Should I worry about this crack???

bigd_rock

I was going to post a picture but i guess im not allowed? bought a used 2009 Cyclone 3914. there is a crack in the corner of the fiberglass on the fifth wheel skirting. The fiberglass that goes down from the pin and curves down to the access door for the generator and batteries. Its cracked in the corner and a friend of mine told me not to worry its somewhat common. But i noticed when im not level there as a piece of fake wood in the bedroom right along the bed where you head would go when sleeping. there is a little access hole for a cellphone or alarm clock and that wood gets all deformed when im not level, it keeps poping the moulding off the the wall where the access panel is. thinking the two are not related, or hoping theyre not. any ideas??

danemayer

The fiberglass that goes down from the pin and curves down to the access door for the generator and batteries. Its cracked in the corner
On the frame issues I've read about on the forum, cracks are typically on the sidewalls. If this is the filion under the pin and around the front storage, maybe it's from something else.

But it should be investigated.

Lance & Jo

Cracks like you describe were the first to appear when the frame in our trailer broke. I suggest you take pictures of the affected areas while both hitched up with weight on the pin box and unhitched then call Heartland customer service for their opinion (be prepared to e mail the pictures).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Yes, I would be concerned. I would call HL and have your VIN# handy. Your only issue will be that you are the 2nd owner and the frame only had a 1 year warranty. HL has been very good helping with frame issues even being out of warranty. But that was with the original owners and most of the time they had to take it the factory to be repaired. You might also call your dealer and ask for help. If it was sold to you this way and they knew it, then its a safety concern and they might be libel for the repairs. This would depend on Canadian laws on used vehicles. JMHO

Mark-Mullin

I agree the dealer you got it from registered the trailer in your name and supposedly
gave it a clean safety certifacate at the motor veciule licensing bureau. If you can"t
get any satisfaction from the dealer I would threaten them with DOT rules for licensing.
I believe you have like a month or so for safety concerns but not sure.

bigd_rock

Thanks for all the input, I wont sleep for weeks now after spending alot of cash on a used fifth wheel that potentially has a broken frame. It was bought private too. Maybe i should cut my losses and try and flip it quickly. Doesnt sound cheap and even if the factory offers to repair its 1900Miles from me. Kinda SOL

bigd_rock

I was doing some research and my crack is in the corner of the "filon" new word of the day. No cracking on anything exterior on the side walls though, Just seems like lots of flex. Maybe im worrying to much but this is my first used RV always had new. Bad experience right from the start, Indiana transport hauled the unit to my house and ripped off the rear jacks, crumpled in the right rear corner and ruined the floor in the garage because they didnt tie down the fifth wheel hitch that was back there, or the bar stools, They didnt survive either. Sounds like theyre going to repair it but still a large inconvenience. And now this :(. Ill send HL some pictures and try to get a better idea what might be going on. Sounds like most people on the forum have had a positive experience with customer service

bigd_rock

Here is a picture of the crack. The original owner says he had it repaired once under warranty but the second time it happened they wouldnt warranty it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 253

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Take a measurement from the bottom of the front cap to the top of the pin box when hitched up and then do the same when unhitched.
This is something that will help Heartland when you make the call.
There are three things that typically show up when you have cracked welds:

•Flex at the pin box
•Separation of cabinetry from walls in front closet
•Cracked sidewall

Peace
Dave

jnbhobe

Take a measurement from the bottom of the front cap to the top of the pin box when hitched up and then do the same when unhitched.
This is something that will help Heartland when you make the call.
There are three things that typically show up when you have cracked welds:

•Flex at the pin box
•Separation of cabinetry from walls in front closet
•Cracked sidewall

Peace
Dave

One other thing is you will see a separation of the caulking at the trim on the overhang under the bedroom slideout when you are hooked up and it will come back together when you unhook.

Bob&Patty

To help to put your mind at ease.....call HL with your VIN# in hand and ask them what repairs were done for the 1st owner. Then report back here with what you find out.

Bob&Patty

You say no warranty. Did they mean that you do not have any warranty. Well yes that is true....2nd owner and being 4-5 years old. But, did you ask what was repaired by the 1st owner while still in warranty. If not, why??

Remove the filon on that side and look behind it. maybe there is screw behind that area and causing pressure on the filon cover. Maybe the screws were tighten too much in that upper corner causing the cover to crack. On any 5er there is alot of flexing in that area when moving down the road and flexing is normal.

bigd_rock

You say no warranty. Did they mean that you do not have any warranty. Well yes that is true....2nd owner and being 4-5 years old. But, did you ask what was repaired by the 1st owner while still in warranty. If not, why??

Remove the filon on that side and look behind it. maybe there is screw behind that area and causing pressure on the filon cover. Maybe the screws were tighten too much in that upper corner causing the cover to crack. On any 5er there is alot of flexing in that area when moving down the road and flexing is normal.

They had nothing on file from previous repairs. I also called the original dealer and they had no info on it regarding that issue. I may have been lied to. I'm not going to worry to much about it and concentrate on the rotting wood under my bedroom slide and the water leaking in from my dinette slide