Should I keep trailer plugged in?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Rallen, welcome to the forum. This is a great place to share information.
If you can, I would leave the rig plugged in when not in use. This will keep the battery charged.
Just be sure to keep an eye on the electrolyte level in the battery.
If you elect to not plug it in then I would recommend a battery cut off switch or disconnect the neutral battery cable.
There is always some parasitic draw on the battery, like the LP alarm.
Mine is always plugged in.

Peace
Dave

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We have done both, sometimes plugged in and sometime not. During camping season, yes. During the winter, no. In the winter time, we take the battery out of the coach.

sjs731

X2 for NABO's response.

Steve and Carrie
HOC #2252
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have kept ours plugged in since we bought ours in 2006 , no problems. I got almost 6 years of life out of the original battery and believe it helps......Kenny

evolvingpowercat

If you don't plug in, the propane detector, the Jensen radio, refrigerator control panel will slowly drain your battery, on my Edge with two parallel 12V batteries I can go about 2 weeks unplugged. It is best if you keep your batteries at least 50% charged to maximize their life. Also at least once a year buy a jug of distilled water and make sure all your battery cells are full. If you have batteries outside like it is on my Edge, that is also a good time to check the plastic battery boxes to see how much water has built up in the bottom of them and dispose of it. The water may have some acid in it so be sure to not get on skin and flush down the drain with lots of water and don't dump the battery box water on any grass or plants you don't want killed.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Mine gets plugged in in early May and unplugged the end of September. We leave the fridge on during that period, too. Only shut off the water and propane when we're not at the rig. During the winter, I pull the battery out and keep it at home. I give it a charge up once or twice at home.