Silverado Duramax exhaust melting trim on my Landmark - turn-out tip OK to add?

JBoyerinAbq

Hello all. I have a 15 1/2 Silverado 3500hd dually and after a short trip this week, noticed the cheap, plastic trim (slides into a channel on the front edges) was deformed. A quick investigation revealed the exhaust is getting so hot, it is melting the plastic trim - in just a very small area. I have read not to use turn down tip due to fire hazard - but what about using the turn down like a turn-out tip. I think that would deflect enough of the heat to keep from damaging the trim again and should not be a fire hazard. I can't think of any negatives - so here I am - asking the experts! Comments?

danemayer

I think if my truck exhaust was melting the trim on the trailer, I would want to know why it's so hot.

Nbomar

Hello all. I have a 15 1/2 Silverado 3500hd dually and after a short trip this week, noticed the cheap, plastic trim (slides into a channel on the front edges) was deformed. A quick investigation revealed the exhaust is getting so hot, it is melting the plastic trim - in just a very small area. I have read not to use turn down tip due to fire hazard - but what about using the turn down like a turn-out tip. I think that would deflect enough of the heat to keep from damaging the trim again and should not be a fire hazard. I can't think of any negatives - so here I am - asking the experts! Comments?

Pretty sure if it has the dpf still in tact it has to have a vented exhaust tip.like factory. I haven't seen a turnout style tip. They might exist though. Another option is the have an exhaust shop modify the pipe before the trombone style tip to turn it out. I'm deleted so I don't go through those crazy hot regen cycles. When ford started the dpf setup, it used to blow flames out of the exhaust and burn paint off cars next to it at stop lights. Not sure it's even worth it to save the environment. I doubt it is saving much. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same truck and I pull a 2015 cyclone 4100 and my exhaust is 3 plus feet from my trailer and I have never had an issue. I know a guy who had this issue with a Ford but the Chevy's or at least mine does not point directly out the back it is shooting out the side. to answer your question about putting something on the exhaust to direct it away from your trailer should not be a problem as long as you don't angle it where it could destroy your paint on the fender. I know some boys who have added all types of exhaust tips and it did not effect theirs. i would call your dealer also as Dan stated.

GOTTOYS

My stock 15 Duramax has a ventilated exhaust tip from the factory. Never noticed any damage to my trailer and I've pulled some long distances in a day. Maybe you should check with your dealer to see why it gets so hot.

JBoyerinAbq

Thanks all - My initial post must have sounded worse than I intended. The thin plastic 1/2 inch wide trim is all that is getting disturbed. The rest is undisturbed. The truck is running as normal, temps well within range - I assume the trim was heated up during a regen cycle. I could pull the plastic off and I doubt anyone would notice. I'd like to just turn the end down a little. I'll look at the exhaust pipe again today. I though it was a straight - solid tube at least a foot back where it looks fluted. I know not to disturb any of that mess but see no issue trimming a little off the end for a "turnout".

I did read on a horse trailer group where a guy backed his horse trailer in "blind-side" so the tailpipe was closest to the actual front of the trailer - left the truck running while he unloaded horse and hay, and bubbled the paint.

Jeff

mlpeloquin

I have a 2013 GMC dully. No problems. I bet this occurs as you stated while the truck is in the regeneration cycle. I only once had to stop and get out while the truck was in the regeneration cycle. Boy it sure does get hot! I did not have the fifth wheel attached at the time.

Westwind

I have a 2015 GMC shortbed CC Duramax and my truck exhaust is located close to the front of my trailer but no problems with heat, we have towed 12 hours with fuel stops only and haven't had any problems with the exhaust melting any of the trailer trim close to the exhaust pipe. I'd be suspicious and check with the service manager, hopefully someone will have an idea or suggestion.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Have a '13 GMC and it has not melted anything. In Ca. it's a very big NO-NO to modify the exhaust at all. In fact most muffler shops will not do it. I tried to find a different chrome tip....the don't exist....well at least not here.

Bones

Have a '13 GMC and it has not melted anything. In Ca. it's a very big NO-NO to modify the exhaust at all. In fact most muffler shops will not do it. I tried to find a different chrome tip....the don't exist....well at least not here.
thats because the EPA and FEDS have the shops scared to death. They hold them responsible for the exhaust if they touch it and it was not from the factory that way. It all has to be OEM.

SNOKING

I followed a Duramax the other day and their exhaust is aim way aft compared to Ford's or Ram's. I would ask your trucks service manager how to handle the issue. Chris

kowAlski631

Somethings going on with your truck. We have a 2012 2500HD and have never had nor heard of your problem.