Should we be concerned and do a warranty claim?

GETnBYE

Hoping there is an easy fix. Not sure. We have had slide awnings in the past and they always covered to the edge of the slideout, as is their purpose, or for me it is.

Our L/R slide awning appears to be to short. I noticed this due to 2 very rainy days in the camper.
attaching some pics, as much as I could get in the rain. I plan to look with more detail in the dry asap.
notice the rain running down the sides and into the window frame. I have video, if I figure out how to add that I will later.

**this was not just when the awning got full and dumped, it was constant, actually the outdoor pics were when the rain let up and I could take pics without getting my iPad wet.
image.jpgimage.jpg Video

ok, I found theses photos that we took of the patio awning because it was loose on the edges. We were not paying attention to the slide awning brackets at the time, now after the rain I went back looking at theses pictures. The one on the back has a bar on the bracket and is plainly out much more than the front one. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Why these are upside down , I have no clue. Sorry.

Last edited:

'Lil Guy'

I have never had them and don't want them but I have a question. I thought they were designed to keep debris off the roof of the slide, not to keep water off of the window. I don't think I've seen any that overhang the edge of the slide. Can someone enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance.

GETnBYE

I have never had them and don't want them but I have a question. I thought they were designed to keep debris off the roof of the slide, not to keep water off of the window. I don't think I've seen any that overhang the edge of the slide. Can someone enlighten me on this. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps not meant to keep water off side windows, but they sure arent meant to collect all of the rain and continually pour it into one spot down the window into the window seal. Im just going by how or performed on our last unit.

Bones

our big slide awning collects water but it is longer than the slide and dumps the water out the side but not on the slide.

guyc66

The slide toppers on our Landmark extend about 1 inch past the edges of the slides so most of the rain water pours off onto the ground and not on the slide walls. However, depending on the wind it sometimes will pour off on the slide walls and windows.

danemayer

If it is just not centered, is this a fix we can do on our own? By that, I mean a one man job.

It's possible, but it's a tough one man job. You have to get on a ladder, unroll the awning against the spring tension (which takes a fair amount of hand and wrist strength), then when completely unrolled, pin the roller so it doesn't move while positioning the fabric. The bead that slides into the bracket on the side wall is held in place by one, maybe two screws that have to be removed to reposition the fabric. If your fabric has moved, the screw(s) may be missing.

I've done it by myself, but it would have been much easier having a 2nd person on a 2nd ladder to help with the roller and to move the fabric.

Here's a video on replacing the fabric that illustrates what's involved.

weekender01

Based upon your picture and video it appears that the slide topper does not extend far enough out over the slide. Most likely this is due to the location of the slide in conjunction with your awning arm. If I were a betting person I would say that you may not be able to extend the topper out any further due to the awning arm. with the slide closed how close is the awning arm and the slide topper bracket? Check that next time you have it all closed up.

As for a final solution I am not sure there is one due to the configuration of the camper. Heartland should be able to advise better though.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
How far does the awning extend over the edge of the other side of that slide?

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
If it is just not centered, is this a fix we can do on our own? By that, I mean a one man job.

Yes you can loosen the set screw(s) and move it over the n tighten the set screws. Not hard but might take two people.

GETnBYE

Thanks everyone. It appears more pictures are needed. I will check the positioning and also check to see if the park on awning arm is a factor. I'm thinking we can't fix this ourselves, but hoping it is a minor fix.

All in all, a few adjustment issues , awnings and an interior door is all the bugs we are finding. I'm good with that.

Now, the hard part...finding a decent repair dealer.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
When are we going to see some pictures of this NEW Coach that we knew about but have not seen!

Crumgater

I tried to find pictures of our toppers, but nothing really shows our overhang amount... I will say, that after pulling in the bedroom slide in the midst of a DOWNPOUR (a few weeks ago in Seattle... 2-3" of rain accumulation that day) - I ran my hand over the top of the slide after it came in - and it was DRY.

We dump a lot of water off the tops when we pull the slides in, too. I would not be without slide-toppers around here. The pine needles get into everything, and before slide-toppers, our carpets would be wet after a good rain (we put them on DIY the second year we had the ElkRidge), with slide-toppers.... all dry.

Tundra2084

Because of the awning arm being so close to the slide when we had our slide toppers installed, we had to slightly off set the slide closest to the door. Had they moved the door further forward just another 4 inches, installation of the toppers would have been no problem. Because we wanted the toppers we had to move the hardware as close to the framing of the slide as we could in order to keep it away from the awning arm. You really can't notice that the fabric is at the very edge of the top of the inner slide wall, until you have rain and the water runs down the side window. We wouldn't be without them because they do help keep water and debris off the slide, making it easier to keep it out of the RV. From the look of your pictures I would bet you have the same situation and it was the only solution in order to install the slide toppers.