Shower Door Handles Have Come Off

mountainlovers76

Mississippi Chapter Leaders
We have a new 2014 Key Largo and after just three trips both of the shower door handles have fallen off. The shower door is the three piece sliding glass panels with a metal handle on each end. The handles are (were) attached to the glass by some type of thin black rubber material. Has anyone had this happen and if so what did you use to reattach the handle to the glass?

Ricky

JanAndBill

Unfortunately we did. Go to any of the big box hardware stores, or Walmart and get a tube of RV Goop. Glue the little rubber pieces to the glass door, put a little more on the outside of rubber and push the handles on. Ours haven't come off since, and I've found a lot of other uses for the stuff. It now has a permanent place next to the duct tape, wire, and zip ties.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Same door here, but no issues yet. Maybe a tube of RV Goop is on the shopping list though.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours have come off also.
I reattached them using a rubber tape similar to what the factory used. I don' t remember where I got it. Home Depot, I believe.

In any case, I have gotten in the habit of pushing from the edge of the glass to open and close the doors, instead of using the handles.

Trace

Mrsfish

Too funny - now I know what those 2 metal pieces are that we found in the shower the first time we moved our rig to storage. We had not used the shower yet so when we found these 'things' in the shower basin we thought they were- shower stops, braces of some sort or something left over from the factory. So now that I know what they are for I will dutifully get some goop and reapply. Favor please - as our rig is stored in the mountains and we won't be there for 4 days - could someone post a picture of what the handles are supposed to look like when properly adhered so I can put them on properly? Thanks and have good laugh with us over our 'ignorance'!!!

JanAndBill

Might want to be careful about moving your rig until you fix the shower doors. On ours, there is a latch that locks the doors open for travel. The handles have to be on the doors to lock them in place. Otherwise the door could move in travel and possilby shatter.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Might want to be careful about moving your rig until you fix the shower doors. On ours, there is a latch that locks the doors open for travel. The handles have to be on the doors to lock them in place. Otherwise the door could move in travel and possilby shatter.

The shower door latch let go on ours and jammed the doors against the front, knocking them off the tracks.
DW now puts a strap all the way around the doors and puts dowels in the bottom tracks when we are on the move.
This way the doors can not move.
On the newer rigs, the latch in question has been modified as more of a snap latch. It looks more secure. Trace

Last edited:

Greengas

The handles on my coach popped off on the drive home from the dealer. The latch popped during the drive also but the doors did not jump the track. Thanks for the info on the RV goop. I'm going to pick some up this weekend.

happykraut

could someone post a picture of what the handles are supposed to look like when properly adhered so I can put them on properly?
Here are a couple pics.Left doorIMG_0262.jpg right door IMG_0264.jpg left door looking from the right. IMG_0265.jpgNot the greatest pic, but I hope it helps

Last edited:

MCTalley

Another vote for RV Goop. Ours was always getting loose, but not quite falling off. I used RV Goop and what was left of the rubber sheeting and the handle hasn't moved since.

rnewk52

Ours fell off too. I went to a local auto glass shop and got some of the same glue that is used to install windshields in vehicles. I eliminated the thin rubber strips the factory uses to attach the handles to the glass. Trailer has been moved and used several times and no problems so far.

Theresau

Guess we'd better get some goop too - we'll store it in the drawer with the gorilla glue for the cabinet doors. :)

The handles on my coach popped off on the drive home from the dealer. The latch popped during the drive also but the doors did not jump the track. Thanks for the info on the RV goop. I'm going to pick some up this weekend.

tljack

Ours fell off too. I went to a local auto glass shop and got some of the same glue that is used to install windshields in vehicles. I eliminated the thin rubber strips the factory uses to attach the handles to the glass. Trailer has been moved and used several times and no problems so far.

I went to an auto glass repair shop today. He game me some primer and the adhesive. Told me that the most important thing about glass to metal is the prep. He said the adhesive that is used by glass shops is for glass to non ferris metal. He does not know how it will work with aluminum. He also said Gorilla glue will hold if the surface is correctly prepped. The handles are now on, seem tight. We are off to Missoula Mt. (about 100 miles) in the morning. Will see if they are still in place when we arrive.

tljack

When we arrived today in Hamilton Montana, both shower door handles were laying on the floor of the shower!!!:(

Greengas

RV Goop. Easy fix! But it fixes the symptom, not the true problem which is quality control at the factory. I truly don't want to keep sounding negative because I do love my new Landmark, but even something as simple as the shower handle coming off is something that HL should have to pay to fix, not the owner. Yes, it is a headache to take it back for something this simple, but if we don't start doing that and holding HL accountable then the true problem will not go away. Here's a thought, maybe we should send HL the receipt for the RV Goop and ask that they pay for it since we are doing our own warranty work. That would still cause them to have to do something and maybe it will get them to fix the problem from their end and stop relying on the goodwill of their customers to clean up their mess.

wdk450

I went to an auto glass repair shop today. He game me some primer and the adhesive. Told me that the most important thing about glass to metal is the prep. He said the adhesive that is used by glass shops is for glass to non ferris metal. He does not know how it will work with aluminum.[/QUOTE, ]

The word "Ferrous" means "containing iron". Aluminum is non-ferrous.

BTW, I first suggested the "Goop" product. There are many different types of packaging for this stuff (RVers, General, Automotive, Marine, Shoe, Plumbers, E3000, etc.) There are really just two formations - one with Ultraviolet exposure protection, and one without. I have been told that you can buy individual calk tubes of Marine Goop for about $6 at Home Depot, but I could only find a case size of these online.

marvmarcy

FWIW: I replaced the original rubber strip with a strip made from a bicycle tube and tapped the handle on with a rubber hammer. It has stayed in place for a year now.

tljack

FWIW: I replaced the original rubber strip with a strip made from a bicycle tube and tapped the handle on with a rubber hammer. It has stayed in place for a year now.
Thanks Marv. I talked to Heartland this morning and was then connected directly to the manufacture. Because the plastic insert in one handle broke, they hare sending me new handles with the instructions to install. Apparently they had gotten a bad batch of adhesive. I was told to clean surface real carefully. Next apply a coat of medium viscosity super glue to the handle. Then as you did, use a rubber mallet to drive it in place. This is how they do it in the factory. The handle will be ready to use in a few minutes. I asked permission to give out a contact number. This company is extremely interested in their customers being happy. For installation instructions and any parts contact their "Warranty Manager" at: 800-536-7324.