shot gun

Lynn1130

People get confused with the term probably cause. There is also "founded suspicion" (aka reasonable suspicion) which although not to the level of probable cause, can lead to being detained and questioned further.

The bottom line to all of this is just having a shotgun in the trailer, and tooling down the road will not get you searched. And unless you have done something really over the line the officer will not being looking for PC or founded suspicion to detain and search. Don't worry about it.

kdw61

Lots of questions about probable cause, but most of this is nothing to worry about. If you are transporting a firearm through any state, then Federal Law U.S.C.A 926A applies. This basically says that you can transport any weapon legal for you to own in your home state, through any other state, as long as it is not in the drivers compartment and is unloaded. So a trunk or trailer is OK. If in a motorhome, keep it in a locked case in the rear of the vehicle. This is good even in New Jersey. See http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/about/fire_trans.html to read about it.

porthole

Retired
And to add confusion - New Jersey.

Just an FYI as to the type of shotgun that is allowed to the average citizen

pump shot gun OK
pump with a pistol grip shot gun OK
autoloading shot gun OK

autoloading shotgun with a pistol grip - taboo - don't get caught. Same goes with an adjustable of folding stock.

Jim.Allison

Now which states have dogs that sniff for guns?

As for Texas, you can put that loaded shotgun or 30-06 on your dashboard if you want, and a dog can sniff it all he wants. LOL. You can even carry that loaded pistol in your glove box. Oh no, now get the popcorn, here comes trouble.

Lynn1130

It's pretty hard to "secure" people when there are 12 or more of them and only 5 or so LEO and a major brawl is on going. Don't make judgement's in these cases, from video when you were not there, did not see the entire incident and are not an expert in LE tactics. This incident was several years ago and there is much more to it than you see in the video. I have been in a few of these, usually at bars and trying to "secure" someone when every LEO is engaged in just trying to keep from getting is AXX kicked by a larger force is near impossible.

It really does get my blood boiling when non-LEO and non participants start judging those at the scene. In this case one officer was shot and one suspect died.

Just watch some of the videos where 3 or 4 officers are trying to get cuffs on someone who does not want to comply.

Rooster58

It's pretty hard to "secure" people when there are 12 or more of them and only 5 or so LEO and a major brawl is on going. Don't make judgement's in these cases, from video when you were not there, did not see the entire incident and are not an expert in LE tactics. This incident was several years ago and there is much more to it than you see in the video. I have been in a few of these, usually at bars and trying to "secure" someone when every LEO is engaged in just trying to keep from getting is AXX kicked by a larger force is near impossible.

It really does get my blood boiling when non-LEO and non participants start judging those at the scene. In this case one officer was shot and one suspect died.

Just watch some of the videos where 3 or 4 officers are trying to get cuffs on someone who does not want to comply.

Did not mean to get your blood boiling. I too have been in those situations and criticized by superiors along with the other officers on scene. It made us all better. Being judged isn't always a bad thing. Even by others that weren't on scene. A post incident debriefing can be a great tool to improve skills and tactics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

I was the supervisor in these as well as the Chief in charge of the investigations of those incidents and my advice always was, and always is. Keep your mouth shut if you were not there. Let the use of force investigators do their job and make recommendations. We all have opinions and without facts they are just that, opinions, and nothing more. Many time inaccurate!

Out of school criticizing NEVER makes things better. It only make those involved feel like they are being second guessed by people who were not there in the fight and have no clue about what really happened. If you want to see that in action, read Joseph Wambaugh's "Onion Fields". Probably the best example I can think of of people criticizing officers at the scene when those criticizing had no clue.

Being judged isn't always a bad thing.
It is if the people judging were not there, did not investigate the incident and are just adding their judgement because they think they could have done it better.

Debriefs are a good thing as long as the people involved are doing the debriefing and the tactics experts are adding their views to it. My complaint is with those that have no dog in the fight and just want to show everyone how macho they are by telling us all what "they would have done". Some of those flunked the "fight or flight" when it came their turn.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I could never be a LEO. Hard enough putting up with the "what took you so long" buttholes at fire scenes. Situation like that would result in night stick enemas for some civilians.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lynn1130

Sometimes I could understand the "bad attitude" of some of the people that we have to "meet" but I could never understand that kind of attitude with firefighters. So we just came to save your house and you are being a butt about it?

pegmikef

That's a good question.
But another question to come up is if you don't advertise there is a gun in your rig, who's to know but you?
If you haven't already, I suggest some classes along with obtaining a concealed permit or permits.

Peace
Dave

Dave, I know this is old, but it has popped up again. The problem with your theory is that in some states (Texas for one), your handgun license is associated with your drivers license and this is associated with your tags. They run the tag, they know you are licensed to carry and I am sure this could cause extra and more scrutiny. In particular, I have in mind New York state. This being said, one still should not advertise the fact that is or is not one or more weapons in the rig.

Dave, I know this is old, but it has popped up again. The problem with your theory is that in some states (Texas for one), your handgun license is associated with your drivers license and this is associated with your tags. They run the tag, they know you are licensed to carry and I am sure this could cause extra and more scrutiny. In particular, I have in mind New York state. This being said, one still should not advertise the fact that is or is not one or more weapons in the rig.
Even older yet but...
Texas is a constitutional carry state now.
Castle Law extends to your vehicles here. Meaning, Carjacking/burglary while occupied is same as home invasion.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk