts in Mesa, AZ come to mind) and the pedestal has been to the rear of the rig where shorter cables from the mid-section might not reach all the way to the pedestal.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I get what you are saying about the pedestal location which is why I am trying to come up with a solution to keep the rear power receptacle active too.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My 2 cents... This sounds like a fun Mod project.
If you really want power in both locations and, If I were doing it, I would install a 50amp transfer switch and 1- (50 Amp 125V 250 Power Cord Twist Electrical Lock) Bulkheads in each location. Then use a (25-foot-50-amp-RV-Power-Cord-Detachable-Cable-with-Marinco-Twist-Lock) Then you could have it all with no worry's.
marinco-receptacle-power-inlet-1.JPG50amp cord.JPG

Attachments

• 50amp cord.JPG
    50amp cord.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 14