Single wheel or dually?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I just updated my tow vehicle to a dually. I haven't towed with it yet but the upgrade feels incredible.
Now I'm towing legally.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
6a4c4be64a79d70371229d93f4daedb5.jpg
fd1107f56f64e6d70ba52100f45de18f.jpg

We love our maroon Denali!
a1cce4595c525de2084dfe717b8381d9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

The real reason I opted for the drw was, "legal".
No matter what chassis and suspension upgrades I did, I was legally overweight.
No matter what upgrades you do to increase towing abilities of the srw it will not change the manufacturer rated gvw/ gcvw.
If you're in an accident and someone is injured or worse killed, the dot and states attorneys office can file charges.
I was for 12 year's a srw driver. No more.... I'm legal....
I figured I was lucky in twelve years no issues, but I'm not going to gamble.
Outside of towing capability differences, are there other reasons to choose one over the other?

e351fbd133ccbf9c9a1556a7cda5e84f.jpg
d1f9ce45fd7642cc7309e43fe58253f9.jpg

Last edited:

NYSUPstater

[h=2]Re: Single wheel or dually?[/h]
The real reason I opted for the drw was "legal".
No matter what chassis and suspension upgrades I did I was legally overweight.
No matter what upgrades you do to increase towing abilities of the srw it will not change the manufacturer rated gvw/ gcvw.
If you're in an accident and someone is injured or worse killed, the dot and states attorneys office can file charges.

Amen and well said.​

RickL

The real reason I opted for the drw was "legal".
No matter what chassis and suspension upgrades I did I was legally overweight.

Not to be a complete ahole about towing with a SRW but I will be. For years I always told the wife and kids if they were in an accident to do the usual exchange of information but then look at the other persons tires. When cell phones started to come with cameras I told them to take pictures. Having been in the tire business for 35+ years and seen what many people drive on I was prepared to sue for their poor maintenance decisions. When I comes to towing and having an undersized vehicle hit or cause an accident I would do the same thing. People that take the chance and fail should be held accountable for their personal decisions. Just my opinion though.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Looking mighty fine with those stainless steel nerf rails! . I recently gave my OEM black rails to a friend with a new truck and a short wife! She loves ‘em.

carl.swoyer

Looking mighty fine with those stainless steel nerf rails! . I recently gave my OEM black rails to a friend with a new truck and a short wife! She loves ‘em.

That's a really Sharp truck!

carl.swoyer

Traveltiger,
I was wondering if you could let me know what you are using for mud flaps and do they keep road debris off the rig?... Now that I'm a very happy dually Silverado owner I need new flaps. My first time towing was such a pleasure. But my fifth wheel was covered with road mess.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Dmetcalf

We also went from a SWR to a DRW and agree that the stability factor is much improved..! It does take a bit to get used to the wider rear fenders but that's minor overall honestly. Glad I stepped up ..!

Attachments

• new Cyclone 4007.jpg
    new Cyclone 4007.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 34

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Traveltiger,
I was wondering if you could let me know what you are using for mud flaps and do they keep road debris off the rig?... Now that I'm a very happy dually Silverado owner I need new flaps. My first time towing was such a pleasure. But my fifth wheel was covered with road mess.

Here are the mud flaps we added. In Texas, dually trucks are required to have them.

I can't say for sure if they keep a bunch of stuff off the rig -- haven't towed with them yet. But man it does make a mess without them! (This statement only makes sense when you hear this -- we upgraded from the 13 to a 16! And had to add mud flaps, since we bought it out of state!)

Husky Liners Dually Rear Mud... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQYEH8Y?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

NYSUPstater

FWIW, I added extensions to my dually mudflaps as well. The extensions are the top part used on semi's 1/4 fenders for drive tires. Add's a few inches to flaps.

If someone can re-tell me how to post pics, I can take some to show you.

NYSUPstater

Snoking,

A quick question. The pic you posted w/ the Rock Tamer, I thought I could use my old Ultraguard flap from my SRW (when I had it) w/ the BC, but it looked like it would hit the coach. Last coach, the front area was slanted rearward at bottom thus allowing more room. The BC's is flat and I didn't want to chance it. So my question is, should it make no difference if SRW or DRW, short box or long box, if you have a drawbar hitch mounted aux mudflap and not hit front of coach while turning? :confused:

SNOKING

Snoking,

A quick question. The pic you posted w/ the Rock Tamer, I thought I could use my old Ultraguard flap from my SRW (when I had it) w/ the BC, but it looked like it would hit the coach. Last coach, the front area was slanted rearward at bottom thus allowing more room. The BC's is flat and I didn't want to chance it. So my question is, should it make no difference if SRW or DRW, short box or long box, if you have a drawbar hitch mounted aux mudflap and not hit front of coach while turning? :confused:

I had a similar one on a SRW RAM towing a bumper pull snowmobile trailer. The one pictured allows the flaps to be slide in and out I believe. The one I had was fixed. It worked pretty well at keeping the front of the trailer free of snow and gravel. Chris

WillyBill

Carl - congrats on the upgrade!

We love our Dually Too!!! This must be a rather popular color in this group? LOL. We did vary with the fold up steps - they don't hold the mud n stuff that the fixed steps do and add a bit of increase in ground clearance. We did not choose them - they were already on the truck (purchased with 16,500 miles on it) - also - when they deploy they are a little closer to the ground for easier entry by us older folks.

2015 Denali Dually.jpg
WB

carl.swoyer

FWIW, I added extensions to my dually mudflaps as well. The extensions are the top part used on semi's 1/4 fenders for drive tires. Add's a few inches to flaps.

If someone can re-tell me how to post pics, I can take some to show you.
Scroll down and click on
Photo, files.
From there you can choose your source.

carl.swoyer

We also went from a SWR to a DRW and agree that the stability factor is much improved..! It does take a bit to get used to the wider rear fenders but that's minor overall honestly. Glad I stepped up ..!
I grew up last month to a dually Silverado 3500 cc lb Duramax and Allison. I saw the light! Lol
6180ddabf354c444f9655309593e6bfa.jpg

CDN

B and B
For now a SRW will be my TV and I will be under CCC with the new Landmark. I helped a fellow HOA RV club member that was stuck with his DRW in the snow and ice yesterday. I pulled his Fifth Wheel out with my SRW as the DRW just slipped and slid all over the place. Once I retire and we spend more time on the road I will look at DRW away from snow.

chiefneon

Howdy!

We have a 2014 Cyclone 4000 we fulltime in and recently picked up our new 2018 3500 Chevrolet HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler. I decided not to go with fifth wheel hitch this time. I changed out the pin box on the 5er the a Reece Goose Box 20,000 lb pin box. Only hooked up for a shot haul recently but really like the drive, ride and the way it tows. Truck has a lot of bells and whistles which the lovely wife wanted along with others features that were added by 2L Custom Trucks out of Poolville, Texas. Wayland Long at 2L did a great job building out the truck and my wife loves the custom air ride system.

195B303E-48DA-4640-A191-7B642A89BDED.jpgAB798D79-1E57-4CBE-AA00-097600B472B1.jpg773CC8E9-BACC-4F1C-A7AB-E8114833512E.jpgA2C3D76F-1AB0-496B-8404-170F4CE4B466.jpg

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon