Shortbed with gooseneck hitch.

I am looking at buying a Ford f-250 with a gooseneck hitch, I have a 2009 cyclone 3210. Can I use the gooseneck hitch or do I run the risk of hitting the cab while turning?

danemayer

If you use a gooseneck hitch, you also need a pin box that will manage the gooseneck without putting excess stress on the trailer frame. Reese Goosebox for example.

Also, the payload spec on an F-250 is probably way too low for a Cyclone. Assume 20% of the trailer GVWR will be on the hitch. Add to that the weight of the hitch, bed liner, bed cover, tools, firewood, pets, passengers and anything else in the truck. Compare that number to the actual payload spec of the exact truck under consideration.

richheck

Seasoned Member
What brand of hitch/receiver do you have in your truck, if it is a B&W Turnover brand, they make a set back ball (4 inchif I remember) if you are uncomfortable with your present setup. Usually shorted Fords can squeeze by, Chevys will hit the cab.

Ryno0660

Hi. I tow a elkridge 37 ulta with a goosebox and shortbed ford. It has the *88 degree front cap. Can go 90 degree no problem. Still 6" clearance. Tows fine. Then have a clean bed once unhooked.

caissiel

With the flex of my pin box I would not get out of the drive with a goose neck.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

Matts1122

I have a heartland edge and just a Reese hitch and never had any problems. Have a friend that had an older camper and did deny his 250 with it. Depends on the design of the front of the camper from what I have seen.my hitch is a fifth she's not a gooseneck not sure how much difference that makes. But do know people with goosenecks that haven't had any problems neither.

mlpeloquin

The truck has added suspension. So will the cyclone cap hit cab during a turn in a short bed ford f-250?

It doesn't matter what has been done or changed on the suspension. The weight ratings from the manufacture cannot be exceeded.

Matts1122

It doesn't matter what has been done or changed on the suspension. The weight ratings from the manufacture cannot be exceeded.

I see many people doing it but 3/4 tons are generally rated for roughly 1800-2200 lbs of hitch weight. The big toy haulers are 3500 lbs.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I agree with the others that for a Cyclone . . . you'll need a bigger truck!

I tow a much lighter 5th-wheel trailer with my Chevy Silverado 2500HD (and a gas engine to boot!), however I went with a slider hitch with the shortbox.

Pulls our Prowler up and down the mountains without any problems . . .

ProwlerPigtail-P1000474.jpg NewReeseSliderHitch-P1000052.jpg ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg