Short Bed

DScopano

We just purchased a Bighorn 3275FB. I am wonder if anyone pulls their large fifth wheel with a short bed truck? If so do I need a slider hitch? I am looking at a Dodge 3500 Mega cab, short bed.

jimtoo

Hi DScopano,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Yes, you can tow with a short bed truck and lots of folks do. That is one of the big selling points for Heartland, 88* turning. Now, if you are in a pretty unlevel position you could have a problem. I'm sure you will get lots of comments from our other members.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

GregP

We tow our BH 3010RE with a Ram 2500HD Crew Cab. It has a 6.5' box and we have a standard (non-slider) hitch. Although the BH has an 88 degree turning angle, we have made contact on a couple of occasions with the hardware on our trip-fold tonneau cover as a result of unlevel ground/ backing combo. Resulting scratches on front cap are not serious, but not pretty either. I could fix problem either by removing tonneau cover, or getting slider hitch. The tonneau cover is handy when not towing, so we will probably replace hitch with slider. I think one of the previous posters said the Mega Cab is less than 6.5'. If that is the case, the problem would be more serious.

Oregon_Camper

Look if the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder will work for your truck. It is a GREAT solution that moves the trailers pivot point back. No need to ever get out and engage a slider. Plus, you get a lot more storage space in the bed of your truck. I LOVE ours....wouldn't consider any other solution for a short bed truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U

MTPockets

The Ford short box is 6'9"... We had no issues with that, but traded for the Dually for greater payload. With the SRW you will be close to max if not over.

Last edited:

Bones

Look if the Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder will work for your truck. It is a GREAT solution that moves the trailers pivot point back. No need to ever get out and engage a slider. Plus, you get a lot more storage space in the bed of your truck. I LOVE ours....wouldn't consider any other solution for a short bed truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkL0CPmqx6U
Hey Oregon Camper can you rotate yours yet. You have another season under the belt with it.

GregP

Does moving the pivot point back on the TV change the weight distribution at all or does it remain the same as a regular hitch? Does it increase the weight on the rear axle of the TV and reduce it on the front end?

Bones

Does moving the pivot point back on the TV change the weight distribution at all or does it remain the same as a regular hitch? Does it increase the weight on the rear axle of the TV and reduce it on the front end?
Nope. None of that. That is why it is awesome. All it changes is the pivot. The weight still sits on the fifth wheel where the king pin locks into place.

Oregon_Camper

..(from e-trailer site)
Expert Reply:
Use of the Sidewinder Fifth Wheel King Pin, part # ST500-SW19K, in your short-bed F-250 will result in better trailer-to-cab clearance for tight turns and closer tracking of the trailer to the tow vehicle. There will not be any change to the trailer weight distribution relative to the tow vehicle. The sidewinder moves the pivot point but has no effect on the trailer pin weight. Pin weight is still transferred to the tow vehicle through the king pin, which remains in the same location relative to the truck.

Miltp920

I have a short bed GMC crew cab. I have a pullrite slider hitch and love it. I have read that even though the 88 degrees turning radius is supposed to make everything OK with a short bed truck, I have read that some still like the extra insurance of the slider increasing the gap to the cab. I know I tow mine without any concerns since I have the slider hitch.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I also have a slider (Reese 16K Pro) . . .

Have not had to use it yet . . . but if I do need it, I'll have it!

NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg

Our Prowler has the 88-degree turning radius feature, but it still can get pretty close to the back window in tight spots.

texasron

We have a 2015 Bighorn, 2012 Ford F250 King Ranch, we have had our Pullrite slider hitch with several 5h wheels. You can be assured you won't have that concern with these hitches.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
GregP, the hitch should mount in the normal position. Just the head and sliding rails move back. And yes it would make difference if you mounted the hitch too far back.

I pull my Cyclone 3110 with a short bed 2500hd and have made contact a few times backing into sites after dark. I use a goose ball setup with a Reese Goosebox.
If you haven't bought your new T.V. yet buy a long box.
IMHO
Adam

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

I have a F-350 crew cab with a short bed. I use the ultra glide hitch. Not only do I like the slider part, but there is an adjustable flange which will all but eliminate any chucking going down the road.

nfa1eab

I have a 2015 Road Warrior 305RW and a 2015 Ford F250 4x4 SRW short bed with Firestone Ride Rite air bags. Went initially with a 5th Airborne Sidewinder pin box. Would not work as it lowers the pin 4" - 6" below the stock Lippert 1621HD mounted height. It gave additional turning clearance but caused huge drive-ability issues with the trailer being too nose high. With a Reese 18k Elite hitch in the lowest position the front of the trailer was over 8" higher than the back. There was no way to raise the unit up to the highest mounting holes on the mount as it would have interfered with the rotation of the bottom of the sidewinder. It also caused terrible porpoising compared to the stock pin box. I towed with this setup for 1,500 miles and forced the dealership to take it back. I re-installed the 1621hd, leveled the trailer, and eliminated the ill-handling problems. Reese engineering blamed the new Ford truck for being too high in the back. I believe their product was designed for older vehicles, which were lower in back. Time to step up Reese and re-design your product for the current crop of tow vehicles. Until they do, I will pass. Very happy with the stock pin box and set up. I think the Ride Rites eliminated the need for the cushioned pin box. The combination of Sidewinder moving the trailer back further, along with the air bags and 5th airborne, compounded the porpoising problem and made an ill handling, dangerous combination.

Oregon_Camper

........... The combination of Sidewinder moving the trailer back further, along with the air bags and 5th airborne, compounded the porpoising problem and made an ill handling, dangerous combination.

Respect your input, but I have a 2016 F-350 DRW and the Reese Airborne Sidewinder pulls my 3160EL like a DREAM. Trailer is spot on level and I have never experienced any porpoising while towing. Wonder if you have too much weight in the back of your toy-hauler, resulting in an incorrect pin weight.

Just back in July you even commented on this forum how great the Airborne was...what changed?

.....combination of the 2015 F250 Diesel, Reese Elite 18k hitch, and Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder Pin box worked fantastic. Rig towed like a dream. The Pin box made for a really smooth and stable ride, and no jarring movements. Could not be happier.